Jefferson County vs Cocke

JC4life

anyone agree that this may be the game that we can work on some things that may benefit us in the region later on down the road?

i.e. ironing out some major questions in the passing game. we can run it all we want and we must do so in order to win games. running the ball is, was, and forever will be jeff co football on some level. but sometimes, like the greenville game, you have to play from behind and the ole running game is not very condusive in doing so. i would hate to be in a do-or-die game with playoff implications in late october, down by 4 in the 4th and have a 2 minute drill staring us in the face. i don't assume that we get a whole lot of work on such things.

along this same line passing game line, what is the deal with the big WR. seems to be a great kid and one of the best pure athletes to come through JC in a while. on paper, he is an all american. in addition, i hope he brings home a gold or something in the 2012 olympic games, but i digress. his receiving skills just havent been refined as much as i thought they would have by nearly halfway through his junior season. light at the end of his tunnel?? any other possible big play guys? you look at any great JC teams, and they had a big play WR. it will open up the run game more than any old JCHS '87 championship sweatshirt wearing fart will admit. milton woods, tyler brown, even ole taylor quarles had a nice target in todd collins, TE.

IMO, this game should be easily won by a superior Patriot team. that being said, we have all seen a CC over JC upset. this rivalry is not nearly as heated as it used to be, trust me, but CC still scares the old Patriot in me. Regardless, if we get a comfortable lead, we should get some gametime learning in. it would be good for the players, and nothing short of great for the coaches.

JC4Life, anyone talked to gut about his sideline attire?? funny, yes, but the ole guys with binocs dont find it too amusing from my understanding. same ole gut, haha.

A big part of me hopes that Coach Gut has a dip in during the game. Even though some would view this as a possible bad influence on the kids, I think it would be great for the team.

I agree with your insight on the WR situation, I've said the same thing in previous threads. It's not just a deep threat we need, we need that 15-20 yard post to be there when we need it.

Stepp is a good kid and a hard worker, any short comings he may have aren't because of lack of effort thats for sure.

I think we could use a TE in the future years. If you look at Alex "Hands of Stone" Clamon he was open a lot during the Meadows Wing T years, never caught anything but he was open. I think a TE up the middle would fit into the ol Veer Gut formation down the line.

Sounds like CC is down this year, always good to meet up with our brothers from the County of Cocke.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to me that just says we don`t work on it very much even in practice. As far as Stepp's receiving skills, it must be noted that he didn`t play his freshman year, and through last season and this one he's never been in an offense that passed consistently so the chances to hone his receiving skills are pretty low.

thats my point exactly with stepp and the coaching of the passing game. he has all the talent in the world, and we need to exploit it. we don't have to become a run-and-shoot team for him to be effective and pay dividends. a couple of well executed passing plays would give us a TD or two a game. i'm no spurrier, but i will take my chances with a kid who can jump out of the stadium and run like a deer over the 5'9" CBs and Safeties (the Houstons arent playing in the region anymore are they?) that are going to be thrown at him. Zack doesnt have to be an all-american, just put it out there for him to run or jump to get. just a little plea to the coaching staff, thats all. but thats why they get payed the big bucks. and i promise it wont kill that veer, only open it up.

brimer jr. knows what he is doing, he can teach him all the skills he needs to be effective in East TN.

CC considers this game their "State Championship Game". If they beat Jeff Co, they have a winning season. Jeff Co had better not take them to lightly like Campbell County and Greenville.

correct. CC will be up for this game to say the least. we are a better team, but like i said, we have all experienced the CC over JC upset.

this is like the army/navy game. winner of the game automatically calls the season a success, no matter the final record.

Stepp is a good kid and a hard worker, any short comings he may have aren't because of lack of effort thats for sure.

I think we could use a TE in the future years. If you look at Alex "Hands of Stone" Clamon he was open a lot during the Meadows Wing T years, never caught anything but he was open. I think a TE up the middle would fit into the ol Veer Gut formation down the line.

