Sullivan South @ Daniel Boone

compusatman

Who Wins?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

It's just plain stupid.

I know he's the best athlete on the team. If it was a tight game, I could see it, but with a 30 point lead, why would you gamble the rest of your season on an irrelevant kick return?

He killed us, of course, but Kitzmiller also killed us. Looked good on the INT return for a TD.

Actually a good game until about 2 minutes to go before halftime, but the South TD was compounded by the fumbled kick return and subsequent TD, put Boone in the bottom of the hole looking up, and changed the gameplan.

Anyway, still good to see Masters back on track, with 184 yards. Gives him about 700 so far.

Biggest story of the night was the littlest guy on the field. Calvin McCray, #9. Was the leading tackler for Boone, making his first start since nearly being killed in a bullriding accident. One tough guy.

The last paragraph of your post is probably the most important thing on this entire thread. It is great to see him back out there. Thanks for a little dose of perspective.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear that Curt has been running back all punts and kick offs the last 2 weeks. Understand coach held open try outs for the job and #10 was chosen. If true...that seems pretty risky to me when there has to be someone else that could perform those tasks well enough without the potential of a devastating injury.

All this crap about a kid not playing both ways really doesn't sit well with me. If I coached South, Curt would be playing defense also. The "not going both ways" theory doesn't make sense to me in high school. Put your 11 best on the field and play. They're young and they can handle it. Did anyone see the Foley/Daphne game on ESPN last night? The consensus number ONE player in the country with 51 D-1A offers was playing both ways. Several D-1A players on the field from both teams going both ways. Both teams were loaded with talent so you can't say they didn't have someone they could put out there besides the studs. That's the way high school football should be played. Give 'em a rest here and there, but if they can go, let 'em go.

All this crap about a kid not playing both ways really doesn't sit well with me. If I coached South, Curt would be playing defense also. The "not going both ways" theory doesn't make sense to me in high school. Put your 11 best on the field and play. They're young and they can handle it. Did anyone see the Foley/Daphne game on ESPN last night? The consensus number ONE player in the country with 51 D-1A offers was playing both ways. Several D-1A players on the field from both teams going both ways. Both teams were loaded with talent so you can't say they didn't have someone they could put out there besides the studs. That's the way high school football should be played. Give 'em a rest here and there, but if they can go, let 'em go.

Volman

I hear where your coming from. If you've got THE player (which South does) and he can help you where ever you line him up then he should be out there. But the example you stated was regarding 2 teams that had many D1 players...that aint the case around here. If they were playing teams with that type of talent then yeah I understand but they wont be playing teams around here where he is arguably not the best player on the field. Then if he was to get hurt playing against Central (no disrespect) running back a kick and is lost for a game against TN High or down the road in the playoffs, then it seems to me the risk/reward factor is weighted heavy in favor of risk. Honestly, with the talent South lines up with week to week, there should be very few situations where they need him putting the season on the line fielding kicks. In fact, I heard Jeffers faired very well in the open try outs.

I agree that if there wasn't so much riding on it, Curt would be a great addition to the defensive side of the ball. But if he was playing for my team, I would be a little jumpy having him run back punts/KOs and taking shots. Just my opinion. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

VolmanI hear where your coming from. If you've got THE player (which South does) and he can help you where ever you line him up then he should be out there. But the example you stated was regarding 2 teams that had many D1 players...that aint the case around here. If they were playing teams with that type of talent then yeah I understand but they wont be playing teams around here where he is arguably not the best player on the field. Then if he was to get hurt playing against Central (no disrespect) running back a kick and is lost for a game against TN High or down the road in the playoffs, then it seems to me the risk/reward factor is weighted heavy in favor of risk. Honestly, with the talent South lines up with week to week, there should be very few situations where they need him putting the season on the line fielding kicks. In fact, I heard Jeffers faired very well in the open try outs.I agree that if there wasn't so much riding on it, Curt would be a great addition to the defensive side of the ball. But if he was playing for my team, I would be a little jumpy having him run back punts/KOs and taking shots. Just my opinion. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Gotta agree with maroon on this one. Open tryouts?!?! What is this, pee wee ball?

Coach Carter is a good coach. I would be surprised to see Curt returning kicks this week. No disrespect meant on my behalf either towards any of the Rebel's opponents. Curt does have the potential of breaking it every time he touches it. How many times has he scored on a busted play or a play when the WR's couldn't get open. A bunch from what I hear. It's hard to resist putting him back there on the kicks I must confess. Kitzmiller, the MLC, leading receiver in yards and catches just seems to have a problem back there. He's muffed a few and struggled with it a bit. Just might not be his thing, but he's one heck of an athlete. No one can deny he has been fantastic on both O and D though. After lengthy discussions with friends, I understand that Fletcher had done it in the past successfully and put up almost 1000 yards in 8th grade and 9th grade rushing. Hurt last season in early DB game. He is elusive and fast, not to mention he isn't afraid to run you over. Strong kid. Also, the Gibson kid did well earlier in the year. Had a great return vs. the Hill that I saw. Gibson and Fletcher are both Juniors like Kitzmiller. So they could hold down the job for two years. I was also told the sophomore Watterson rushed for 1000 yards in 8th grade and returned kicks. Also hurt last season, like Fletcher. I am told he may be only second to Curt in the speed department. Or could the younger Phillips do it? My point is: Curt returning kicks/punts scares me. (BTW, Satchump, I put the TWO T's and TWO L's in Watterson and Phillips like you pointed out to me on a DB thread. Sorry to bruise your delicate feelings! Just playing. Thought you were going away from posting on CoachT for good, by the way.??) Oh, and back to the thread. South 45Central 12

I'll put this out there, and see if anybody agrees:

You're ahead by 30, and Phillips is returning a punt. He takes a bad hit and breaks a leg or twists a knee. Now South is reduced to a first round playoff team. Was it a good call now? Sure, something like that could happen on any play, but the more unnecessary plays he's in on, the greater the chances. If I'm coaching, (and I'm not), i see it like this: If we need him, he's in there, if we don't I'm not going to get him hurt. A player like that doesn't come along very often, and he gives you a shot at going deeper into the playoffs. If he goes down, I wouldn't want to say that I shouldn't have had him in there.

Well, of course you don't have him in there if you're up by 30, but if it's a tight game, I'd have him in there on as many plays as possible.......offense, defense and special teams. And, I'm not talking about just Curt. I say have your best 11 on the field as much as possible. Use the other guys to give them breathers through out the game. This idea that you need 11 for O, 11 for D and then a special teams group is over rated in high school. College and pros do it because they can. They have enough bodies with talent to specialize. Most high schools don't. And not one high school in this area does.

Well, of course you don't have him in there if you're up by 30, but if it's a tight game, I'd have him in there on as many plays as possible.......offense, defense and special teams. And, I'm not talking about just Curt. I say have your best 11 on the field as much as possible. Use the other guys to give them breathers through out the game. This idea that you need 11 for O, 11 for D and then a special teams group is over rated in high school. College and pros do it because they can. They have enough bodies with talent to specialize. Most high schools don't. And not one high school in this area does.

But what I was referring to, was that the previous week, he WAS returning punts in the 2nd half of a game, when South was already up by 30 over Boone. Evidently, someone must have mentioned it to Stacy, as he didn't do it this week.

Almost nobody I know around here in high school plays 11 on offense and another 11 on defense. My only point is, if I had a player that was that special, and my team relied on him so much, I don't take a chance on losing him when I don't have to. He's not the only good player South has, but he IS the difference between a good team and a potentially great team.