Maryville's Schedule is WEAK!

WarriorFan

I am sorry, didn't mean to confuse. Why is it so important about Maryville's scheduling?

It's not. The only thing is that people on this thread are now seeing why they have a HUGE winning streak. There is a Maryville myth in this state that people think they are invincible. They are where they are because of their schedules. They won't get out of their shell and play competition, and I believe they would do well against any school in TN. I am just tired of hearing how great they are and not playing much better than .500 ball clubs. It is a fact their regular season is loaded with below average cupcakes. There is no dispute other than people who have blinders. They can schedule much better than they do.

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not. The only thing is that people on this thread are now seeing why they have a HUGE winning streak. There is a Maryville myth in this state that people think they are invincible. They are where they are because of their schedules. They won't get out of their shell and play competition, and I believe they would do well against any school in TN. I am just tired of hearing how great they are and not playing much better than .500 ball clubs. It is a fact their regular season is loaded with below average cupcakes. There is no dispute other than people who have blinders. They can schedule much better than they do.

I saw where one or two reb fans agreed with the schedule, but when you are already winning gold balls, then what else is there to prove? I agree it would be nice to see them play BA, MBA, OR, and such programs. But the bottom line is at the end of the last game of the season, as a football team, is to prepare to win the gold ball next year. So far, despite their schedule, they are getting it done.

I saw where one or two reb fans agreed with the schedule, but when you are already winning gold balls, then what else is there to prove? I agree it would be nice to see them play BA, MBA, OR, and such programs. But the bottom line is at the end of the last game of the season, as a football team, is to prepare to win the gold ball next year. So far, despite their schedule, they are getting it done.

well said

So basically you are saying the three out of region rivalry games mean nothing? There's not really a whole lot they can do about those 7 other games is there?

I lived in your area for a couple of years. You've tried to use the BA versus Williamson Co. schools argument, and I am not buying. You know as well as I do that none of them are your rivals, and both sides feel the same. Everybody wants to be the first team to beat BA, but that is about as far as it goes. Brentwood/Franklin/Ravenwood match-ups have become quite intense the past three years, but Page cares more about the teams in 5-3A to the south and Fairview might as well not even be considered for Williamson Co. football for this discussion. Your rival is over on West End.

That said, the previous four seasons, the BA/MBA game has not counted towards the D2-AAA standings and has been merely played as a rivalry game. What would happen if MBA continued to have years last last year when they went 4-6? Would BA continue to play them, or drop them to pick up better opponents? You know the answer to that question, and it is the same reason Maryville has continued to play the three Blount Co. teams.

(Side note - TSSAA website still has Carlton Flatt listed as head coach at BA. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> )

How come Maryville chooses to stay in state? Before the start of this year they had a 40+ game winning streak thats good and all but how many of those wins were against out of state powerhouses. IF they were truely of this greatness then go play the previous Georgia or S.C. state champs but sure looks like william blount was almost enough to put that win streak back to 0

They like their streak.....no out of state OR in-state powerhouses other than Alcoa... and sometimes Hillsboro and Melrose....but they have to play the other two because it is the state championship. Until we went to 8 classifications, Maryville had a HUGE dry spell......they went from 1978 to 1997 before they even played again in a state championship. Watering down the competition helped Maryville attain what you see today. Again, they are a great team, but facts are facts. DII reorganized and went from 3 back to 2 divisions THIS year. 4A was good to Maryville....5 state champions in DI was what they needed to do what they have done. They are better than what they have shown. My bet is, they can take it to other states to play good competition, but they aren't used to it. They won't travel to middle TN except for playoffs. Maryville fans, as proud of your program as your are, and as football hungry as you are, you should want a challenge for a change.

Now....back to the topic......

Why not take it to the next level......see how good you can get. That is true in FB as well as life. You don't get complacent with the 4A Gold Ball.

I am growing very tired of this thread. I think one Maryville fan summed it up best when he said that he realizes they don't play a tough regular season schedule, but he's ok with that b/c they continue to get gold balls. Ultimately that's probably how most Maryville fans feel. Just let them be. I think we have beat this topic to death. Is Maryville's regular season schedule relatively weak? Yes. Do they attempt to go out and try to play the best teams in the state? No. But so what? They play who they have to play and take care of business in the playoffs.

Personally, I like the idea of going out and trying to find a new challenge every year--mix it up, play different teams, out of state games, etc. If you have a great team, why not go out and play against great competition? But not everyone is like that. When BA had Brandon Wright (basketball) they did not just stay local and pound on the Father Ryan's, MBA's, etc. They went out and played in some of the top tournaments in the country and played against some of the top teams in TN. I like that. I think the fans enjoy it and the players do as well.

I would love to see Maryville and BA play in football next year. I see no negative that could come of the experience. Both programs respect the heck out of eachother and it would be awesome for everyone involved and TN high school football. BA will likely win it's 2nd consecutive state championship this year (just my opinion) and Maryville will likely win its 4th in a row (hope that's right). It would make for a heck of a game.

