college prospects

ExReb80

Not taking anything from Spann but Clay Head from a few years back had better numbers, size, arm, and over-all tools, and he didnt get any looks. I believe Head and even Spann now deserved/deserves to get some looks and should have/have the opportunity to play college ball but players in 1A and particuarly JBS just dont get that much exposure. I mean think about it, when you watch the news on Friday nites the games that get highlighted are Goodpasture, CPA, MBA, BA and well you know the rest.....

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not taking anything from Spann but Clay Head from a few years back had better numbers, size, arm, and over-all tools, and he didnt get any looks. I believe Head and even Spann now deserved/deserves to get some looks and should have/have the opportunity to play college ball but players in 1A and particuarly JBS just dont get that much exposure. I mean think about it, when you watch the news on Friday nites the games that get highlighted are Goodpasture, CPA, MBA, BA and well you know the rest.....

the season is not over yet, and yes Clays num were 2298 pass with 32 tds and such a great athlete, although there are some differences, Clays maturity level was not at the high school level but much above, far as overall tallent I wont argue the point among these 2 great QBs from JB but give them both there due, maybe someone other than JB supporters can clear thing up a little, not in comparison but current today tallent that Spann has.

the season is not over yet, and yes Clays num were 2298 pass with 32 tds and such a great athlete, although there are some differences, Clays maturity level was not at the high school level but much above, far as overall tallent I wont argue the point among these 2 great QBs from JB but give them both there due, maybe someone other than JB supporters can clear thing up a little, not in comparison but current today tallent that Spann has.

Spann is a tremendous athlete! No doubt about that. . . So was Clay Head a few years ago. There's two things these guys both did- Win and Make Plays doing it! I've seen alot of small college football games and i know that Spann can make plays in College Football. He still has room to grow and has a great arm and can make plays with his legs also. Another one from Jo Byrnes is Orlando Thomas I believe his name is. Isnt a superstar but makes BIG plays in BIG games. Ins't that what your suppose to do? Region 5 1A has had some college people the past few years. Tuck from Jo Byrnes, Day&Carter from Cascade, and Johnson and Klaren from Forrest. So it's possible .

It is often up to the high school coaches to see to it that films and stats of their best get sent to the recruitment office in colleges. I have known parents who did it themselves in other sports--and got scholarships for their children. I don't know that the media is their only source.

I agree w/ what you said here but also media exposure does help out alot as well. It is so hard to try to interpret how talent will translate from top level HS-football to college, nuch less 1A football to college level. I have been at APSU the last 3 years and I tell you right now that Clay Head could be the starting QB at this school had he come here to play football and I would also say that he would have done really well too. I also feel that Spann could play at APSU as well but I dont feel his arm strength and over-all size is as good as Clay Head so he might not do as well but still do well. Spann has a more slender build and Clay had some bulk on him and I feel that would factor in as far as durability and things like that.....

I agree w/ what you said here but also media exposure does help out alot as well. It is so hard to try to interpret how talent will translate from top level HS-football to college, nuch less 1A football to college level. I have been at APSU the last 3 years and I tell you right now that Clay Head could be the starting QB at this school had he come here to play football and I would also say that he would have done really well too. I also feel that Spann could play at APSU as well but I dont feel his arm strength and over-all size is as good as Clay Head so he might not do as well but still do well. Spann has a more slender build and Clay had some bulk on him and I feel that would factor in as far as durability and things like that.....

What is Clay Head doing? Most colleges will at least look at walk-ons. If he is as good as you say (and I believe you--I've seen him)he would make a great addition to any team.

Mr Hightower...come on down to T'town /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Dont'a Hightower has made his decision.

On Wednesday morning, the 6-3, 240-pound linebacker/defensive end from Lewisburg-Marshall County, Tennessee will announce publicly whether it's Alabama or Vanderbilt.

"It's hard to choose from the two schools," Hightower says. "They both have a lot of positive things going for them."

Hightower, who ranks among the top prospects in Tennessee, has made unofficial visits to Alabama, Georgia Tech and Vanderbilt this fall. This past weekend, he was in Nashville for the Commodores loss to Kentucky.

"It went pretty good," Hightower says of the visit. "Vanderbilt played well. I was impressed. They have an up-and-coming program. I was impressed with the community. Downtown Nashville is special. They have excellent academics. Their graduation rate is outstanding. Overall, it was my best visit to Vanderbilt."

Hightower has had Alabama hovering at the top of his list for several months.

"I like everything about Alabama," Hightower says. "I like the state of Alabama. I like the community of Tuscaloosa. It's a nice area. The tradition Alabama has in football is historical. Alabama football is like the New York Yankees. It's special."

In case you missed it last week.....

For two weeks, speculation had been rampant that Memphis-Evangelical Christian offensive lineman Barrett Jones was close to pulling the trigger for the Crimson Tide. On Monday night, Jones, a 6-5, 275-pound prep All-American decided to end the recruiting process. He called coaches at Tennessee, Georgia, Vanderbilt, Florida and North Carolina to inform them that he had decided upon the Crimson Tide.

"After much prayer and visits to a number of schools, I have decided to choose the University of Alabama to continue my education and my football career," Jones said in a statement he released on Tuesday morning.

What is Clay Head doing? Most colleges will at least look at walk-ons. If he is as good as you say (and I believe you--I've seen him)he would make a great addition to any team.

The last I heard from some JBS guys is that he is attending UT (Knoxville) and he never did attempt to walk on or anything to play football. Anybody correct me if I am wrong.....

Spann is a tremendous athlete! No doubt about that. . . So was Clay Head a few years ago. There's two things these guys both did- Win and Make Plays doing it! I've seen alot of small college football games and i know that Spann can make plays in College Football. He still has room to grow and has a great arm and can make plays with his legs also. Another one from Jo Byrnes is Orlando Thomas I believe his name is. Isnt a superstar but makes BIG plays in BIG games. Ins't that what your suppose to do? Region 5 1A has had some college people the past few years. Tuck from Jo Byrnes, Day&Carter from Cascade, and Johnson and Klaren from Forrest. So it's possible .

Day and Carter are both at NAIA LAmbuth University in Jackson, TN!!!!!!

The last I heard from some JBS guys is that he is attending UT (Knoxville) and he never did attempt to walk on or anything to play football. Anybody correct me if I am wrong.....

You are correct on what he is doing. Clay left it all on the field on a very cold, late November nite against Union City in '05.

I agree with all the would've and could've about Clay. He was a rare talent that could have been the starting QB anywhere in TN, HS or college. Yes, in my own biased opinion, I think he could've had a shot at eventually being the starting QB at UT.

As far as Shane goes...He is coming into his own at a very good time. I never thought he would hold a candle to Clay, and I'm glad he has proved me wrong. I don't know Shane personally at all, but they are very comparable and if Shane can put on a little more muscle, then the sky is the limit. I'm a Peay alum and would love to see Shane go there.