Ensworth vs. McCallie

tigerfan55

I dont know if experance is a problem either. Ensworth has been playing a full varsity schudeule and many of Ensworth's seniors and juniors have been starting since they were freshman. They may have not been playing D 2 calibure schools, but they still have played other varsity schools since they were a freshman. If anything Ensworth has more experance playing a Varsity schedule than anyone.

You make an interesting point, but I think maybe you take it a bit too far. Ensworth's sophomores are probably more experienced than most of their opponent's sophomores: they've played a varsity schedule, albeit not one that I would characterize as being on par with their current division. I think that their youth is going to cost them some this season. In the long run, the experience that they gain will be a major benefit, in the same way that MBA's painful season last year gave a lot of good varsity experience to players who probably would have played mostly JV football, absent MBA's injury problems.

Ensworth's approach to developing its program is interesting, especially in contrast with the next youngest member of the Super 7, BA. BA spent several years in lower divisions before they moved into the highest echelon; Ensworth has made this move before they even had seniors. This is not meant in any way to throw stones at BA's program, but it is an interesting comparison.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ensworth's approach to developing its program is interesting, especially in contrast with the next youngest member of the Super 7, BA. BA spent several years in lower divisions before they moved into the highest echelon; Ensworth has made this move before they even had seniors. This is not meant in any way to throw stones at BA's program, but it is an interesting comparison.

Ensworth's approach considered the development of the kids who took a risk and joined a brand new program...these players voted to enter DII at this point...they know they can be competitive and they aren't afraid of losing: ""The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotion, spends himself in a worthy cause; who at best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement; and who at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who have never tasted victory or defeat."Theodore Roosevelt

Ensworth's approach considered the development of the kids who took a risk and joined a brand new program...these players voted to enter DII at this point...they know they can be competitive and they aren't afraid of losing: ""The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotion, spends himself in a worthy cause; who at best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement; and who at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who have never tasted victory or defeat."Theodore Roosevelt

I admire Ensworth's approach, although I suspect they'll be more likely to remember an anonymous quote about how it's difficult to focus on the ultimate goal of draining the swamp when one is up to one's hip pads in alligators. I maintain, however, that they're likely to surprise somebody...my hope is that it'll be Father Ryan, but that's just me.

I agree with much that has been written. Ensworth cannot claim-nor is it claiming- to have no experience, etc. Yes, most of these young men have been playing a lot at the varisty level, albeit not alsways top-flite DII teams. They have gently moved into this. Their schedule is really not a joke, and you will find many schools with weaker opponents on their schedules, sometimes a division lower. Surely, EHS will be tested Friday night and in the coming weeks. The only thing i WILL draw attention to is the fact that they have the smallest pool of young men to draw from in DIV II AA (about 200) . . . not an excuse, just an observation, and the school was well aware of this before they opted for DII AA. It does mean a lack of depth. I suspect that Ensworth will need to win v. McCallie with big plays (kick returns, break a big run or two), and a turnover or two.

I think that their youth is going to cost them some this season. In the long run, the experience that they gain will be a major benefit, in the same way that MBA's painful season last year gave a lot of good varsity experience to players who probably would have played mostly JV football, absent MBA's injury problems.

Well as a matter of fact I believe that all of our junior or senior are at exactly the same age as every one else. I guess BA might be holding some 20-25 year olds in their deck but I think that our general 16-18 average age and the fact that all of the juniors and seniors have been playing since they were freshman should put us about on par with everyone else. It is a good point that this is only our second full varsity season and that last year, as the beginning of this year were fluffy but Coach Bower's is trying to start a program and ramp up interest. Not have his team go out there and get beaten down every friday by the likes of MBA, and Father Ryan when his oldest guys are juniors but now he has stepped it up and for the rest of the season we have some pretty tough games scheduled. Along with people from the big 7 which has been copiously annotated so I won't bother giving out all the annoying acronyms. So anyways I don't think that experience is going to be the issue in this game but that what it will come down to is who plays better and which team wants the win more. But I also know that our whole team is fired up and no one is thinking about putting the first "X" in the loss column.

Well as a matter of fact I believe that all of our junior or senior are at exactly the same age as every one else. I guess BA might be holding some 20-25 year olds in their deck but I think that our general 16-18 average age and the fact that all of the juniors and seniors have been playing since they were freshman should put us about on par with everyone else. It is a good point that this is only our second full varsity season and that last year, as the beginning of this year were fluffy but Coach Bower's is trying to start a program and ramp up interest. Not have his team go out there and get beaten down every friday by the likes of MBA, and Father Ryan when his oldest guys are juniors but now he has stepped it up and for the rest of the season we have some pretty tough games scheduled. Along with people from the big 7 which has been copiously annotated so I won't bother giving out all the annoying acronyms. So anyways I don't think that experience is going to be the issue in this game but that what it will come down to is who plays better and which team wants the win more. But I also know that our whole team is fired up and no one is thinking about putting the first "X" in the loss column.

In your first sentence, you say your juniors and seniors are the same age as every one else's; later, you point out that Ensworth has scheduled some lightweights because their oldest players are juniors. Either age and experience doesn't matter, or it does; your post puts you very strongly on both sides of that fence.

For the record, I think experience is helpful. Additionally, I admire Ensworth's courage in jumping in with the big boys from the start. I think it shows courage, and I think it sends a message to the Ensworth players that Bowers believes in them. I just think that they're going to have some rough evenings before they're truly competitive at this level, an accomplishment they'll achieve sooner rather than later.