Fri Sep. 14 Heritage W 42-6

Fri Sep. 21 Powell R W 34-7

Fri Sep. 28 at William Blount W 20-19

Fri Oct. 5 at Knox Central R

Thu Oct. 11 West R

Fri Oct. 19 at South Doyle R

Fri Oct. 26 Knoxville Halls R

Fri Nov. 2 Lenoir City R

Ok Rebels.........let's talk........first of all, I like Maryville......went to the 2 Maryville vs BA state championships in the 70's as a kid that Maryville won...I have been to Maryville Alcoa games..(not sure if you call them games most of the time...more like Alcoa taken to the woodshed since 1928...very lopsided series)..Maryville is a really good ball club, there is not much one can do about who is in their region......but here are my findings......

The first half of your seasons teams have a combined record of 13-13.

The second half of your seasons teams have a combined record of 10-15.

There are two 0-5 ball clubs on your schedule, and 3 of your seasons teams have 2-3 records at this moment. Do you guys question your schedule strength regarding really how good you are to have the ridiculous record you have? With the exception of some of the playoff teams, you really have no competition.

In 2006, the regular season teams you played had combined records of 46-55. 6 of the 10 teams you played in the regular season won 5 games or less (.500 or below records).

As Maryville fans, you guys have to be the most bored fans around playing the schedule you play. The schedule is reminiscent of a Nebraska or Florida St schedule in years past when they competed for national championships and scheduled any team they could blow out to keep a top 5 ranking during the season, and impress the AP Poll. In looking at the games you have played since coacht has kept records (2001), most every game is a blowout. But then again, on most every given year, with the exception of maybe Alcoa and this year WB, every team is a cupcake. You do not schedule anyone outside of your region that is evenly matched with you. Every team on your regular season is from east TN. Do you think you would be as successful with a W/L record if you played even one game outside of Alcoa that was even a threat?

I consider you the best team in the state by far in DI. I don't think you can be considered the best in the state overall with the record you have against cupcakes. You would definitely not have the streak you have now if you played in DII. I am sure that the national polls are not aware of the weak schedule you play, they just look at the blow outs. The schedule may make you look better than you really are.

Bringing home the 4A gold ball most every year in recent memory is great, but don't you want to know just how good you really are? You are good enough to win the gold ball in your division, which is every teams goal (or should be)....but you may not be as good as you think. Try some competition......please show me where I am wrong.....

OK.....I'm ready for my beating from the Rebel faithful....... /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They play their region teams, nothing we can or anybody can do about that other than the TSSAA themselves by reclassifying them...like they should. Maybe the TSSAA should take a page out of the DI-AA book in college where a team that dominates for a consistant number of years, e.g. Marshall, moves up for competitions sake. Anyway, out of the out of conference games of Alcoa, Heritage, and William Blount, my personal opinion is they should only play William Blount. Heritage is never a contest and Alcoa is two classifications below Maryville, albeit they are a dominate force in 2A. Who do they add to their schedule then? Heck, for all intent and purposes why not add Hillsboro to the regular season schedule, they like to be challenged...even were willing to finish a game that ended in a tie. Add Oak Ridge, they've got a winning tradition. Add an out of state team that would grab the AP pollsters attention, not necessarily Hoover, AL but somebody worth mentioning. Am I wrong or Brandon100?

They play their region teams, nothing we can or anybody can do about that other than the TSSAA themselves by reclassifying them...like they should. Maybe the TSSAA should take a page out of the DI-AA book in college where a team that dominates for a consistant number of years, e.g. Marshall, moves up for competitions sake. Anyway, out of the out of conference games of Alcoa, Heritage, and William Blount, my personal opinion is they should only play William Blount. Heritage is never a contest and Alcoa is two classifications below Maryville, albeit they are a dominate force in 2A. Who do they add to their schedule then? Heck, for all intent and purposes why not add Hillsboro to the regular season schedule, they like to be challenged...even were willing to finish a game that ended in a tie. Add Oak Ridge, they've got a winning tradition. Add an out of state team that would grab the AP pollsters attention, not necessarily Hoover, AL but somebody worth mentioning. Am I wrong or Brandon100?

