Ooltewah Defensive Coordinator

Owlfan

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the kids in Pee Wee football watch the Pros on tv throw a shoulder and knock someone down and think they can do the same. I've heard coaches say they taught the basics but in games the kids revert to the ol shoulder block instead of "wraping-up the runner". It goes on all over.

It really seems as if good tackling is not taught anymore. When I was younger we were taught to put your facemask under their chin and wrap your arms around them. You see it at UT you see it in the NFL for some reason defensive back think they can just lay a shoulder into the runner and knock them off their feet. Well not many 160lb high school db's are gonna knock a decent back off his feet that way (if the back has any balance at all) How many times have you seen Marshall go down to one of those glancing blows. Just my opinion but the cornerbacks should be more physical when the recievers are leaving the line. I am not sure if checking receiver at line is even legal in highschool however. So far the most impressive part of the Owl defense has been Jaquez Smith. I don't have all the answers but I just know what I watch week in and week out leaves alot to be desired from a defensive standpoint.

I seem to remember a play last year where other team had like 3rd and 20 with 30 sec left in half and for some reason a reciever was wide open for a touchdown. What did the defense think they were gonna do run it up the middle?

One of the biggest problems with tackling today is that so many are trying to strip the ball they forget to tackle first and then try and strip the ball.

This was apparent last night in the R'dale vs Smyrna game as well. Smyrna was so intent on stripping they missed some crucial tackles.

wellsaid they want to be the focus of the headlines in the paper the next morning in stead of making the tackel or knocking the ball down

I have disagreed with our coaching many times this year.

Notably:

Onside Kicks: At Farragut, the Onside kick with three minutes was highly unecessary, and I noted it as such at the time of the kick. 3 timeouts with that much time, just get a stop. If we'd have gotten the ball after the punt at the 35-50 instead of inside the ten, things might have been different. Tonight, we kicked it deep with 4 minutes and 10 points down. Then we didn't call any time-outs when we did stop them, and the players got ticked. Basically, we gave up.

Brady Reed: He's a Sophomore, and he doesn't know what he's doing. The first game should've given that away, where he threw two complete ducks to Gino Norwood that were amazing catches. If we're going to use him, let's get some good screen passes going to Swafford and Norwood.

Matthew Polk: Extremely underused and quick player. Should've been a one two Warrick Dunn/Jerious Norwood type situation. This could be rubbish though. He never really played much against 1st string or good defenses. I'd still like to see us try a bit more though.

The offensive scheme-Marshall has four plays-Swing Pass, Delayed handoff L/R, Shovel Pass, and Outside Toss. How hard can it be to scheme four plays. I'm sure the QB can learn more than that. Plus, with two great Running Backs and Two fast, bruising fullbacks, we could've had solid Wing-T, and used much less passing.

Secondary was the reason we didn't win state last year, and not much has improved. I know we have talent, so it must be coaching.

The O-line isn't near last year's level either, but I can't fault that too much. We're young.

There's a lot of youth out there on the field, but I would've been much more satisfied this year with the 7-2 record we were talented enough to have vs. the 6-3 we're going to get.

u fault everyone evrybody on the team for being young except the O line??????????????? is your child on the O line?? they got out played plain and simple just chalk it up as a lesson and see what happens next year.