Oakland vs. Lebanon

magoo043

I didn't get to go to the game tonight but heard the end on the radio. 2 questions:

1. Why did Oakland go for two after their TD with around 8:00 left to go up 27-23. Why not just kick the PAT and go up 28-23. 29-23 and 28-23 are the same in that situation.

2. On Oakland's final drive why did they throw the ball downfield on 4th and inches instead of just picking up the first down, getting a fresh set of downs at midfield.

Thanks

Big win for Lebanon. Finish regular season 4-1 on the road. Now if we could just do something about that 0-3 home record. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Number two is the question of the night and why I am still stinging.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just seems like a no brainer. Only thing I can think is trying to catch Lebanon way off guard, but in that spot reward does not outweigh the risk. They had virtually no chance to get the ball back after that.

Great comeback by Oakland...20 pts. in 3 minutes of the 4th qtr.

Esp since we used the last TO....and had a FG kicker good enough to tie it up and go to OT.

there was plenty of time to score too.....like a minute 30 I believe.

Way to go Peetie Webster for scoring the TD on the fumble recovery.

Oakland played like a team with nothing to lose and dang near won the game. Reverses, hook and lateral, halfback pass, fake punt -- the Patriots left nothing in the playbook. Were they in the I formation a little more than usual tonight?

Lebanon deserves credit for that last drive, 67 yards, nine plays all on the ground. The flanker reverse to No. 34 Hollingsworth went for 30 yards and caught eveyone off guard. Sallis showed a lot of guts coming back in the game after the doctor put his shoulder back in place. LHS finished up with one QB who couldn't throw (14) and another who couldn't run (12) and 400 yards in offense.

I too, am puzzled by the decision to throw on fourth and less than a yard from mid-field on that last possession. They pretty much put the entire game on the line with one throw. Get the first down and you've got four more chances to make something happen. It looked to me like a one-man route to Webster and Lebanon had two defenders right there with him.

Number two is the question of the night and why I am still stinging.

The biggest question of the night is ,why oakland declined the holding penalty before the end of the half? There was only 11 sec on the clock and we declined the penalty and they got an easier field goal. The penalty could have possibly put them out of field goal range. Lebanon would have had to run another play with the possibility of not getting any yards and running out of time or missing a field goal 10 yards farther back.

2. On Oakland's final drive why did they throw the ball downfield on 4th and inches instead of just picking up the first down, getting a fresh set of downs at midfield.

I suspect it comes down to how much the coach thinks he can rely on his quarterback and receivers....the defense is obviously expecting a run in that case, and a long pass is the last thing on their mind so the receiver stands a good chance of being open. It looks to me like one of those decisions where the coach is a hero if it works and a goat if it doesn't.

Congrats to Lebanon.

Oakland, you almost had this one. Almost.....we didn't give up even when the score was 23-7 at the half.

I have to say that Brandon Messick, you are something else man. He was at the game sitting on the sidelines in a wheelchair. I would look over at him and he was so wanting to be in that game. You could see it in every fiber of his being. I am not sure who was responsible for the #15 decals that each player wore on their helmet in his honor, but whoever did it......HUGE kudos to you. It was VERY touching. You could see the admiration and love these kids have for him, and he was missed on the field. I was just amazed that he was there, halo and all. I am so sorry that we couldn't pull it off because he deserved that game ball.

I am not going to go into the game right now because I am still stinging........

It was great to see Messick on the side last night. You could tell that those boys wanted to pull it out for him. From what I understand #64 Swain had those decals made for the team. Brandon is supposed to come back to school on Monday. What an inspiration Messick is to all of us.

It was a terrible job by the coaches!!!!!!!!!!! Whoever called the play should have his play calling duties removed!!! Using a time out to decide to go for two .......STUPID!!!!!!!! hey coaches....TAKE THE PENALTY!!!!!.

The poor play on offense finally made its way to the defense, it was only a matter of time. Sad, sad, sad. someone owes oaklands players an apology. /mad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" />

Will someone tell me why they moved the ball so well on their first drive with valentine running the ball, and then they didn't give him the ball again untill the 2nd half.....Have they not heard of getting a player in a rhythm? It hurts to watch their decision making!!

It was a terrible job by the coaches!!!!!!!!!!! Whoever called the play should have his play calling duties removed!!! Using a time out to decide to go for two .......STUPID!!!!!!!! hey coaches....TAKE THE PENALTY!!!!!.

The poor play on offense finally made its way to the defense, it was only a matter of time. Sad, sad, sad. someone owes oaklands players an apology. /mad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" />

Will someone tell me why they moved the ball so well on their first drive with valentine running the ball, and then they didn't give him the ball again untill the 2nd half.....Have they not heard of getting a player in a rhythm? It hurts to watch their decision making!!

If you are such a good coach, you should have applied for the job. There were open spots at the beginning of the off-season. This ain't Madden. Lebannon was bringing everyone and their dog along the line. Petey had the chance, but he just didn't get it. Oh, and Precious did run the ball more than the first quarter, he just didn't make many yards.

I'm sure there will be a lot more openings at the end of this year.

You're right valentine did get more carries..I was being sarcastic, he was never given a chance to get into a rhythm. He's a twenty carry type back.

I did like the added flavor of the offense. But it was just too little too late

I know its not Madden thats why a run on 4th and two feet makes perfect sense!!!!! Instead of a POST!!!

I'm sure there will be a lot more openings at the end of this year.

You're right valentine did get more carries..I was being sarcastic, he was never given a chance to get into a rhythm. He's a twenty carry type back.

I did like the added flavor of the offense. But it was just too little too late

I know its not Madden thats why a run on 4th and two feet makes perfect sense!!!!! Instead of a POST!!!

Ferg is a god man, just not coach..

Oakland could have atleast ran a QB sneak ANYTHING!!