1st round - Johnson Co. @ Morr. West

randy3116

I thought I might as well get this thread going. Johnson Co. has the #3 spot wrapped up in the MLC and it's highly probable that West will be the #2 seed out of the 5 Rivers Conference.

Trivia #1 - Johnson Co. could well lay claim to Burke-Toney as being their home-away-from-home since they have played here in their last 3 playoff games (2001, 2005, and 2006).

Trivia #2 - Johnson County's last football playoff win came in 1988; a 21-17 victory over Knox Webb.

Trivia #3 - Since 1999, the Longhorns have found 1st round games to be tough going being outscored 152-40.

Back to the future ... Statistically speaking, this year, Johnson County and West are very similar. Both teams average 21-22 ppg offensively and are only allowing 17-19 ppg. The Longhorns have had the toughest schedule between the two, however, playing 3 undefeated teams (as of this writing) in Hampton, Su. South and Tennessee High. In fact, those 3 teams account for the only blemishes on Johnson County's record. They are also 5-0 at home.

But, Burke-Toney ain't home. Since the mid-season break, the Trojans appear to be playing stronger and with more confidence than earlier in the year scoring, roughly, 2 points for every 1 allowed.

West literally has Johnson County outmanned and I think that will prove to be one of the deciding factors in the 2nd half allowing West to pull away with fresher players.

Opinions, though, are like elbows; most people have at least a couple. How about it Longhorns?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought I might as well get this thread going. Johnson Co. has the #3 spot wrapped up in the MLC and it's highly probable that West will be the #2 seed out of the 5 Rivers Conference.

Trivia #1 - Johnson Co. could well lay claim to Burke-Toney as being their home-away-from-home since they have played here in their last 3 playoff games (2001, 2005, and 2006).

Trivia #2 - Johnson County's last football playoff win came in 1988; a 21-17 victory over Knox Webb.

Trivia #3 - Since 1999, the Longhorns have found 1st round games to be tough going being outscored 152-40.

Back to the future ... Statistically speaking, this year, Johnson County and West are very similar. Both teams average 21-22 ppg offensively and are only allowing 17-19 ppg. The Longhorns have had the toughest schedule between the two, however, playing 3 undefeated teams (as of this writing) in Hampton, Su. South and Tennessee High. In fact, those 3 teams account for the only blemishes on Johnson County's record. They are also 5-0 at home.

But, Burke-Toney ain't home. Since the mid-season break, the Trojans appear to be playing stronger and with more confidence than earlier in the year scoring, roughly, 2 points for every 1 allowed.

West literally has Johnson County outmanned and I think that will prove to be one of the deciding factors in the 2nd half allowing West to pull away with fresher players.

Opinions, though, are like elbows; most people have at least a couple. How about it Longhorns?

It is always tough to make the playoffs if you are Johnson County playing in the MLC. The last playoff win was at the AA level that you are speaking of and we actually had some dominate years at that level. Ever since getting moved to AAA (which JC still is) and actually playing AAAA to avoid travel it has been a tough road. The one thing I will say is that most are disappointed with our finish this year unlike last year when we finished 3rd which was the highest we ever had. Last year we came within inches of getting East. Your point is well taken about the numbers and it is tough for JC to avoid injuires,etc. with alot going both ways. But with that said, in the MLC and the playoffs we are always outmanned from the numbers. It is nothing new. JC will always play with heart and they will always hit. Those two are a given. You have a good point on the fresher players in the second half but as your points above mentioned I truely believe JC is hungry for a win and not just happy to be here again. Guess we will know in a couple of weeks just how hungry. Best of luck.

Sullivan South and Tn. High both have 1 loss, though not in their conference at this writing. Morristown West will have their way with the men from the higher elevations.

I don't know about West having there way with JC. West is not as strong as they have been in the past I hope JC can come out with a win ( I don't know.) but I do thing that the game will be close. GO LONGHORNS!!!!!!!!! /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

I'm going to wait a week before I get into this West as not sewed up 2nd place yet, got to wait til Friday Nite, talk to ya then /mellow.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":mellow:" border="0" alt="mellow.gif" />

I'm going to wait a week before I get into this West as not sewed up 2nd place yet, got to wait til Friday Nite, talk to ya then /mellow.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":mellow:" border="0" alt="mellow.gif" />

I agree. Take care of this friday and worry about next game afterwards. GO LONGHORNS!!! /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" />

West cannot finish below 2nd place. It is mathematically impossible. There is a chance (if Greeneville loses) for West to be the first seed, but I do not see Greeneville losing.

West cannot finish below 2nd place. It is mathematically impossible. There is a chance (if Greeneville loses) for West to be the first seed, but I do not see Greeneville losing.

That's good to know. So now we can get ready to post /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

/ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" /> When the time comes all the LONGHORN FANS need to get on the band wagon, get behind the team be there for them, they have gave us a great season and we owe them a great deal of thanks. Because without them getting out there every Friday Nite playing there hearts out , we would have nothing to watch, enjoy, or talk about. Longhorns remember there are more than home game lets all (Longhorn Fans) come out and support these young men when they go to the playoffs. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

One more thank you it's to all the young men who play high school football you play in hot,cold,rain, and sometimes a little snow. You play hurt and sick. I ask my son why he said "I Love the Game That's Why"

Well there ya go. Anyway thanks guys for all your hard work and good luck to all schools. /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" /> /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Great post!! Allot of information. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />