Cane Ridge

Croach

Ask yourself one question: Would any of the coaches being tossed around be hired by one of the 5A mid-state schools or D2 Super 7 Schools as their head coach? Why not seek out the best coach in the USA and go after them? If the man can't win and go deep into the playoffs at his present school why would Cane Ridge want to hire them?

The answer to your first question is yes,they could coach at the schools mentioned. You think Daniel McGugin ,Ricky Bowers, Aydelott, Blade, BA coach, and others are winning because they are better coaches? My question to you is could they win at Glencliff, Hillwood, Red Boiling Springs? Probably not, and yes alot of coaches could win at the 5A powers and the D2 super seven. But we will never know. Is is not amazing that when teams win they seem to have great players. Name one coach who has won without players.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Abner had the sweet set up at Hunter's Lane and left to go back to Glencliff. What was that about? They probably have as much talent as anybody in Metro. Why leave that job? Anybody remember how they did that year?

Abner left to go back to Glencliff, a school he really liked and where his friends were. The year Abner was at HL. they went 5-6 , losing in the first round of the playoffs to Brentwood,who won the state championship, 12-7.

Coach,

You're one of the best candidates out there. The absolute best candidate would probably be coaching about 1.4 miles away, but that might be career suicide for Mike Woodward to make that move (even though I think CRHS may end up being a better job long-term than AHS). What about Steve Carson down at Smyrna? He's a guy that is 8 minutes down I-24 and has paid his dues and won big as an assistant. Eric Felts is a natural fit at that place, due to his AHS ties, if he would want it. I'd take either Deadman or Jennings off of Wilson Central's staff, those guys have played good defense for several years. Chad Kirby at Ravenwood is going to be a great head coach for somebody soon, why not ten minutes away at CRHS. I've already thrown out the Terry Anderson setting things up and handing the baton to Trent angle 3-4 years down the road, but there may be some nepotism laws against that, I don't know. But I think Trent could be a good one soon.

I really think the Cane Ridge job is one of those that might be that perfect job, if set up correctly. The economics and zoning are favorable. The neighborhood is growing rapidly west of I-24 and south of Bell. And CR is probably not going to have some of the issues that AHS has. I look at this as a quasi-Metro job. Yeah, its a Metro job, but its probably closer, socially, to Ravenwood and LaVergne, its two connecting zones other than AHS. Just my opinion.

I am not sure about those other guys, but Brad Dedman is an excellent coach.

Abner left to go back to Glencliff, a school he really liked and where his friends were. The year Abner was at HL. they went 5-6 , losing in the first round of the playoffs to Brentwood,who won the state championship, 12-7.

Also, right after he went back to Glencliff the zoning was changed and the area that gave them all their athletes and took them to the state championship game was rezoned to Hillsboro. Funny how that was right about the time that Hillsboro began their big run.......................................... /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Like fb247 said earlier. Winning with great players is a lot easier than making chicken salad from chicken sh11. /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" /> Abner will do a good job.

Ask old Batmanwasatreehugger about that. It is easy to talk smack when you are playing 1A with several D1 level players. 5A is a different world.

If a coach wants a real challenge, take on a magnet school starting a football program. Might just happen sooner than you think. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Also, right after he went back to Glencliff the zoning was changed and the area that gave them all their athletes and took them to the state championship game was rezoned to Hillsboro. Funny how that was right about the time that Hillsboro began their big run.......................................... /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Like fb247 said earlier. Winning with great players is a lot easier than making chicken salad from chicken sh11. /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" /> Abner will do a good job.

Ask old Batmanwasatreehugger about that. It is easy to talk smack when you are playing 1A with several D1 level players. 5A is a different world.

If a coach wants a real challenge, take on a magnet school starting a football program. Might just happen sooner than you think. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

What magnet school is starting a football team?

Tell Billy I will come and coach the new team at East Lit.

Ask yourself one question: Would any of the coaches being tossed around be hired by one of the 5A mid-state schools or D2 Super 7 Schools as their head coach? Why not seek out the best coach in the USA and go after them? If the man can't win and go deep into the playoffs at his present school why would Cane Ridge want to hire them?

The #1 reason why they could not get that type coach is because those guys usually don't have to teach any classes where they are whereas a Metro coach will teach five classes everyday.

#2 You will be trying to start a program on a shoestring budget. You do not have any gate receipts from ballgames the previous year to fund your budget and Metro does not give it to you. You can petition the Titans for some, but they have already given out the money they have for this type thing for this year. Maybe next year. This means that you will be raising money just to try to get your field in shape for games, much less all the equipment you will need including the weight room. Nununu, remember how pitiful the Antioch weight room was until two or three years ago?

#3 Until you have experienced just one day in an inner-city school you cannot possibly understand the SSDD mantra.

Your teaching job lasts for 201 days a year. Football is only about 75 of those days. The other 126 will be the deciding factor for your sanity.

This job could be a good one in a few years, but the growing pains before that will not be for the faint of heart.

Tell Billy I will come and coach the new team at East Lit.

Does that mean we will get a discount on furniture or lunch trays? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Seriously, I would love to have you around. Securing the financing is the first step, however.

Stop by sometime.

Guest workinprogress

The #1 reason why they could not get that type coach is because those guys usually don't have to teach any classes where they are whereas a Metro coach will teach five classes everyday.

#2 You will be trying to start a program on a shoestring budget. You do not have any gate receipts from ballgames the previous year to fund your budget and Metro does not give it to you. You can petition the Titans for some, but they have already given out the money they have for this type thing for this year. Maybe next year. This means that you will be raising money just to try to get your field in shape for games, much less all the equipment you will need including the weight room. Nununu, remember how pitiful the Antioch weight room was until two or three years ago?

#3 Until you have experienced just one day in an inner-city school you cannot possibly understand the SSDD mantra.

Your teaching job lasts for 201 days a year. Football is only about 75 of those days. The other 126 will be the deciding factor for your sanity.

This job could be a good one in a few years, but the growing pains before that will not be for the faint of heart.

BC what is this whole SSDD five down five across stuff you and run the ball are talking about.

Runtheball you going to any games tonight? When are you going to start working on Dad.

BC what is this whole SSDD five down five across stuff you and run the ball are talking about.

Runtheball you going to any games tonight? When are you going to start working on Dad.

To understand SSDD, you must make a lifetime committment to study and learn, grasshopper. /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

You must become one with the poo. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

I was born into the SSDD cult in 1967. I have been nurtered in its goodness for 40 years in some form or another. Luckily it remains quite the same as it was back then. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> Hence SSDD

You have to put in a few more years in metro to truly understand the SSDD stuff. Great athletes can make coaches look better than they are. This is obvious. Look at the Univ. of Miami in Fla. They have tremendous talent don't they? Yet they were embarassed the other night by a less talented Virginia team with less athletes. Discipline and an administration that is truly supportive is crucial to a teams on the field success. Fast athletes can often go the wrong way very quickly and get you beat. MBA, Lipscomb and Maryville usually beat teams with better athletes each and every week. A magnet school football team in Metro would be quite humorous unless Hume-Fogg, East Lit, MLK, and NSA all played for the same team and they still would be terrible imo.