Jet Football

JetFan21

I do not think the elementary schools are the problem. Look at Cobb Co. Georgia, 6th, 7th and 8th middle schools and NO! sports of any kind and some of the High Schools have great programs. The biggest problem here is the split of the schools. Go back to the 2005 season, the last year before the split. The Jets went 2-8, but look at the scores, Bearden loss by 1, Lenoir City loss by ll and we should have won it, Lincoln loss by 5, Coffee we won. In 05 the Jets played alot of sophmores, several started. I think had we not had the split the last 2 years would have been pretty good, but now we have to start over. Both schools are in the wrong regions. Another thing at SMHS is we just do not have any big boys. Every school we have played, with the exception of CCHS and Bledsoe, all have lines who are a head taller and 30-50 pounds heavier. Maybe the elementary schools need to order the "special chicken" for the boys only!At SMHS we have 1000 kids enrolled and we have 48-50 boys playing football. This is freshman, jv and varsity. I think we should have at least 80! The big question is why are the kids not playing??

PARENT INVOLVEMENT, and some parents don,t want there kids coached or "yelled at". I say I haven't seen a good coach that don't yell.

I personally believe a middle school would help alot, but it wont ever happen, our county is too split to ever agree on the issue and this is more evident than ever with the School board threatening to sue the commission over funding the schools. I've been told coaches arent getting their extra compensation this year because of the budget colamity. Earlier it was mentioned that the coaches arent getting help from paid assistants and they have to use volunteer assistants, sadly enough part of the volunteer assistants are better than the school assistants!! I dont care if youre employed by the school system or not if you know what youre doing, but just because youre a male employed by cumberland county doesnt automatically mean football knowledge is bestowed upon you!! Coach Gora is one of our best assistants and he is a volunteer. Reaching back Coach Fitzgerald (not Eric's Dad) was a great assistant too and he was a volunteer. But we cant hire teachers that can coach is ridiculous. Look at what they did to coach Mac instead of putting him in the normal school system they put him in the alternative school even though he's fully certified to teach high school social studies. No wonder the coaches are leaving. This is job suicide to coach here and unfortunately until we get things straightened up at the top we'll continue to be lack luster.just my .02

Do yall not have a JR. High team?

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PARENT INVOLVEMENT, and some parents don,t want there kids coached or "yelled at". I say I haven't seen a good coach that don't yell.Do yall not have a JR. High team?

No, we have 8 elementary schools. Kids in 6th, 7th and 8th can play football. Now 4 schools feed CCHS and 4 schools feed SMHS. In the elementary program it's all in county play, no travel.

I personally believe a middle school would help alot, but it wont ever happen, our county is too split to ever agree on the issue and this is more evident than ever with the School board threatening to sue the commission over funding the schools. I've been told coaches arent getting their extra compensation this year because of the budget colamity. Earlier it was mentioned that the coaches arent getting help from paid assistants and they have to use volunteer assistants, sadly enough part of the volunteer assistants are better than the school assistants!! I dont care if youre employed by the school system or not if you know what youre doing, but just because youre a male employed by cumberland county doesnt automatically mean football knowledge is bestowed upon you!! Coach Gora is one of our best assistants and he is a volunteer. Reaching back Coach Fitzgerald (not Eric's Dad) was a great assistant too and he was a volunteer. But we cant hire teachers that can coach is ridiculous. Look at what they did to coach Mac instead of putting him in the normal school system they put him in the alternative school even though he's fully certified to teach high school social studies. No wonder the coaches are leaving. This is job suicide to coach here and unfortunately until we get things straightened up at the top we'll continue to be lack luster.

just my .02

Multiple elementary programs is a huge advantage IF they all answer to the varsity head coach. This post sums up why few coaches of any caliber will seriously apply. You pay in the 60-70+ range for a head coach AND pay your assistants well AND give them control over the elementary programs then interest will perk up. These type of changes will start with your administration and community. You do not have a hopeless situation if you can make some changes. Now it does not sound like the powers that be in your community will do these things. Might be time for a change in those powers. So if you are civically minded and are willing to make a stand in public you should run.

Multiple elementary programs is a huge advantage IF they all answer to the varsity head coach. This post sums up why few coaches of any caliber will seriously apply. You pay in the 60-70+ range for a head coach AND pay your assistants well AND give them control over the elementary programs then interest will perk up. These type of changes will start with your administration and community. You do not have a hopeless situation if you can make some changes. Now it does not sound like the powers that be in your community will do these things. Might be time for a change in those powers. So if you are civically minded and are willing to make a stand in public you should run.

DITTO!! Get out and vote!! This county needs a shake-up, from the commissioner's to the school board. When county commissioner's can not fund EDUCATION then we might as well just close the public schools.

Wow, sounds like they have tons of problems. Seems to me though that if you have that many elem. schools, you should be getting a large turnout for the high school team. I think any program can be turned around, but only if the administration will allow it and support it. Some places don't care about athletics

I guess each elementary school has about 10-12 8th graders, so times 4, we should have about 40 freshman per school. At SMHS this year we had about 22 show up and about 18 left, not sure about CCHS.

No, we have 8 elementary schools. Kids in 6th, 7th and 8th can play football. Now 4 schools feed CCHS and 4 schools feed SMHS. In the elementary program it's all in county play, no travel.

Thats crazy!!! they can't learn if they don't play other JR. high teams{this is usually 7th & 8th grades} how about 3, 4 & 5th do they get to play?

nope they dont get to play, and unfortunately most of the elementary schools run their own offenses and defenses contrary to the high school they feed into. Also was informed recently that Coach Shultz will be back next year. Give him a chance ladies and gents, he has done some very good things for this team especially in the weight room, notice the low level of injuries we've had recently compared to the past and the team is alot stronger than they've ever been. They have only 4 varsity assistants and Mac is leaving so they really need to hire or get another quality volunteer coach such as coach Harlan Walker from P.Hill. He is very knowledgeable about the game of football and gets the little things across to his players better than anyone I know.

thats well and good but if your school wont hire coaches for a specific sport which coach shultz has had problems with as for assistants you tend to have to look elsewhere. cchs hasnt had many problems with grades or getting in trouble that i've heard of, but if youre reffering to getting kids to play, I cant argue with you there, it was nice to see one of your coaches on every hall

I just saw this thread and had to reply. It wouldn't matter what level you guys were playing at. you lost to york and stone lost to bledsoe in the same night. your game with york wasn't even close and you want to make excuses. it seems to me that there are no tough guys in cumberland county including your coach. someone said you had a good offensive coach; are you kidding you guys hardly ever score and even one of your own said he changes offenses alot. that says he doesn't know what he is talking about. if you want to win it is simple just as it is in bledsoe county. hire good people and let them surround themselves with good people. keep the parents out of the way with they exception of being fans and supporters and make the kids work. don't give me the crazy excuse that they won't work because the right coach who has proven he can build can win anywhere. it is done in college and i know it can be done in high school as well. i have to admit that when i played crossville was always tough and physical and it was alot of fun to play

Thats crazy!!! they can't learn if they don't play other JR. high teams{this is usually 7th & 8th grades} how about 3, 4 & 5th do they get to play?

Cumberland Co. Elementary schools are grades K-8, so yes Jr. High teams play one another. Quite a long in-county schedule. Some schools do play out of county, those who can compete or want to get better. I know what some are going to say, when do you play out of county? Our county games are on Thursdays, and some rivalries are pretty intense. But there are a few weeks when some of the higher caliber teams could step out on a Tues or Sat and play an out of county team. Just many coaches aren't willing to.