celebraton penalty's are they to harsh

harley2004

Here is part of the rule.....

Rule 9-2-1-a-1-a

Unsportsmanlike acts. Added listing of examples developed by CCA supervisors of

officials and others to this section to encourage more consistent application of this rule:

???Examples of such acts include, but are not limited to:

--Imitating a slash of the throat;

--Resembling the firing of a weapon;

--Bowing at the waist;

--Punching one??™s own chest excessively;

--Crossing one??™s arms in front of the chest;

--Placing one??™s hand by the ear as if to indicate that the player cannot hear the spectators;

--Diving into the end zone when unchallenged by an opponent;

--Entering the end zone with an unnatural stride (e.g., high stepping);

--Going significantly beyond the end line to interact with spectators;

--Standing over a prone player in a taunting manner;

--Attempting to make the ball spin as it were a top;

--Performing a choreographed act with a teammate(s) (e.g., pretending to take a photo,

falling down in unison); and

--Entering the field of play by coaches or substitutes in protest of officials??™ calls.???

Additionally, the committee added language to the rule that reads: ???Spontaneous

celebrating with teammates on the field of play, provided it is not prolonged, taunting or

intended to bring attention to the individual player, is allowed.???

Rationale: By providing a list of examples, the committee hopes to assist officials to

consistently enforce this penalty. Also, the committee believes there are some situations

in which celebration penalties are flagged where the celebration was spontaneous and not

excessive or prolonged. This isn??™t a lessening of the penalty, but a reminder that team

celebrations encouragement should be allowed.

Union City has had two called on them this season where the player crossing the goalline raised the ball over his head...Nothing other than that.....Yes,they do go a little overboard sometimes....

In High school or college?

In High school the only celebration penalty I have ever seen called was when a WR caught a pass and was ahead of everyone by 15 yards, and still dove into the endzone. Flagged him for unsportsmanlike.

In College they are alot more lenient on these things, Although this year they have decided that it is a penalty for the visiting team to score a touchdown and then do the "shhh" gesture with his finger in front of his mouth to the crowd.

Overall I think that the rules are fine... Most of the time it is ref's choice on when to throw the rag and when not to. They can usually tell when someone is just celebrating vs. trying to rub it in to the other team or something.

FCS....In two separate games involving Union City by two separate crews the refs called UC for excessive celebration and all the player did was raise the ball over his head as he crossed the goalline....The only other celebration penalty I have seen UC called for was two years ago when UC beat Jo Byrns in the state semis at Jo Byrns....Nate Coleman for UC dove into the endzone with nobody around him and was rightfully flagged...The two called this season on UC were ticky-tac to say the least...

FCS....In two separate games involving Union City by two separate crews the refs called UC for excessive celebration and all the player did was raise the ball over his head as he crossed the goalline....The only other celebration penalty I have seen UC called for was two years ago when UC beat Jo Byrns in the state semis at Jo Byrns....Nate Coleman for UC dove into the endzone with nobody around him and was rightfully flagged...The two called this season on UC were ticky-tac to say the least...

Well I don't know what to say. I trust the ref's to know what they are talking about. When entering the endzone the players have gotta be carefull what they do. Especially if it is a blowout game and they are just killing the other team. I agree with whatever the ref's usually say, They are just trying to keep people from gloating or anything that can be gloating. It isn't so that nobody feels bad, it is to try and keep fights from happening.

Goes back to the old adage " Act like you've been there before", even if you haven't.

Plenty of room on the sideline for celebration....no penalty.

well in high school I dont think a flip or dive should be a penalty but if it gets out of hand yeah sure call it but I think sometimes refs get flag happy on this subject, but maybe its just me cause i enjoy a little celebration here and there in the pro's and college football....makes the game a little more entertaining but in high school theres not alot of room for it

In High school the only celebration penalty I have ever seen called was when a WR caught a pass and was ahead of everyone by 15 yards, and still dove into the endzone. Flagged him for unsportsmanlike.

This happened to Elizabethton High coupla years ago, they were down by 8, the WR dove into the endzone with noone around him, they had to go for 2 from the 17...

Goes back to the old adage " Act like you've been there before", even if you haven't.

Plenty of room on the sideline for celebration....no penalty.

Exactly...! One of the more funny moments that I'm trying to remember from high school football. A couple of years back in the Army HS All-American game; one of the more cocky kids was running all my himself and went to do his flip at the goal line and either landed at the 1 foot line or fumbled the ball "enflip". Whichever it was, he didn't score. I'm sure he regretted it when the camera kept zooming in on him on the sideline and he was popping up on the Jumbotron...lol