Who Should Host...Who Has A field?

Canesoverhere

Kickgrass, I would agree that some post season should not be on football fields - regionals, sectionals and beyond.

However, its not very practical to have district playoffs not be held at a particular site just because they have to play on a football field. They've deserved to host a district game by virtue of their record, and should be allowed on their home field, even if its a football field.

BigG gives some very valid reasons above why we'll be doing this for some time.

If there is a will, there is a way. Most public schools (and yes private schools too) may not have the facilities or space to have a swim team, a golf team or a bowling team, but they somehow manage to find the facilities that are desirable to host the event. The state of Tennessee has many public soccer fields that could and should be used if the hosting team (post season or during season) cannot provide minimal facilities. I undertand the limitations of the school $, etc, but a little effort and cooperation between state and club could yield a better result for all. A little creativity may help solve the problem if the $ are not there.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there is a will, there is a way. Most public schools (and yes private schools too) may not have the facilities or space to have a swim team, a golf team or a bowling team, but they somehow manage to find the facilities that are desirable to host the event. The state of Tennessee has many public soccer fields that could and should be used if the hosting team (post season or during season) cannot provide minimal facilities. I undertand the limitations of the school $, etc, but a little effort and cooperation between state and club could yield a better result for all. A little creativity may help solve the problem if the $ are not there.

It all starts and ends with TSSAA. Until they mandate it, it won't happen. But how many footballl games have you seen played on a field that was 90 yards long and 40 yards wide and dirt and gravel patches in the middle of the field? None - soccer is simply one of the red-headed stepchildren of high school sports.

That could be an option. I know that Cleveland has used Lee University's field for district and regional matches, which is great, but you are also at their mercy (when they didn't want the regional semi-final match played on their wet field yesterday). Another local option might be the championship field at Camp Jordan in East Ridge (Chattanooga area). It's a nice field, in a cental location, with lights, concrete seating for fans, a concession stand, and bathrooms. Money might be an issue, and they might not like the abuse that field will get in bad weather. Bottom line, the high school football field might not be great, but it's available, free, and nobody will yell at you if it gets a little chewed up.

Bottom line, the high school football field might not be great, but it's available, free, and nobody will yell at you if it gets a little chewed up.

Other than the football coach. I've seen soccer teams who have to play in fields just above a cow pasture rating, because the football coach won't allow the soccer team on "his" field.

Other than the football coach. I've seen soccer teams who have to play in fields just above a cow pasture rating, because the football coach won't allow the soccer team on "his" field.

Title IX violation??.... A nice letter from a lawyer threatening title ix action probably would fix some of that....

Title IX violation??.... A nice letter from a lawyer threatening title ix action probably would fix some of that....

That only (unfortunately) works in comparing boys and girls soccer, not two different sports. If the boys soccer team had a better field, the argument would be valid.

That only (unfortunately) works in comparing boys and girls soccer, not two different sports. If the boys soccer team had a better field, the argument would be valid.

I??™m not sure if that is true or not. I seem to remember an issue a year or two for Hixson high school having a title ix issue, involving I thought boy??™s baseball, and girl??™s softball, each with their own (separate) fields. Maybe somebody that knows more about title ix can explain how it works or might work in our "crappy fields" vs. "nice football fields" discussion.

Here is what I see online about title ix:

) Additional Athletic Program Components: Title IX also mandates equal treatment in the provision of: Coaching Equipment and supplies

Game and practice times Locker rooms

Medical and training facilities Practice and competitive facilities

Publicity Recruitment of student athletes

Travel per diem allowances Tutoring opportunities

The standard for compliance is one of quality rather than quantity. The actual amount of money spent on women's and men's programs may differ as long the quality of facilities and services for each program achieve parity. For example, equipment needed for men's football may cost more than equipment needed by women's field hockey. Title IX compliance is achieved as long as both teams are given equipment of comparable quality. However, Title IX is violated if a community builds a state-of-the-art field and locker facilities for males, but requires female athletes to share a field owned by a local community center. In this example, quality of facilities is far from equitable, and Title IX is violated.

Madison's home field has been an old football field that is in pretty bad shape and we didn't have the money to fix it up. We worked with the City of Jackson's Park Dept. and secured one of their soccer fields. It is in immaculate condition. It has restrooms,lights and bleachers and plenty of parking. Even, great turf and irrigation. And best of all...the city does all of the upkeep on it! We get to run the gate but decided against using their concession stand because we would have to give them 25% of the sales (and that's pretty much all of the profit). There are solutions if you just look around and ASK.

On the point scale: 21

I??™m not sure if that is true or not. I seem to remember an issue a year or two for Hixson high school having a title ix issue, involving I thought boy??™s baseball, and girl??™s softball, each with their own (separate) fields. Maybe somebody that knows more about title ix can explain how it works or might work in our "crappy fields" vs. "nice football fields" discussion.

Here is what I see online about title ix:

) Additional Athletic Program Components: Title IX also mandates equal treatment in the provision of: Coaching Equipment and supplies

Game and practice times Locker rooms

Medical and training facilities Practice and competitive facilities

Publicity Recruitment of student athletes

Travel per diem allowances Tutoring opportunities

The standard for compliance is one of quality rather than quantity. The actual amount of money spent on women's and men's programs may differ as long the quality of facilities and services for each program achieve parity. For example, equipment needed for men's football may cost more than equipment needed by women's field hockey. Title IX compliance is achieved as long as both teams are given equipment of comparable quality. However, Title IX is violated if a community builds a state-of-the-art field and locker facilities for males, but requires female athletes to share a field owned by a local community center. In this example, quality of facilities is far from equitable, and Title IX is violated.

I would think the argument would carry over very nicely since football is a boys only sport, and soccer is one of the major (kind of) sports for girls. You can't compare boys football to girls football, but it would apply to the treatment of girls sports to boys sports - regardless of what that is.

Madison's home field has been an old football field that is in pretty bad shape and we didn't have the money to fix it up. We worked with the City of Jackson's Park Dept. and secured one of their soccer fields. It is in immaculate condition. It has restrooms,lights and bleachers and plenty of parking. Even, great turf and irrigation. And best of all...the city does all of the upkeep on it! We get to run the gate but decided against using their concession stand because we would have to give them 25% of the sales (and that's pretty much all of the profit). There are solutions if you just look around and ASK.

On the point scale: 21

Madison's no longer at Hollywood???? Where do they get to play now?