Father Ryan VS Ensworth

fiftyfifty

HALFTIME

21 Father Ryan

14 Ensworth

Besides the penalties, this is probably the best game I have watched all year. Ensworth is VERY good, controlling the 1st quarter and the beginning of the 2nd quarter. Father Ryan was down 14 points, then anser 21 unanswered points. This is definitely a game in the making right here. Both teams are fantastic.

The penalties are stupid. Both teams are getting bull sugar calls, its getting annoying.

Good to see Ryan Berry back, he has revived this FR team in the 2nd quarter. But I think the player of the game right now is Colby Osbourse of Father Ryan. 2 interceptions already, 1 for a touchdown! He could have scored 2 but turned around and was brougth down on his first pic.

Ensworth is a great team, definitely one of D2's finest!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you serious? Ensworth Defense is not good at all.... what are you talking about. Ensworth Defense held MBA to only 14 points, and they only scored on 2 long TD runs on missed tackles.

Even without jefferson Ensworth steel has 2 great backs to run the ball. Orleans and a freshman Rodney Anderson who has not seen much offensive playing time behind orleanes and Tvarrase

Don't get too carried away there Homeless...in addition to not having Bailey and its starting center, MBA played without its starting QB and starting TB for the last three quarters...McGugin dialed back the offense and smashed mouthed Ensworth into submission. It could easily have been 21-0, if not 28-0, but McGugin didn't see fit to score in the 4th with the game well in hand.

FINAL

Father Ryan 31

Ensworth 14

To the Ensworth Fans: Great game. Yal have an outstanding team that will be great in the future. You will turn heads.

To the Ryan Fans: This was expected, but darn, yal knocked 'em around!

To the MBA Fans: Leave. Now. And dont ever come back.

The game in summary:

1st Quater was dominated by Ensworth, scoring 1 touchdown and holding Ryan's offense to 0 first downs.

2nd Quarter, everything changes. Ensworth scores early, but Ryan answer back with Ryan Berry and a tremendous defensive effort by the Irish and Colby Osbourne in particular. Ryan scored 21 unanswered points in the remainder of the first half after Ensworth's 2nd td.

2nd Half: Best described as Irish domination. All I can say is, Ensworth's strength is DEFINITELY not passing, and without Jefferson (it seems) they really cant do much PERIOD. Ryan scored a touchdown off an interception, and Ryan Berry had 2 run ins coming off turnovers.

The score is NOT closer than what the game shows. The Irish dominated the game, Ensworth had a chance.. but then realized that LOL NOPE, NO CHANCE FOR YOU LOLZ.

I laugh and laugh at all the 15 year olds who picked Ensworth to score BIG and Ryan to score LITTLE. Obviously yal dont know sugar about football. Especially about Father Ryan.

I spoke to some Ryan players abuot their chances in the playoffs. What they told me kinda made me question them, but now I question if this is Ryan's year. Yes, yes it is.

/motorbike.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":motorbike:" border="0" alt="motorbike.gif" />

Sorry,

I was off by a couple of points.

Ole Dad

OK,

I'll get in, now that the players are on the way to the game and this won't hurt the Ensworth player's feelings. Ryan will dominate on defense, although there is still a possibility of a big play or two for Ensworth in the end it won't be a factor. Ryan holds them to less than 15 points and will score 28+. So, the facts are Ryan by about 13.

Ole Dad

Don't get too carried away there Homeless...in addition to not having Bailey and its starting center, MBA played without its starting QB and starting TB for the last three quarters...McGugin dialed back the offense and smashed mouthed Ensworth into submission. It could easily have been 21-0, if not 28-0, but McGugin didn't see fit to score in the 4th with the game well in hand.

Could have, should have, would have, bottom line did not!

I actually thought this was a pretty even game; the score is only indicative of the play in the sense that it shows what happens when you have five turnovers in a 48 minute game (I've always advocated that in a college or pro game, upon a team's 6th turnover, the game should be halted and TKO awarded, but that's just me). Take away the interception return that led to a touchdown, and interception return that was a TD, and you have a game separated by a field goal.

Having said that, Ryan was clearly the better team, and Ensworth would have needed a near perfect game (and a bit of luck) to win. Obviously that didn't happen.