I really didnt mean to come across harsh on Stepp, thats for sure. if anything i was just applauding his abilities and asking why our coaches havent been able to utilize him. my apologizes if it sounded otherwise. just a round-about way of saying that we need to throw the ball to him, he can be a big play guy, as may some other kids we have that arent being used.

alex clamon, haha. wow, how many sure receptions slipped through those hands. but talking about great kids, he is one.

I agree with your insight on the WR situation, I've said the same thing in previous threads. It's not just a deep threat we need, we need that 15-20 yard post to be there when we need it.

Lol poor Alex dropped a lot of passes when he was wide open too, couldn`t ask for a better teammate though.

I think we`ve been trying to do too many things with the passing game ever since Meadows left. We had WR's running 15-20 double moves with the QB rolling out in the Euverard era where by the time the WR got open the QB was eating grass. Here were trying to set up the one big play down field, after cramming it down the other teams throat for 2 quarters. Yeah Tyler Brown made his living down field, but some of his best work was off all the 5yd stop routes that we ran. We do not need to run anything all that special to do some things in the passing game, and we don`t need a Jarrod Houston, David Yokely, Tyler Brown type guy to do it either. If the guys we have now aren`t capable of running 7yds down field and turning around we need to start forfeiting games. Slants, outs, and stop routes with a stop and go or fade every now and then is all we need. They are simple plays to run, and for the most part have little risk involved. Yeah it would be great to be able to run 20yd post routes or dare I say........ it a post corner, but we can looses up a defense with the short passing game as well. All we have to do is make one guy miss off a stop route and its nothing but green grass for days. We really are making things more complicated than they need to be.

CC considers this game their "State Championship Game". If they beat Jeff Co, they have a winning season. Jeff Co had better not take them to lightly like Campbell County and Greenville.

I generally look forward to Greeneville/ CC because they always come out with fire. I just didn't see the spark in this CC team...they were big and slow...not athletic and not near as mean as they usually are. With limited talent and in apparent poor physical condition, it would help to have some of that Cocke County attitude which seemed to be lacking in the Greeneville game.....They were whipped in the first quarter and played the rest of the game that way. If JC jumps on them early and doesn't let up..this one should go the Pats way.

I really didnt mean to come across harsh on Stepp, thats for sure. if anything i was just applauding his abilities and asking why our coaches havent been able to utilize him. my apologizes if it sounded otherwise. just a round-about way of saying that we need to throw the ball to him, he can be a big play guy, as may some other kids we have that arent being used.

alex clamon, haha. wow, how many sure receptions slipped through those hands. but talking about great kids, he is one.

Yeah I knew you didn't and I wasn't trying to make it seem like you were bashing him. I just try and keep it positive when a kid gets brought up.

Alex is a model Tennessean and a great Patriot in every since of the word. I graduated with him and never let a chance go by to get a jab in on him. With that said, he couldn't catch a crippled grasshopper.

Lol poor Alex dropped a lot of passes when he was wide open too, couldn`t ask for a better teammate though.

I think we`ve been trying to do too many things with the passing game ever since Meadows left. We had WR's running 15-20 double moves with the QB rolling out in the Euverard era where by the time the WR got open the QB was eating grass. Here were trying to set up the one big play down field, after cramming it down the other teams throat for 2 quarters. Yeah Tyler Brown made his living down field, but some of his best work was off all the 5yd stop routes that we ran. We do not need to run anything all that special to do some things in the passing game, and we don`t need a Jarrod Houston, David Yokely, Tyler Brown type guy to do it either. If the guys we have now aren`t capable of running 7yds down field and turning around we need to start forfeiting games. Slants, outs, and stop routes with a stop and go or fade every now and then is all we need. They are simple plays to run, and for the most part have little risk involved. Yeah it would be great to be able to run 20yd post routes or dare I say........ it a post corner, but we can looses up a defense with the short passing game as well. All we have to do is make one guy miss off a stop route and its nothing but green grass for days. We really are making things more complicated than they need to be.

I have to applaud Gut for sticking to his guns. I'm like you, I think if we had to we could have a great passing attack. I just think that Gut, as well as the boys, have confidence in our running game and they are dedicated to making it work.

Brimer Jr. has done a good job in his time on the coaching staff, I would like to see him take over his dad's spot soon, in all seriousness.

Brimer Jr. would have an X-Box and a TV hooked up in the press box playing NCAA Football and calling plays based on what works on there. That would be interesting. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

QUOTE(LawyerMilloy @ Sep 26 2007 - 01:12 PM)

I think if we had to we could have a great passing attack. I just think that Gut, as well as the boys, have confidence in our running game and they are dedicated to making it work.

Brimer Jr. has done a good job in his time on the coaching staff, I would like to see him take over his dad's spot soon, in all seriousness.

I'm confused by your comments. You agree with JC4LIFE's accessment that we have no passing game....long or short. but you think our coaches have done a good job. ???

Well I predicted a record between 4-6 and 6-4, and so far we are right on pace for that. We lost to a team I thought we`d beat(Campbell Co) and beat a team I thought we`d lose to (Mo West). So for right now I`d say we're on par for what I expected. I think we can beat Karns, and Cocke County, I think we`ll lose to Bearden, and S.Hill and Sevier Co are toss ups. I don`t think there's a team left on our schedule we can`t beat, but doing it is a different story.

As far as coaching, I hate to even go there since its the middle of the season, but at this point I`d give the offense a C+, defense a B+, overall coaching a B.

And Id give you and warlock an F, for FOCKING STUPID!!!! Give me a break, we have overachieved big time...considering we lost the starting QB and most of the line. We won 3 games last year (did you forget?), and we are running a brand new offense this year with a first year starter at QB!!!! How could anybody say that we have underachieved!!!! We, when I say "we" I mean 1 or two players, hang on to the football.....and yeah, we could be undefeated right now!!! Still yet, we have overachieved very much so!!!! Up 14-0 on DB in the 1st qtr, we had a turnover, and go braindead on one def series and boom, theyre right back in the game!!! As far as the coaching goes....how could you not give it an A+??? Offense is great, Deffense is great, Special teams is great!!! For a first year coach with a 3 win team that lost a lot of kids, id say he and his staff have done one heck of a job!!! By the way, JC4Life, please never let me know who you are so that I can come to your house and smash your computer over your gay head!!! PLEASE!!! D.A.!!

Brimer Jr. would have an X-Box and a TV hooked up in the press box playing NCAA Football and calling plays based on what works on there. That would be interesting. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

VERY SOON, heck he's in the press box already and has been for some years its just a natural progression(that and I think we`d throw the ball around the yard a good amount too.) Your NCAA comment makes me think of some of the plays coach Hutchins would throw at us that he had the scout team running, that and coach Whitehead yelling that he should be showing us stuff we`d actually see in a game, ahhhhhhh good times /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

I generally look forward to Greeneville/ CC because they always come out with fire. I just didn't see the spark in this CC team...they were big and slow...not athletic and not near as mean as they usually are. With limited talent and in apparent poor physical condition, it would help to have some of that Cocke County attitude which seemed to be lacking in the Greeneville game.....They were whipped in the first quarter and played the rest of the game that way. If JC jumps on them early and doesn't let up..this one should go the Pats way.

Barb, you are probably the only non-Cocke County fan that has something to say in every single CC thread..... more often than not, something in a condescending manner. Thank you so much for reminding the CC faithful of Greeneville's superiority in everything. It truly is a blessing to have your input regarding our teams.

Back to the JC/CC game:

I know this is a rivalry game and anything can happen. However, Cocke County is really struggling right now. Unfortunately, I believe that most of what occurs on the field will be to the Patriots' liking. Good luck to both teams, and hopefully we can renew this rivalry in a respectable manner.

I'm confused by your comments. You agree with JC4LIFE's accessment that we have no passing game....long or short. but you think our coaches have done a good job. ???

What I mean is I'd rather see us run/pass 95/5% than try to air it out like some people want and just not have any success.

I have full confidence that Gut knows these boys better than anyone that posts on a website, and he and Big Brimer call the plays that they know the boys can execute.

If Zach could hit Stepp on a go route every other down, don't you think they would call the play? It's not Brimer being conservative or anything like that. We do what we are best at, and it has been working pretty good.

Like somebody said, you take away some of our big mistakes and we could be undefeated.