So basically you are saying the three out of region rivalry games mean nothing? There's not really a whole lot they can do about those 7 other games is there?

I lived in your area for a couple of years. You've tried to use the BA versus Williamson Co. schools argument, and I am not buying. You know as well as I do that none of them are your rivals, and both sides feel the same. Everybody wants to be the first team to beat BA, but that is about as far as it goes. Brentwood/Franklin/Ravenwood match-ups have become quite intense the past three years, but Page cares more about the teams in 5-3A to the south and Fairview might as well not even be considered for Williamson Co. football for this discussion. Your rival is over on West End.

That said, the previous four seasons, the BA/MBA game has not counted towards the D2-AAA standings and has been merely played as a rivalry game. What would happen if MBA continued to have years last last year when they went 4-6? Would BA continue to play them, or drop them to pick up better opponents? You know the answer to that question, and it is the same reason Maryville has continued to play the three Blount Co. teams.

(Side note - TSSAA website still has Carlton Flatt listed as head coach at BA. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> )

Time for an update, TSSAA.......Solomon, the above highlighted is what I have been saying all along......none of these schools are rivals....check my posts....you are repeating what I said. As far as MBA.....why hasn't the MBA/BA game counted towards DIIAAA standings? they are in our division. Please enlighten me on this one. As far as MBA goes.....above ALL teams in DII...they have my upmost respect, even above my love for BA. They have gone anywhere people will play them in recent years. You have a game....they will go. They won't go out of state for a CUPCAKE. You had better be good. MBA is good year end and year out. One bad year for MBA can be a 10 win season the next. Check the stats....

I am growing very tired of this thread. I think one Maryville fan summed it up best when he said that he realizes they don't play a tough regular season schedule, but he's ok with that b/c they continue to get gold balls. Ultimately that's probably how most Maryville fans feel. Just let them be. I think we have beat this topic to death. Is Maryville's regular season schedule relatively weak? Yes. Do they attempt to go out and try to play the best teams in the state? No. But so what? They play who they have to play and take care of business in the playoffs.

Personally, I like the idea of going out and trying to find a new challenge every year--mix it up, play different teams, out of state games, etc. If you have a great team, why not go out and play against great competition? But not everyone is like that. When BA had Brandon Wright (basketball) they did not just stay local and pound on the Father Ryan's, MBA's, etc. They went out and played in some of the top tournaments in the country and played against some of the top teams in TN. I like that. I think the fans enjoy it and the players do as well.

I would love to see Maryville and BA play in football next year. I see no negative that could come of the experience. Both programs respect the heck out of each other and it would be awesome for everyone involved and TN high school football. BA will likely win it's 2nd consecutive state championship this year (just my opinion) and Maryville will likely win its 4th in a row (hope that's right). It would make for a heck of a game.

mfalc04....I ditto your thoughts.....these guys won't change their thoughts, and neither will the people that have posted like you and myself, so it is a dead subject. we enjoy seeing how far a program can go, and evidently, some fans want to see their team beat up cupcakes and claim to be a TN and national power. I believe BOTH teams will take a Gold Ball home as well......unless you guys want to continue....I am through....this thread is only 34 hours old, and seems like it has gone forever..3200 hits at this time....so it is an interesting topic for CoachT readers.... /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

Time for an update, TSSAA.......Solomon, the above highlighted is what I have been saying all along......none of these schools are rivals....check my posts....you are repeating what I said. As far as MBA.....why hasn't the MBA/BA game counted towards DIIAAA standings? they are in our division. Please enlighten me on this one. As far as MBA goes.....above ALL teams in DII...they have my upmost respect, even above my love for BA. They have gone anywhere people will play them in recent years. You have a game....they will go. They won't go out of state for a CUPCAKE. You had better be good. MBA is good year end and year out. One bad year for MBA can be a 10 win season the next. Check the stats....

Please look at the notes as to who defeated who in division play on the side for 2005 and 2006. Please look at the notes at the bottom of 2003 and 2004 that show that the BA/MBA game did not count towards standings.

Quit dodging the question. For some reason, if MBA went south for an extended period of time, would BA quit playing them if the above was true? (FYI - for 07 the game does count towards D2-AA standings.) You know as well as I do the two teams would keep playing because of the rivalry.

Please look at the notes as to who defeated who in division play on the side for 2005 and 2006. Please look at the notes at the bottom of 2003 and 2004 that show that the BA/MBA game did not count towards standings.

Quit dodging the question. For some reason, if MBA went south for an extended period of time, would BA quit playing them if the above was true? (FYI - for 07 the game does count towards D2-AA standings.) You know as well as I do the two teams would keep playing because of the rivalry.

Solomon, your links do not pull up. Nobody is dodging anything. I cannot see what is there, nor can anyone else on this thread. Why would they not count? That does not make sense. Both schools are original members of DII, and have played in either large school division or AAA. Can someone please explain why a game would not count if this is the case.......

As far as a rivalry goes.....it IS a rivalry with MBA leading 16-10 since DII began. No other team has a lead on BA like MBA. Scratch records......it is a battle most every year......

What does this have to do with the topic?