Ensworth's defensive line acquitted themselves well. According to the Tennessean, Ryan had 140 yards rushing, with Berry contributing 83 of it. I would like to see how it broke down by quarters; it seemed to me that the 2nd quarter was the only quarter the Ryan O-line dominated the Ensworth D-line. Ensworth made some corrections at the half, and did a better job after that, although the offense left them on the field a lot with interceptions and the lack of effective (or even mildly threatening passing), which bottled up their badly limited running game. Likewise, Berry was at less than full strength, and probably a little hampered by fitness issues. He deserves a lot of credit for playing 3-4 weeks post-op; it certainly couldn't have felt very good.

There is one long term implication here for Ensworth. With a plan (as I understand it) to keep enrollment at about 120/class, this means that they have a maximum of about 240-250 boys from which to build a football team, and that's including freshmen, most of whom are not going to be very effective in varsity football. This means that depth is likely to be a constant issue, and because they will lack depth, durability will also be an issue. The success of the team and the quality of its coaching staff will draw some players, but it will be a long time before they have the the alumni trail that MBA and Ryan do. Consider that Lipscomb, Bartholomew, and Stumb just to name three off the bat have alumini connections at MBA; if Ryan had put names on the back of their jerseys in the '70's, they could probably still use most of them. That helps. One injury really crippled Ensworth in a key game; MBA lost Wise, Waddy, Lipscomb and Bailey for all or part of the Ensworth game, and managed fairly well. This is not a knock on Ensworth, by any stretch of the imagination. I like the smaller schools, and much preferred the size of MBA when I was there (75-80 in a class) to the present size (100-115 in a class). Clearly academics are the purpose of the school, and I like Ensworth's approach. But it's hard to argue that the 25% increase in size at MBA has not helped the football team a lot.

Take away the penalties and the disparity between the two teams, 10 penalties for Ryan vs 4 penalties for Ensworth per the Tennessean, especially when they were called; take away the touchdowns that were called back for Ryan and this game is not within the 3 points mentioned earlier. However, take away the shape of the moon and Tim McGraw standing on the Ryan sidelines with the "Chain Gang" instead of the Ensworth side and Ensworth wins by 4.

The Ensworth quarterback looked like he was just chucking some of those passes. It was hard to tell watching on the internet. Ensworth played well, just have to find a quarterback who can pass down the field and a tight end who can catch. The running back for Ensworth was very good. Ryan outplayed them after the 1st quarter.

However you look at it, should be a great atmosphere at Greer next week with both teams being undefeated. Both teams are at the top of the heap and should make for a great game, however, I don't know if Ryan has anybody who can stop Ben Bartholomew. He is a MAN!

P.S. Best coach to watch on the sidelines is David Pack. David, former football great at MBA and Sewanee, who had a try-out with the Dallas Cowboys is worth the price of admission to watch. He has such a passion for the game. It is great to watch.

What game did you watch? FRHS had 10 penalities to Ensworth's 4. A little home cooking, but it didn't help.

Ole Dad

Penalties and interceptions doomed EHS. Ensworth has to play almost flawless ball to beat teams like MBA/FRHS/BA. Obviously that did not happen last night. FRHS has a good team, their O&D lines are huge, should be a game next week againist MBA.

Take away the penalties and the disparity between the two teams, 10 penalties for Ryan vs 4 penalties for Ensworth per the Tennessean, especially when they were called; take away the touchdowns that were called back for Ryan and this game is not within the 3 points mentioned earlier. However, take away the shape of the moon and Tim McGraw standing on the Ryan sidelines with the "Chain Gang" instead of the Ensworth side and Ensworth wins by 4.

The Ensworth quarterback looked like he was just chucking some of those passes. It was hard to tell watching on the internet. Ensworth played well, just have to find a quarterback who can pass down the field and a tight end who can catch. The running back for Ensworth was very good. Ryan outplayed them after the 1st quarter.

However you look at it, should be a great atmosphere at Greer next week with both teams being undefeated. Both teams are at the top of the heap and should make for a great game, however, I don't know if Ryan has anybody who can stop Ben Bartholomew. He is a MAN!

P.S. Best coach to watch on the sidelines is David Pack. David, former football great at MBA and Sewanee, who had a try-out with the Dallas Cowboys is worth the price of admission to watch. He has such a passion for the game. It is great to watch.

Great to watch?? Are you serious...Pack is the biggest crybaby whiner this side of Ricky Bowers... he should have been thrown out for the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty he received in the first half....on the 10 yard line screaming at the side judge...give me a break