Recruiting/Scouting Companies

I_dont_get_it

My son got 2 letters from, for lack of a better term, recruiting or scouting companies.

One is an invite to play in the King Kamehameha Pigskin Classic in Hawaii, which costs $2300. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" It's addressed from Vic Wallace, the head coach at Lambuth University in Jackson, TN. I'm not sure what this is all about, unless it's to get him exposure to coaches. It's tied to a company called "Elite Sports International".

The other is from "Recruit College Sports Scouting", which is located in Maryland. The letter states "Based on the athletic ability our scout observed" they want to setup a personal evaluation interview with him and his parents.

Are these some types of scams, or what? I feel almost certain they haven't seen him play in person, and not sure who they target, nor why, or if it's just "shotgun effect" marketing. The one about the Hawaii trip even spelled his name waaaay wrong.

He plays in a small town that doesn't get much attention, and is not a superstar athlete with every college in the country beating down the door, but I would love to get him in somewhere on a scholarship, and he would love nothing more than to play college football. I'm just looking for some input from some who may have already gone through the recruiting process.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have been through the recruiting process before..i was always told that if you had to pay for it its not the good.. casue all the top scouting companies do not charge you..well if they do it may be 20 or something and that usually covers a shirt or two along with the use of the facilities they use..so before you spend money always look into it

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My son got 2 letters from, for lack of a better term, recruiting or scouting companies.

One is an invite to play in the King Kamehameha Pigskin Classic in Hawaii, which costs $2300. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" It's addressed from Vic Wallace, the head coach at Lambuth University in Jackson, TN. I'm not sure what this is all about, unless it's to get him exposure to coaches. It's tied to a company called "Elite Sports International".

The other is from "Recruit College Sports Scouting", which is located in Maryland. The letter states "Based on the athletic ability our scout observed" they want to setup a personal evaluation interview with him and his parents.

Are these some types of scams, or what? I feel almost certain they haven't seen him play in person, and not sure who they target, nor why, or if it's just "shotgun effect" marketing. The one about the Hawaii trip even spelled his name waaaay wrong.

He plays in a small town that doesn't get much attention, and is not a superstar athlete with every college in the country beating down the door, but I would love to get him in somewhere on a scholarship, and he would love nothing more than to play college football. I'm just looking for some input from some who may have already gone through the recruiting process.

I know somebody that got that same Recruit College Sports Scouting thing and we are the same way we live in a small town that don't get much attention. But if it is real then I would love for him to go to college even though they don't offer what he is wanting to be. It would help out alot with money for college.

my coach told me the recruit college sports scouting was a scam last year. thats just what I was told, it was sort of confusing though as I was actually being recruited. If you wanna get your child recruited send in questionarires that are easily available on the web into schools. Have tape, schedules, and coaches info ready.

thats just my .02

These are the things that you have to do. Get game film from the coach, if he will give them to you. Break the films down to show your son making plays. Send tapes to colleges that your son may be interested in. Don't be fooled by people giving you the D1 college hype. There is a college out there for any kid that can play the game and pass the classes. Send cover letters along with the film. Keep a list of the colleges that you sent the information to along with the date(s) sent. In your cover letter be sure and request that all correspondence be sent directly to your home and not the school. You should start getting correspondence in about 2-3 weeks. Once the correspondence starts coming back to you, keep up with the dates and the names of the schools that responded. That is about it in a nut shell. Believe you/me it works! How do I know it works! Because this is what I do. It is very time consuming, but is worth it. Coaches do not have the extra time to do this.

my personal opinion is that most scouting companies can not do anything for you that you can't do yourself...there are a few rare exceptions where someone has an inside contact you may not have, but most of the time the scouting companies don't...they are just sending stats and film to coaches as you can do yourself...my oldest son's senior year I got film and had a highlight film made and sent a complete game film out and he got signed...you can do it yourself much cheaper