Ooltewah Players: On or Off Team?

RimRocker

New light on this subject; or at least a new perspective:

Yes, it's a horrible tragedy that two Ridgeland children were hurt. We can all agree on that. But apparently, the perpetrators were charged, arrested, and will be punished - we can hope - to the fullest extent of the law.

The latest news is that seven additional Ooltewah Students have been charged - some with inciting a riot, and some with failure to leave a premises after being told to do so. I paraphrased the second charge because I don't remember the specific wording that was listed in the newspaper. Both my paraphrase and the actual charge sound made up. I wonder if not doing what you're told has actually passed the Georgia State Legislature at some time in the past.

At any rate, and here is the new perspective - I am disappointed, not with the administration and staff at Ooltewah, I am disappointed with the North Georgia leadership that allowed this to happen. Children are charged with inciting a riot. Well I'm not convinced that there was a riot, but if there was, why didn't law enforcement at the game, or the Ridgeland Administrative staff, teachers, coaches, boosters, dads, uncles, etc. nip it in the bud. These were children...16, 17, maybe 18 years old. Charging them a month down the road with thin, if not made up, charges is silly. If these seven were inciting a riot, they should have been arrested the night of the incident, which means that this forum stream would not exist.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New light on this subject; or at least a new perspective:

Yes, it?s a horrible tragedy that two Ridgeland children were hurt. We can all agree on that. But apparently, the perpetrators were charged, arrested, and will be punished - we can hope - to the fullest extent of the law.

The latest news is that seven additional Ooltewah Students have been charged?some with inciting a riot?and some with failure to leave a premises after being told to do so. I paraphrased the second charge because I don?t remember the specific wording that was listed in the newspaper. Both my paraphrase and the actual charge sound made up. I wonder if ?not doing what your told? has actually passed the Georgia State Legislature at some time in the past.

At any rate, and here is the new perspective?I am disappointed, not with the administration and staff at Ooltewah?I am disappointed with the North Georgia leadership that allowed this to happen. Children are charged with inciting a riot. Well I?m not convinced that there was a riot, but if there was, why didn?t law enforcement at the game, or the Ridgeland Administrative staff, teachers, coaches, boosters, dads, uncles, etc. nip it in the bud. These were children?16, 17, maybe 18 years old. Charging them a month down the road with thin, if not made up, charges is silly. If these seven were inciting a riot, they should have been arrested the night of the incident ? which means that this forum stream would not exist.

I don't think we should question the authorities judgment. There is nothing wrong with going to a game. But, when you have a total lack of respect for other people and especially the authorities it becomes a problem. These are young men on the threshhold of adulthood who should have known better. You ask if not doing what your told is it against the law. YES. If told to pull over, you do it. Stop means stop. Leave means leave. If boosters, dads and uncles get involved with an altercation it could turn into assault on a child sense some of these kids were minors.

Benny is just going to have to get used to the fact this is not the 90's. You can't go get them out of jail or make them run laps for breaking the law. What's that teach these young men. If they disobey authority and break laws then all they get is a smack on the hand. Real Life WRONG

Benny would be a better man to take a page from that wrestling coach up in Bradley county. Sometimes character is more important than a championship.

My comparison was what a lot of teams do on Thursday night.

Next topic: no has really answered..... why does Ooltewah play only 9 games this year vs. 10 for everyone else?

It is my understanding that a couple of teams that we had beaten soundly for several years dropped us from their schedule. After many attempts, they could not find another team willing to play them.

It is my understanding that a couple of teams that we had beaten soundly for several years dropped us from their schedule. After many attempts, they could not find another team willing to play them.

And this could hurt us come play-off time. One of the tie breakers is total number of wins. We win out and OR beats Farragut, we are all tied with two losses in a round robin fashion. I need to look up the order of tie breaking, but I believe total wins is fairly early on.

Go Owls.

I don't think we should question the authorities judgment. There is nothing wrong with going to a game. But, when you have a total lack of respect for other people and especially the authorities it becomes a problem. These are young men on the threshhold of adulthood who should have known better. You ask if not doing what your told is it against the law. YES. If told to pull over, you do it. Stop means stop. Leave means leave. If boosters, dads and uncles get involved with an altercation it could turn into assault on a child sense some of these kids were minors.

