Spring Fling Vote

ERA

Murfreesboro get my vote. No field of dreams but a good facility at MTSU for the finals. Hotel rates will be out of site in Memphis and it's really not softball country there although soccer and baseball in the area are strong. The spring fling should be "central" for east and west team travel logistics. Chattanooga spring flings hold a lot of fond memories for me personally and I really hate not going there. But hey we spend half of our summers there don't we.

As far as safety goes I've made the wrong turn in Chattanooga plenty of times and ended up in areas I wasn't comfortable in. I went to school in Memphis for two years and never had any trouble except for a stabing outside of my dorm window and a few sexual assaults on campus, slit tires and stolen car but hey those things happen. The Boro is a great place by me.

I understand wishful thinking, but did Murfreesboro

even submit a bid? It would be a good location if they

want it. They do a good job in most of these events

such as basketball and football, so they could do a

good job with the Fling if they wanted it and if they could beat the big money bids of Nashville and Memphis.

Murfreesboro or Nashville would be good for the location, but I don't think one area should have football, girls and boys basketball and the spring sports. Memphis is just too far out of the way, if you don't think so, what if it had been awarded to Bristol? Same thing. Someone else, don't remember if its on this thread, compared Chattanooga to Memphis since "they are both in a corner of the state" but there's a difference in being in a corner and being on the end.

The more I read different articles and opinions it seems to me that the following scenario is the most likely. There is no "insider" message here. Just theory:

Once the Spring Fling was put up for bids it was going to come down, primarily, to a business decision. How else could it play out? Even if I wanted the Fling in Nashville, for example, I have to let other cities bid. Once I do I've got to take the best bid.

If I look through the bids and see that Nashville is 2nd or 3rd, how do I justify giving it to them? I have to give the bid to the city with the best bid. I might want Chattanooga to have it but, if that is the case, why did I allow bids in the first place?

Then you say, "Well, Memphis is too far." At that point it doesn't matter. Memphis is the same place after the bids as it was when I allowed them to bid.

Once the bid process was allowed then the only option was to give the Fling to the city with the best bid. Period.

It would seem that, if the travel is to be kept to a minimum in the future, that the bids should be limited to Middle Tennessee cities or some type of east-west geographic limits. But, it has to be done prior to the bidding process, not afterwards.

Guest BigTimeBaller

Harriman gets my vote. They have excellent facilities down at Flower Mill Flats to host the Softball. And baseball can be held at South Harriman, Track at the HHS Track. Soccer on the football field, and tennis at the HHS courts.