Lincoln County at Cookeville

jabbo

So the falcons get 4 timeouts in the second half and pull out the win. I don't want to take anything away from the falcons because both teams played an absolute outstanding football game, but what I saw from the refs tonight was an absolute disgrace to football! I am sure there were bad calls on both sides of the ball, but I am biased, and I will throw the two worst ones out to you all who were unable to attend or listen.

Bad call #1: Cookeville intercepts the ball late in the 4th quarter at the end of a big drive by Lincoln County. Flag is thrown for unsportsmanlike conduct on the Cavs. It's not that the flag was thrown that ticked me off, it's WHEN the flag was thrown. The play had been dead for, oh I don't know, 3 seconds, and the flag was thrown because Cookeville was giving high fives and stuff coming off of the field. The refs were too trigger happy and really tried to take the emotion out of this game. You can't take emotion out of a game of this caliber, and that was a crappy call.

Bad call #2: This one is the KING of bad calls. Scenerio: Cookeville has a 4 and 9 from the LC 36 with about 40 seconds to go in the game, down 10-7. LC has used all three time outs already and has none left. Cookeville lines up for the kick and LC signals for a 4th timeout. The refs, being the geniuses that they are, LET THEM HAVE IT!!! That should have been a 15 yard (correct me if I am wrong there) penalty, and Cookeville should have had a first down at the 21 yard line.

Like I said, both teams played their hearts out, and there were a lot of emotions in this game. I do not want to take a thing away from the falcons, because they played great, and I hope to see them again in a few weeks for a rematch, but these refs have to go. Anyone else see this?

Congrats to the falcons, and good luck in the playoffs. Cavs, beat WC next week!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the falcons get 4 timeouts in the second half and pull out the win. I don't want to take anything away from the falcons because both teams played an absolute outstanding football game, but what I saw from the refs tonight was an absolute disgrace to football! I am sure there were bad calls on both sides of the ball, but I am biased, and I will throw the two worst ones out to you all who were unable to attend or listen.

Bad call #1: Cookeville intercepts the ball late in the 4th quarter at the end of a big drive by Lincoln County. Flag is thrown for unsportsmanlike conduct on the Cavs. It's not that the flag was thrown that ticked me off, it's WHEN the flag was thrown. The play had been dead for, oh I don't know, 3 seconds, and the flag was thrown because Cookeville was giving high fives and stuff coming off of the field. The refs were too trigger happy and really tried to take the emotion out of this game. You can't take emotion out of a game of this caliber, and that was a crappy call.

Bad call #2: This one is the KING of bad calls. Scenerio: Cookeville has a 4 and 9 from the LC 36 with about 40 seconds to go in the game, down 10-7. LC has used all three time outs already and has none left. Cookeville lines up for the kick and LC signals for a 4th timeout. The refs, being the geniuses that they are, LET THEM HAVE IT!!! That should have been a 15 yard (correct me if I am wrong there) penalty, and Cookeville should have had a first down at the 21 yard line.

Like I said, both teams played their hearts out, and there were a lot of emotions in this game. I do not want to take a thing away from the falcons, because they played great, and I hope to see them again in a few weeks for a rematch, but these refs have to go. Anyone else see this?

Congrats to the falcons, and good luck in the playoffs. Cavs, beat WC next week!

I agree with you on one thing the officials were pretty bad, but, not just against your Cookeville Cavs. I saw several things that Cookeville did that were not called ,like the holding that went on against our D.E. # 38 Bryson all night long that was never called, and how Qb. Chris Shelton didn't score a Td. on a qb. sneak on the 1 foot line when he took three steps north and south is beyond me, can't wait to see that on film.

Yes, it was a poor officiated game I agree with you on that, but the bad calls went against BOTH teams not just Cookeville.

We had a game that there was 2 very evenly matched teams, and neither gave up, and fought down to the bitter end, and I must say, that when we had the bad snap on the p.a.t. after the td. in overtime, I thought that we were probably beat but, the Falcon Defense once rose to the occasion, and saved our butt.

Great game by both teams, no one has anything to be ashamed of for sure.

Good luck to Cookeville the rest of the year!

I agree, there was some bad officiating both ways, but they did not give LC the 4th timeout. They didn't call a penalty, but they told them they were out of timeouts and made them get lined back up on the ball. At that point Cookeville was lined up for a field goal to tie, so IMO, it didn't make any difference in the outcome of the game. Cookeville just didn't get it done in overtime.

LC gave away several chances to win the game earlier. It really shouldn't have come down to OT. But you have to play every down, so.....

Way to go Falcons!!

Now, go beat Coffee County and take the region title!!!

I agree, there was some bad officiating both ways, but they did not give LC the 4th timeout. They didn't call a penalty, but they told them they were out of timeouts and made them get lined back up on the ball. At that point Cookeville was lined up for a field goal to tie, so IMO, it didn't make any difference in the outcome of the game. Cookeville just didn't get it done in overtime.

LC gave away several chances to win the game earlier. It really shouldn't have come down to OT. But you have to play every down, so.....

Way to go Falcons!!

Now, go beat Coffee County and take the region title!!!

Im pretty sure it did have an outcome of the game. What are you talking about? When LC calls a timeout and the ref blows the whistle dead to give them the timeout, and then realize they don't have one, then its a flag. Since when does a ref not throw a flag and then just lets the team line up like nothing happend. That would have given Cookeville 1st and ten on the twenty with 40 secs to go. Worse non call i have ever seen.

Im pretty sure it did have an outcome of the game. What are you talking about? When LC calls a timeout and the ref blows the whistle dead to give them the timeout, and then realize they don't have one, then its a flag. Since when does a ref not throw a flag and then just lets the team line up like nothing happend. That would have given Cookeville 1st and ten on the twenty with 40 secs to go. Worse non call i have ever seen.

OK, that's why Cookeville lost. Go with that.

Congrats to Lincoln Co. on their win. I hated to see the Cavs lose this one, but it was not meant to be last night. Coach Thompson runs a quality program and is a tough competitor. I have a question, did anyone understand the call against Cookeville that appeared to be called a chop block on the defense? I did not think you can call a chop block on the defense. I am almost certain that it what the official signaled on the field. Did I get this wrong or did the official misinterpret the rule book?