message to the officials

uoftfanatic

Great Post!!!!!

If all the cry babies on here would become officials and spend all thier time reading the rule book and polishing up on their signal calling instead of spending all their time bashing the officials on here, then we wouldn't be having this discussion. Then again they probably couldn't handle all the fans getting on them when they may or may not have missed a call!

Why do fans want to blame officials for thier team losing?

Did thier team's defense shut the other team's offense down completly?

Did thier team's offense even score?

Did thier QB complete every single pass and not throw any int.s?

Did thier Coach make the right call on every 3rd down?

Did little Johnny make a mistake and they have to blame someone other than little Johnny?

I could go on, but I won't. /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

Sorry but this is a very lame excuse for why your team lost! And I'll bet nobody every complains about the officials when thier team is blowing out another team. They are probably sitting there hoping that don't throw any flags so the game will end quicker!

Until you have walked a mile in another man's shoes don't complain about his journey! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Would love to.

Have had refs tell me I need to ref because they know I would be a good one

Alas, wish my day job would allow it.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lincoln County is famous for their 'good' home field officiating. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

My only suggestion to officials would be to call what you see, and only what you see. Not what you think happened or what you think might happen. For instance, if a ball goes up in the air after leaving the QBs hand, it can't be incomplete until it touches the ground. Another for instance, just because someone is moving in a certain direction or falls down, it does not mean that a player from the other team caused it...unless you actually saw it with your eyes. There is a lot of good acting going on these days and people are taking advantage of the officials' eagerness to throw their flags.

90% of the officials do a great job and should be commended for the job they do.

I do agree with the first post though. Please step up your game as well during the playoffs...nobody wants to see a team's season end due to a bad call from an official. Let the players decide the games.

This one is my favorite! I can say last year 1st round playoffs Lebanon v. LC, I was on the sideline, and Lebanon could have won or lost that game on their own. We did not however need bad call at the end that ruined the game even more for us. By the way I do believe the offical on our sideline did end up deciding that one call imparticular was wrong, at least they can admit it sometimes.

Advice as many have put, dont call what you cant really see!!

I will take issue with any official who does not like fan criticism. I also do not agree with the,"well why don't you just become an official yourself" stance either. It is my belief that any job that you are getting paid for, needs to be a job well done. It is the job of the official to be well versed in the rules, and to pay attention to the game at all times. Fans certainly have a right to complain about the officiating this year. Personally, I think it gets worse as the years go by.

This thread is sad!!!! All these people complaining about the refs, wow there is 5 of them out on the field at one time. They can't see everything and i did like the guy that said if u have a problem become a ref. Easy as that if u can do better show it. stink it up if your being held play dirty until ur called or do something don't just whine and say boo-who the refs are bad

Also.. to be an official they should be in good physical condition to enable them to keep up with the game... There are far to many overweight... /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" /> , out of shape officials that cannot move well enough to stay in position to make the proper calls.... Many times we question their vision when the fact of the matter is they are out of position....

Amen. Some of them seem to struggle up and down the field with overweight, bad knees, etc. and for many calls they need to be on top of things.

To be fair I will make this statement... It is a hard job that requires alot of time and knowledge to do well... I'm glad there are people willing to do this... I'm not sure how much they get paid but I know its probably not alot....

I believe that I read that they got about $80 per game. Plus, it is up to them to stay current on rules/regs, etc., at their own cost. Not a great amount of pay, especially when at least half of the stands hates you at any given time.

I'm going to take up for them for a moment (until our next ballgame!!) and guess that they must really like to ref. They certainly don't do it for the money. Most of them probably love the game 110% in order to ref. They know that at any moment they can flip a ballgame (witness the number of "make-up" calls immediately after a bad call). I'd say most truly hate blowing a call. Plus sometimes they get creamed by some young buck in pads .... that's got to hurt.

Anyway, I'm like everyone else .... I hate 'em when they miss calls, are inconsistent with holding calls, and I truly love to yell at them, although it doesn't change a thing but lets me take out my aggression. But if the TSSAA doesn't offer more money or something, I think officiating will be on the poor side for years to come.

That leaves no room for losing a game because and overweight, too old, half blind official couldn't give a flip about whats gone into each and every game. Come on TSSAA lets at least have three strikes and your out.

You're crazy if TSSAA comes up with a 3 strikes and your out rule. There'd be no officials in the state. Do you really want a bunch of amateur, first-year refs?

I've moaned and groaned about officiating at every game. To me, it is part of the game. I've been to lots of ballgames where there seems to be bias, but it seems to work both ways. Me and the fellows I sit with are quick to point out (to each other) when we got away with a no-call, but we let the refs have it when it goes the other way. Part of the game, I say.

I've been to one game where I'm fairly convinced that there was so much home-cooking late in the game, that the game was thrown. Supposedly the game was sent to review to TSSAA .... not sure if it actually was, but coach threatened to do so. But that is the only one that I've been to that was blatant.

What I wonder about is why doesn't HS football do like some sports do ... if there is a rules dispute, bring out the rule book. I've seen that happen in baseball (believe it was the George Brett pine-tar incident where Billy Martin refreshed the ump's memory of the rule), plus some other sports. Wouldn't help in all cases, but it would have helped in regard to the previous mentioned case of where to spot the ball after a missed field goal attempt.

It's seem that some people are under the impression that I am an official, don't remember saying that I was? Just because I try to get people to look at both sides of the picture before passing judgement. Also I don't think I misread the thread topic "message to officials" meaning your had something you wanted to say to the officials, seeing how only one responded (umpirie2829) then they (the refs) probably aren't reading this anyways. So I guess that this thread is kind of useless then.

BTW; not whining just trying to get people to stop and look, seems as it work to a small degree.

Kudos to "jethro" at least you do see the calls that go for your team along with the one's that don't.

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE IN THE POST SEASON! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Good Morning All..... /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

While we are on the subject I would like to ask an official a question...( if there are any reading this thread...come on now...we know you are lurking out there somewhere.).... /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" /> ... What are the rules regarding the changing of the footballs during an offensive posession?.. I've been to enough different areas to determine that whatever policy is in place is not consistent from region to region or even county to county.... Also how many different balls are approved by the TSSAA ? ( Brand, Models Ect...)... /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Also if any fans have any imput please feel free to chime in..... (You don't have to be a zebra ..... /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> )

Good Morning All..... /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

While we are on the subject I would like to ask an official a question...( if there are any reading this thread...come on now...we know you are lurking out there somewhere.).... /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" /> ... What are the rules regarding the changing of the footballs during an offensive posession?.. I've been to enough different areas to determine that whatever policy is in place is not consistent from region to region or even county to county.... Also how many different balls are approved by the TSSAA ? ( Brand, Models Ect...)... /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Also if any fans have any imput please feel free to chime in..... (You don't have to be a zebra ..... /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> )

I am not sure of the offcial rules but i do know that we were allowed to have 6 balls checked and approved by our sideline official, then at anytime we wanted to change the ball on our possesion we were allowed to as long as we asked or said ball change after a play so after the next play it was ready to be changed, or if the offcial asked it was changed.

I am not sure of the offcial rules but i do know that we were allowed to have 6 balls checked and approved by our sideline official, then at anytime we wanted to change the ball on our possesion we were allowed to as long as we asked or said ball change after a play so after the next play it was ready to be changed, or if the offcial asked it was changed.

OK... But can you change brands?????

As long as the ball meets the approved criteria it can be used in the game regardless of the manufacturer. It has to be one of the balls approved by the official in pregame. Some officials even mark the balls that they have approved. I have never seen a coach ask the officials to check a ball to see if it was a legal ball, has anyone else?