Benny is just going to have to get used to the fact this is not the 90's. You can't go get them out of jail or make them run laps for breaking the law. What's that teach these young men. If they disobey authority and break laws then all they get is a smack on the hand. Real Life WRONG

Benny would be a better man to take a page from that wrestling coach up in Bradley county. Sometimes character is more important than a championship.

You just don't get it.

At any rate, and here is the new perspective - I am disappointed, not with the administration and staff at Ooltewah, I am disappointed with the North Georgia leadership that allowed this to happen. Children are charged with inciting a riot. Well I'm not convinced that there was a riot, but if there was, why didn't law enforcement at the game, or the Ridgeland Administrative staff, teachers, coaches, boosters, dads, uncles, etc. nip it in the bud. These were children...16, 17, maybe 18 years old. Charging them a month down the road with thin, if not made up, charges is silly. If these seven were inciting a riot, they should have been arrested the night of the incident, which means that this forum stream would not exist.

Slidewide, I think I understand what you're getting at, but this smacks of blaming the victim. It is not North Georgia's leadership that invited the problem; because they didn't stop it in a manner that would have kept anything bad from happening is simply wrong.

Imagine some kids came to your school, stir up some trouble, and some kids end up getting hurt. Would you blame YOUR principal, YOUR coaches, YOUR teachers, etc., with failure to stop it. That's hard to imagine as something that is realistic. Principals, teachers, etc., are there to teach and guide students; we need to quit expecting school officials to be responsible for everything that goes on, especially "sins of omission".

Coaches, likewise, since you are referring to the Ridgeland coaches. (I think Ooltewah's coach is culpable for failing to discipline, suspend, etc., but that is after the fact). To expect Ridgeland's coaches to be faulted for something beyond their control is just not believable.

One final thing, and this is directed to all on the board -- to assert that the charges are thin, "made up", politically motivated, and some of the other phrases that are being bandied about, really does a disservice to the police officers. Yes, there are bad cops. Everyone knows that. However, I know several good cops personally, and they hate it when people try to dismiss their efforts at law and order by using phrases such as "made up", etc. Give the cops/sheriff a break. These guys are doing what they are charged to do by the municipal and state authorities. They often get it wrong. But I would bet that most of the time, they are on track. And when they are not, that is why we have juries, judges, etc.

Okay, off my soapbox. Slidewide, this last rant wasn't directed toward you.

And this could hurt us come play-off time. One of the tie breakers is total number of wins. We win out and OR beats Farragut, we are all tied with two losses in a round robin fashion. I need to look up the order of tie breaking, but I believe total wins is fairly early on.

Go Owls.

HornedOwl, I'll be interested to know how that falls out. If you don't mind, can you post a little explanation. I wondered if the 9 games vs. 10 games would have an impact at the end of the year.

"Benny would be a better man to take a page from that wrestling coach up in Bradley county. Sometimes character is more important than a championship."

Amen, right on. Steve Logsdon at Bradley Central handled his team's situation perfectly. Monroe dropped the ball on this early, and is still sticking his foot into his mouth. I can't believe Ed Foster has allowed this to happen on his watch.

HornedOwl, I'll be interested to know how that falls out. If you don't mind, can you post a little explanation. I wondered if the 9 games vs. 10 games would have an impact at the end of the year.

From the TSSAA Handbook after head to head match

The following tie-breaking procedures shall be applied and all regular-season games, both region and non-region, shall count (After each of the following steps have been applied, item C above shall be applied.):

1. The team with the greatest number of victories.

2. The team who has the greatest number of victories over teams winning 50 percent or more of their games.

3. The team whose opponents have earned the most victories.

4. The team whose opponents have received fewer defeats.

5. The team who has the greatest number of victories over teams in its own class.

6. Ten yardline overtime procedure at neutral site Monday night at 7:30 P.

C. If at any point when the following tie-breaking procedures are applied, one team has beaten all the other teams that are tied for a play-off position, that team shall be rated above the others.

If the Owls and anyone are tied we start losing out based on the tie-breakers i.e. 7 wins vs. 8 wins.

I heard that we only have 9 games scheduled for next year as well. Somebody say it aint so! This only hurts us, in too many ways to mention.

I heard the same thing. Also heard that Maplewood and Whites Creek are coming back to the Nest. The only way Benny would sign them was for them to come south two years in a row. On the plus side we do get McMinn, WB, Farragut and Soddy at home next year for 6 home games. This will be a little easier on the travel budget.