Recruiting/Scouting Companies

I_dont_get_it

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am back. I have been extremely busy. Glad my information was helpful. I ask that once you do this and it works out for you let me know and pass the information along. This information works for any sport. If you feel like your kid is good enough, then be his or her spokesperson. If you don't have a subscription to one of the sports sites like rivals or sports.com, look into getting one. Not very expensive at all. Go onto every college site. Looking at the teams and their records may give you a clue as to the playes that that team needs. For those kids that are already seniors, go ahead a get film of the games already played or junior film. Remember, seniors have to be registered with the clearing house to become eligible for D1 schools. The clearing house also has good information regarding recruiting. It has a list of all colleges and universities in the United States. Look as some of the colleges that you may not know anything about. It is all about the free education, and making the program you play for better. Get a notebook, envelope labels, large envelopes, and several books of stamps. Depending on where you are sending your information, it usually cost about $3 to send each envelope. 'Spending 100-120 dollars tops is not bad for a free 4 year education. I suggest you send the information to 30 schools. Type your cover letter. Use the same cover letter for each school, but remember to change the name of the coach. Include in you letter, height, weight, 40 speed, position(s) that you play, your school name, coaches name and contact information. Also give a brief description of what you feel you can bring to the team. Talk back if you have futher question. Good Luck!

I forgot to mention something very important. There are people out there that will try to discourage you. Unless there is someone else that you are trying to help, keep things on the down low. I can't wait until you start getting letters. The look on the face of your kid will be priceless. By the way, my son did get a big time division one scholarship. He is a Senior and will be signing on February 6.

two years ago my brother got the exact same letter, but im not sure on the money issue.. never heard about the 2300 dollar thing.. but he did participate in the hawaiian bowl for high school football athletes.. and did et about 4-6 offers and he is now playing for UAB, im not sure who tipsy was talking to but im WR/FS 6'2 185 avg. 4.6 40

• 2 weeks later...

If you were going to go with a recruiting company, what would you want them to do for you? Would it be worth investing a little money to save time and energy?

If you are a 4A or 5A player you really do not need these scouting organization. Or if you ar an athelete from Division 2 or from schools like Alcoa and Goodpasture in the smaller classification

However, they are good in getting kids from smaller classifications some exposure. They do a good job educating you as a parent and athelete. They can be benefical in helping a kid flying under the recruiting radar screen. I would think these agencies probably benefit the kids who are NAIA, Division 2 and Division 3 in athletic talent.

The Next Level: A Prep's Guide to College Recruiting by Joe Hornback

I highly recommend this paperback book for college recruiting (not just D-I). It contains some awesome information on what the athlete, as well as parents, should expect in the recruiting process. I got mine through Amazon.com for about $10. It gives the same advice as TIPSY did, plus more. I got this book when my son started receiving letters and attention - we did not want to be ignorant on the ins and outs of the recruiting process.

Mr. Hornback also does not favor recruiting companies - save yourself the money, and do it yourself. We did it, not knowing much of anything about football & making highlight tapes, and it still was effective. The college coaches know what they are looking at, and if they see even a glimmer of talent, they'll be contacting you. DEFINITELY fill out the questionnaires, found on most college websites. Sometimes the questionnaires are the only thing that alerts a coach to the possible talent. The coaches will usually then contact the high school coach, and start the process from there. The college coaches don't all have time to find you - you need to find them!

The recruiting process can be an enjoyable process, but can also be an absolute CIRCUS - enough that it becomes a distraction for the athlete. (Been there, done that, and glad it's over!)