Dobyns Bennett out of conference games in the future.

If DB wants to get more scholarships for the boys, they need to see how they stack up outside the area. Typically DB faired OK in 7 on 7 (not this year) at Byrnes. The MBA trip several years ago was very motivating for that team. They knew they were in for a battle and new the compettiton was at a different level. They dont have to go out of state every year, but a change of competition would serve the team well. A dose of humility can inspire a group to work harder during the off season. IMO, going 10-0, 9-1, every season has led to complaisance in the off season for DB. It will be interesting to see 2 things this next year 1). Will spring practice be in Jan.? 2). Will summer work outs be at 6:30 AM? I dont think either worked well for DB.

MBA got a 62-14 dose of humility against Byrnes in 2005. They were ranked no.2 in the nation last year and the only team in SC to beat them since the start of the 2002 season,ended their quest for a fifth straight SC State title.Let's just play Maryville and be done with it. We would match up a lot better with them.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To bad we don't live near the Nashville Beltway where 5A Regions 3 (part), 4, 5, and 6 are all resonably close to each other. We and SH live alienated in the east to a degree.

That may change when the TSSAA re-classifies. Both Washington County schools and MO West are on the bubble. If they ran the numbers now, Crockett and West would be 5-A with Boone not far behind.

That may change when the TSSAA re-classifies. Both Washington County schools and MO West are on the bubble. If they ran the numbers now, Crockett and West would be 5-A with Boone not far behind.

It would not help with out of conference scheduling however, as David Crockett (woefully) and Morristown West (greatfully) would most likely be put into Region 1-5A, thus becoming conference games as Campbell County would be dropped out of the region and the other added school fills the Big East out into a 8 team region.

Really, if DB had been able to keep South on the schedule this year, maybe as the homecoming game (with the rivalry coupled with homecoming, not to mention South playing the REAL DB, it would have been a HUGE gate), the overall schedule would have been competitive. TH at 4-1, SS at 4-1, OR at 5-0, and WB at 4-1, statistically it looks good, if not fantastic. The Elizabethton game didn't really seem to do anything for anybody except Sensabaugh and the rest of the '100'. With high school scheduling though, its speculative year to year what the strengths of teams are. Just some thoughts.

There is no indication from THS that they won??™t renew. This is a good game for our program from our standpoint.

Good to hear, I really think they should play up the Tri-Cities rivalry. Could give the TH/DB, TH/SH, and SH/DB games each a name like the "insert name here" Bowl, like they do in college where a item like a trophy, jug, ax, etc. is passed back in forth between the schools. At the end of the year if someone has a 2-0 record in the series they get a special trophy with something like Hawkins, Sullivan, and Washinton counties on it with lines connecting the cities in the shape of a triangle. Just an idea. We could definatley use some marketing help haha. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

I don't know if we would want to play Byrnes, especially on national TV.They are superman fast and I doubt if that would be a good move for Dobyns-Bennett.

DB would do fine. Teams play up to the competition.

How would it work if DB signed home & home contract with a couple of these out of state schools and then couldn't play due to new, larger region schedule in '09? If they do schedule one of those teams I'd want the 1st one ('08) at home.

Maybe better to improve while playing the local teams and see what '09 brings.

DB would do fine. Teams play up to the competition.

How would it work if DB signed home & home contract with a couple of these out of state schools and then couldn't play due to new, larger region schedule in '09? If they do schedule one of those teams I'd want the 1st one ('08) at home.

Maybe better to improve while playing the local teams and see what '09 brings.

I refer to post # 13,MBA has been one of the best teams in this state for years.They have finished in the national top 25 at least three times since '99.Playing a good out of state team is fine,but playing a highschool--college team is another story.

I'd like to see them play Richlands, VA and Bluefield, WV.

Not a bad ideal at all.Bell Co. KY play volunteer last week.Just across the mountain. they are good.We are already driving to Campbell Co,and that seems forever to get there.Alot of good teams around here in Va.Bordered by alot of states.Go for it!

MBA got a 62-14 dose of humility against Byrnes in 2005. They were ranked no.2 in the nation last year and the only team in SC to beat them since the start of the 2002 season,ended their quest for a fifth straight SC State title.Let's just play Maryville and be done with it. We would match up a lot better with them.

I watched Byrnes play the FLA HS team on ESPN(?) last year. Both teams had several players going D-1. Of course that was why they were on TV. ESPN did a great job of promoting the small town Byrnes is in (Duncan). They showed all around the stadium including their jumbotron (bought with donations) and they were building a multimillion $ field house. Not bad for a community that appeared to be the size of Blountville. I agree, Byrnes may be too much, but if DB doesnt want to play up lets just stick to playing the schedule we have. DB might get a taste of how these small schools feel when they come to J Fred. I agree Maryville would be good too, but I think they like the scrimmage to much as a measuring stick. IF DB truely wants to walk the walk and just not talk it based on the past 100 years, play the big boys. In state or out.

I refer to post # 13,MBA has been one of the best teams in this state for years.They have finished in the national top 25 at least three times since '99.Playing a good out of state team is fine,but playing a highschool--college team is another story.

we did have a great home-home with DB. Lots of fun for both sides. Great fans, great competition. I think both sides wanted to play it again but it was a lot of travel for a regular season game....Kingsport is at least 5 hours from Nashville, with a time change. I'm sure aligning schedules on this one would be tough, as MBA could realistically only play it at DB when they weren't playing at the Chattanooga teams (Baylor McCallie).

But, as a fan I'd love to see this series again.