Milan @ USJ - Thursday Night Football

Bulldog Fan #2

i really hope not makes it more interesting i mean im not saying i want em to beat milan ya know just that its nice to see a contest and not a beat down oh well m aybe they will continue to get better

USJ will IMO continue like they have been (getting better). They have what looks to be a pretty good quarterback coming up next year to replace Hardegree. His name is Jake Overby. He will be a sophomore next year.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know from the stands that pass looked incomplete. But please find a game film and watch it. The ball bounced but not off the field, it hit the recievers hands and bounced into his chest when he clamped on it. A supervisor for the officals was at the game. He asked a film crew next to him to replay it to verify. After the game, he confirmed that the call was correct.

Where was the camera at? The play happened on the Milan sideline and the player was diving towards the sideline. There was no press box on the visitor side and unless the film crew was set up on the Milan side line or in the ditch beside the stands, the camera wouldn't have had much of a view. The ball Friday Night Lights styled it into his arms. There were also about 10 holds that were missed by the back judge. Every time a USJ offensive lineman got beat he would grab on and bring down the D-lineman. I'm not saying that they did anything wrong. You are suppose to protect your QB at all cost not let him get laid out from behind but there should have been flags thrown. There were also a couple of questionable spots. Not trying to should like I’m whining. In the end the calls didn't matter much. You just said you were curious.

Where was the camera at? The play happened on the Milan sideline and the player was diving towards the sideline. There was no press box on the visitor side and unless the film crew was set up on the Milan side line or in the ditch beside the stands, the camera wouldn't have had much of a view. The ball Friday Night Lights styled it into his arms. There were also about 10 holds that were missed by the back judge. Every time a USJ offensive lineman got beat he would grab on and bring down the D-lineman. I'm not saying that they did anything wrong. You are suppose to protect your QB at all cost not let him get laid out from behind but there should have been flags thrown. There were also a couple of questionable spots. Not trying to should like I’m whining. In the end the calls didn't matter much. You just said you were curious.

BDD, thanks for your comments. The only way officials can get better is to know where they make mistakes. Before you say anything, yes, I was on the field last night. I also know I should NOT be saying anything about this but I was curious as where you thought my zebra crew was deficient.

Now, on the pass play in question, we will have to agree to disagree. I was covering that play. What I saw was the receiver stretch out back toward the center of the field. The ball came in low and the receiver got his hands under to ball to keep it from hitting the ground. That is what I saw and what I ruled. It was a bang-bang play and I very well could have got it wrong. My supervisor watching the game told me it was a good call. The camera angle he saw was from the USJ side. That's all I know.

Knowing that from the stands, sometimes you see things better than the ones on the field, I will pass your comments on to the rest of my crew. The one thing that we don't want to happen is for a bad call to effect the outcome of the game.

BDD, thanks for your comments. The only way officials can get better is to know where they make mistakes. Before you say anything, yes, I was on the field last night. I also know I should NOT be saying anything about this but I was curious as where you thought my zebra crew was deficient.

Now, on the pass play in question, we will have to agree to disagree. I was covering that play. What I saw was the receiver stretch out back toward the center of the field. The ball came in low and the receiver got his hands under to ball to keep it from hitting the ground. That is what I saw and what I ruled. It was a bang-bang play and I very well could have got it wrong. My supervisor watching the game told me it was a good call. The camera angle he saw was from the USJ side. That's all I know.

Knowing that from the stands, sometimes you see things better than the ones on the field, I will pass your comments on to the rest of my crew. The one thing that we don't want to happen is for a bad call to effect the outcome of the game.

While I was not at the game or have a dog in the hunt, I appreciate your honesty and attitude...

I also appreciate the honesty. I thought the ball bounced last night but I sure wasn't as close to the play as you were. I watched the tape a few minutes ago and couldn't see because a defender was in the line of sight. The ball was thrown flat and to the outside, so if it was caught, it was a outstanding catch. If you were the side judge on the Milan side I thought we got a raw spot on the 3rd and 4th down plays when we didn't convert. Anyway that is just my opinion and we all know about opinions......... Glad Milan got out with the win and now it is on to JCS.

I also appreciate the honesty and desire to improve. I was on the Milan side and sitting high enough up to have a good view on the pass play and the spots. I have not seen any film but in my opinion I thought the receiver got his hands under the ball and made an outstanding catch. The third down spot I thought was shorted a little but still not enough for a first down and the 4th down spot was right on. Again just my opinion but I thought there were several holding calls missed. It would take more than 1 hand to count the number of times a USJ linemen was bull rushed over and they grabbed a jersey and pulled them down with them.

sorry ref. while i appreciate the job you guys do and ya'll do get it right most of the time. you missed horribly on that pass play. i was just right across the track standing at the fence. the play happened right in front of me, the milan high principal, numerous law enforcement officials and several other fans. we were not 30 ft from the play at field level. there were no cameras. the ball hit the ground and jumped in his hands. he did do a good job of convincing you. everyone was in agreement that you missed that one even the unbiased law enforcment. although i was the only one who expressed my opinion of you and that call loud enough for you to hear. although it did not effect the outcome of the game. i would have rather seen milan win by 3 score than 2. all in all you called a good game. you just missed that one allowing usj to score when they shouldn't have. i slept good last night and i'm sure you did too so no harm done.

Personally I did not have a problem at all with the officiating. I had rather let the kids play as have a whistle every time the ball is snapped. There was one spot that was questionaable in my mind, but if you can't get 1 yard convincingly, you ought to give it up. I have been on all sides, player, coach and official. I could not have done any better, so with that I say good job guys.

I do have a question, does your crew ever sit down and watch your self on film to improve?

sorry ref. while i appreciate the job you guys do and ya'll do get it right most of the time. you missed horribly on that pass play. i was just right across the track standing at the fence. the play happened right in front of me, the milan high principal, numerous law enforcement officials and several other fans. we were not 30 ft from the play at field level. there were no cameras. the ball hit the ground and jumped in his hands. he did do a good job of convincing you. everyone was in agreement that you missed that one even the unbiased law enforcment. although i was the only one who expressed my opinion of you and that call loud enough for you to hear. although it did not effect the outcome of the game. i would have rather seen milan win by 3 score than 2. all in all you called a good game. you just missed that one allowing usj to score when they shouldn't have. i slept good last night and i'm sure you did too so no harm done.

The arrogance of the Milan posters on this board (surely not the majority of Milan's fans) is amusing.

Win by 2 tds and whine about officiating. Whine

Cheat and get caught and whine.

Get transfers (Recruit) great football talent from the area and whine about private schools

Play your starters when the game is well under control and one gets hurt(on a clean play). Whine

Whine, Whine, Whine

As for officiating, I thought they did a pretty good job. I once umpired baseball and there is no way you can get every call correct, it's not possible. You can only strive for perfection. But the one call that really hasn't been talked about was one that I was upset that wasn't called on the field. It was on the interception that Hardegree threw on about the thirty or fourty yard line opposite of the scoreboard. The Milan defender who intercepted the ball was running it back towards the endzone, when (a lineman that was the last line of defense for Usj) was blatently blocked in the back, when the play was coming towards him. If the milan defender wasn't tackled right before that lineman was blocked in the back, then Milan would have had another td. Also I commend USJ on their positive attitudes and their sportsmanlike play. There were zero penalties against usj for any type of unsportsmanlike conduct, that goes back to the leadership on the team.