Hoover, AL wouldn't be a bad team to play. With the reputation of both, I think it would be nice to see them play. How about BA or a good DII team? Definitely Hillsboro, Dobbyns Bennett, Oak Ridge, Riverdale, Smyrna would be a great addition for DI. Maybe a good GA team. Maryville is close to several bordering states. I am sure there are plenty of teams that are traditionally good that would welcome Maryville to their schedule. As REBELRON appears to like to follow teams from out of state playing each other (I know he is a huge Maryville fan) from his past posts, I am sure there are other Maryville fans that believe they would do well against some competition. Maryville fans, would this be something you would like to see rather than playing CUPCAKE High when you play out of region? Your region in general is CUPCAKE High. I can assure you, it is alot of fun seeing your favorite team play against teams that you may not be able to beat. It makes the game more interesting.

Although, if I remember correctly Knox Powell, Knox West, Knox Halls, and Clinton have beaten 5A teams themselves, albeit it somewhat bad ones this year, but I suppose that could add weight to Maryville's side of the argument.

Just play someone you have questions whether you match up, Maryville.... /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

I actually think you already self imploded. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

I agree, noonesfool. Original poster is crazy. Gotta play the conference games and Alcoa is a top notch team who could beat most 4a and 5a teams. William Blount is a power as well. A team with one of the best coaching staffs in the state and more gold balls than my poor education allows me to count, needs not your input. Until they lose a game, they are the top team in the state, one of the top in the Southeast US and the country.

You gotta be bored to start this thread. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Hoover, AL wouldn't be a bad team to play. With the reputation of both, I think it would be nice to see them play. How about BA or a good DII team? Definitely Hillsboro, Dobbyns Bennett, Oak Ridge, Riverdale, Smyrna would be a great addition for DI. Maybe a good GA team. Maryville is close to several bordering states. I am sure there are plenty of teams that are traditionally good that would welcome Maryville to their schedule.

Maryville's opponents thus far (Alcoa, Clinton, Heritage, Powell, William Blount) have a combined record of 13-12.

Brentwood Academy's opponents thus far (Westside, Baylor, Independence, Ravenwood, McCallie, and Smyrna) have a combined record of 16-17.

On average I see Dobyns-Bennett play about once or twice a year. There's no doubt that DB and Oak Ridge would be competitive, but Maryville would beat them more often than not. Maryville also has handled Hillsboro on more than one occassion lately. In my opinion, Riverdale was better than Maryville in 2004, but wasn't the past two years.

After someone was talking about how Westside was going to embarrass Brentwood, I was glad to hear that Brentwood beat them 21-0. Someone said MBA wasn't Tennessee's best, in reference to their game with Byrnes. I would say the same about Westside. I'm sure they're a good team, but 4 out of their 5 victories came against opponents who currently have a .500 record or worse. One is 0-6. Two of their victories came against teams in a lower classification. Westside is still ranked high in South Carolina, but unless they were going easy on some of those teams, they have more opponents to worry about than just Byrnes.

Maryville's three non-conference games are against rivals. Those games generate a lot of revenue. From a financial and competitive perspective why would they want to travel 200-300 miles to play a team? Most public schools can't afford to do the things that the privates can. With the exception of the privates, how many public schools consistently go to play teams that are several hundred miles away? Maryville has managed to win state several times regardless of who they've played in the regular season.

When Maryville moves to 5A in 2009, that will give them at least one open slot to play someone different since Alcoa will most likely take the other one.

Also if we start talking about how Maryville should be in 5A I think it would be appropriate to talk about other teams that currently have enrollment numbers above their classification limit but didn't exceed the limit in 2004.

I really enjoyed the Billy B./Mville game. Lail will play on Saturdays. A series that would be good to establish IMO, would be Knox Catholic/Mville. Good for both teams, nice gate. Perhaps for 09. Also, I think both should try and get to Cinci for the Ohio vs. the USA series. I have seen it twice now, and both could compete. As I have written before, Catholic is about where Mville was about 5-6 yrs ago in terms of program development (facilities, feeder program, etc). Although if Mville stays in 4A, and TSSAA, does not place all privates together, they could wind up in the same region for the 2010 season anyway. On a seperate note, Douglas' pitch on the hook and ladder, given the situation, angle, and catch, was perhaps one of the most impressive displays of athletsism I have seen in a long, long time.

ruse?