Cane Ridge

Croach

Coach,

You're one of the best candidates out there. The absolute best candidate would probably be coaching about 1.4 miles away, but that might be career suicide for Mike Woodward to make that move (even though I think CRHS may end up being a better job long-term than AHS). What about Steve Carson down at Smyrna? He's a guy that is 8 minutes down I-24 and has paid his dues and won big as an assistant. Eric Felts is a natural fit at that place, due to his AHS ties, if he would want it. I'd take either Deadman or Jennings off of Wilson Central's staff, those guys have played good defense for several years. Chad Kirby at Ravenwood is going to be a great head coach for somebody soon, why not ten minutes away at CRHS. I've already thrown out the Terry Anderson setting things up and handing the baton to Trent angle 3-4 years down the road, but there may be some nepotism laws against that, I don't know. But I think Trent could be a good one soon.

I really think the Cane Ridge job is one of those that might be that perfect job, if set up correctly. The economics and zoning are favorable. The neighborhood is growing rapidly west of I-24 and south of Bell. And CR is probably not going to have some of the issues that AHS has. I look at this as a quasi-Metro job. Yeah, its a Metro job, but its probably closer, socially, to Ravenwood and LaVergne, its two connecting zones other than AHS. Just my opinion.

I do not think Mike would want to move,but only he would know. I have no desire and I do not think Terry would. You mentioned some good candidates, it will be interesting.If Trent gets the job one day, I would like to help him,with his dad helping.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This will not be as good a job as some on here are thinking. It will be nickle and dimed by metro budgeting and will take years to get it up to par with other new schools in surrounding counties that have done so well so quickly. The Antioch players that will have a zoing choice of going to Cane Ridge will probably stay with an established program. Also, the typical metro way of opening a school with all four classes already in it will create an atmosphere that lacks great school spirit. Kids that will be forced there wont be all that eager. Metro needs to take a cue from Williamson and some others that when they open a new school, open with no more than freshmen and sophmores and build your school and your programs that way. Opening up playing a varsity schdule with cast off senors from other schools who were not playing at their original school, or with kids who are forced by transportation issues to go to a school they don't want to go to is setting up a program to start off struggling. Once that lossing habit sets in, its very hard to break. Metro, in its typical fashion, will screw this one up. This will not be a good coaching job for years.This will not be as good a job as some on here are thinking. It will be nickle and dimed by metro budgeting and will take years to get it up to par with other new schools in surrounding counties that have done so well so quickly. The Antioch players that will have a zoing choice of going to Cane Ridge will probably stay with an established program. Also, the typical metro way of opening a school with all four classes already in it will create an atmosphere that lacks great school spirit. Kids that will be forced there wont be all that eager. Metro needs to take a cue from Williamson and some others that when they open a new school, open with no more than freshmen and sophmores and build your school and your programs that way. Opening up playing a varsity schdule with cast off senors from other schools who were not playing at their original school, or with kids who are forced by transportation issues to go to a school they don't want to go to is setting up a program to start off struggling. Once that lossing habit sets in, its very hard to break. Metro, in its typical fashion, will screw this one up. This will not be a good coaching job for years.

Guest workinprogress

This will not be as good a job as some on here are thinking. It will be nickle and dimed by metro budgeting and will take years to get it up to par with other new schools in surrounding counties that have done so well so quickly. The Antioch players that will have a zoing choice of going to Cane Ridge will probably stay with an established program. Also, the typical metro way of opening a school with all four classes already in it will create an atmosphere that lacks great school spirit. Kids that will be forced there wont be all that eager. Metro needs to take a cue from Williamson and some others that when they open a new school, open with no more than freshmen and sophmores and build your school and your programs that way. Opening up playing a varsity schdule with cast off senors from other schools who were not playing at their original school, or with kids who are forced by transportation issues to go to a school they don't want to go to is setting up a program to start off struggling. Once that lossing habit sets in, its very hard to break. Metro, in its typical fashion, will screw this one up. This will not be a good coaching job for years.This will not be as good a job as some on here are thinking. It will be nickle and dimed by metro budgeting and will take years to get it up to par with other new schools in surrounding counties that have done so well so quickly. The Antioch players that will have a zoing choice of going to Cane Ridge will probably stay with an established program. Also, the typical metro way of opening a school with all four classes already in it will create an atmosphere that lacks great school spirit. Kids that will be forced there wont be all that eager. Metro needs to take a cue from Williamson and some others that when they open a new school, open with no more than freshmen and sophmores and build your school and your programs that way. Opening up playing a varsity schdule with cast off senors from other schools who were not playing at their original school, or with kids who are forced by transportation issues to go to a school they don't want to go to is setting up a program to start off struggling. Once that lossing habit sets in, its very hard to break. Metro, in its typical fashion, will screw this one up. This will not be a good coaching job for years.

I think that it is the intent of metro to open Cane Ridge with just ninth and tenth graders mainly. Juniors and Seniors will be given a choice as to what school they want to attend. It should be interesting.

This is a job that I have wondered about too. I got a chance to know Abner a long time ago through a summer job I had as a youngster and he is a great guy. But, I have to agree that this job "opening" looks like Metro politics at its best. Instead of getting the best coach they can get, they have somebody basically grandfathered in. I agree with Nio's list that Carson is a guy who should get a shot somewhere soon. I've known him since I was playing at Antioch and he's always been a good one.[/color] I don't know Kirby, but my boss' kid played for him and he and his son speak highly of the guy. I also agree with Jennings. He's a guy that I have gotten the chance to know personally, and the love he has for what he's doing makes him a guy to watch. Bush is a guy who has paid his dues, but he just said he ain't going, so squash that.

This is a job that I have wondered about too. I got a chance to know Abner a long time ago through a summer job I had as a youngster and he is a great guy. But, I have to agree that this job "opening" looks like Metro politics at its best. Instead of getting the best coach they can get, they have somebody basically grandfathered in. I agree with Nio's list that Carson is a guy who should get a shot somewhere soon. I've known him since I was playing at Antioch and he's always been a good one.[/color] I don't know Kirby, but my boss' kid played for him and he and his son speak highly of the guy. I also agree with Jennings. He's a guy that I have gotten the chance to know personally, and the love he has for what he's doing makes him a guy to watch. Bush is a guy who has paid his dues, but he just said he ain't going, so squash that.

Abner just might be the best choice. Never know till he is in a good situation.

Abner has a great relationship with the administrator, but that person is not a great administrator. Her best skill has been keeping all of the negatives of Glencliff out of the news.

CR will be a better situation for him than Glencliff, and he will win more games, but it wont be a cake walk. When that administrator retires or gets moved to the board for an early retirement paid position, CR will become competitive.

Guys, honestly there is no ax to grind here. I'm not in metro. But I know the system well, and have had the unfortunate pleasure of being in some meetings where this administrator was. Typical metro hires have destroyed the district and taken much of its athletics down with it.

Good luck to whoever gets this one. It will be a lot of hard work and frustration. Some day, it could be a great job.

Guest workinprogress

Why wouldnt Abner want this? Glencliff or CR ???? He would be crazy not to want it.