FCS @ South Pitt

busted knuckles

Yea, he needs a lot of peanut butter /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> ...and a year in the weight room.

Just wait till this week....SP and Red Bank are the onll area teams (except one in GA I think) that are still playing and Red Bank is at Maryville. There will be a lot of new faces this week

Old Pirate says Zone, the game Friday between Gville and SP should have "many" fence jumpers in attendance. Some from up the road and a few from Ala. "What could have been" thoughts come to mind.

Well, that's alright, like they say, "there is price to pay for all things".

SP should be rocking come Friday night, wish it was tonight. Wow, I've got to quit wishing my life away. I'm old enough.

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Old Pirate says, Possumtowner, anyone who watched that game that has any football knowledge could see the dogs called off. The passing game has been the Pirates weakest plays. OP says "anyone" who would stop and think about it???????????????? what is a team to do when the mercy rule is in effect, "run some of your weakest plays". Most people think SP "can't throw the ball, well that thought was erased by anyone who witnessed the game. Running the ball outside would probably produced more... and running inside is flirting with injury from the probable contact coming from all directions. OP says some folks must think a team should take a knee on 1st & 2nd down and then punt on 3rd down.

Old Pirate says these SP seniors have worked through tough times. Former players should know every senior wants to play the majority of the game and soak up as much as possible. Heck, they'll be just another old pirate come fall.

OP says folks sometimes say things, that they wish they hadn't said. That's just life.

Congrats to FCS on a fine season and good luck down the road.

First of all, congrats to SP on what appears to be a season to remember and one for the record books. They can just keep shuffling in the backs and have plenty of depth there. The pirates seem to have a very fine team and as I was standing there, I found myself cheering for them as well. I even envisioned my son maybe wearing the orange and black one day, and that is tough being a proud marion supporter. I might also add that I think I have quite a bit of football knowledge and what I saw towards the end of that game was anything but calling off the dogs. Surley, old pirate, you don't expect anyone to believe that vic called them off. You don't call off the dogs by passing the ball late in the game, whether it is your supposed weak point or not. You don't call them off by running your weaker plays, you call them off by putting in your young kids or kids who don't get to play the position very much. Then you still run the same plays and try to score and it doesn't look that bad. You don't leave your number one QB and RB in there the whole game. I know that the number two qb didn't dress out, but the millard kid that took the last snap probably would have loved to get some game action in the playoffs besides that last snap. There were plenty of kids out there that didn't get a chance to play at all that could have been played. The seniors deserve to play in many of their last year playing football, but that is also how they can get hurt and it can turn a season around quickly. Luckily, the frendship coach had enough class not to try to send someone in to hurt one of them. I can't say I would have had the same class. It also doesn't matter what a coach might have done last year, show that you have more class than him and a better program by playing the young kids in the game.

First of all, congrats to SP on what appears to be a season to remember and one for the record books. They can just keep shuffling in the backs and have plenty of depth there. The pirates seem to have a very fine team and as I was standing there, I found myself cheering for them as well. I even envisioned my son maybe wearing the orange and black one day, and that is tough being a proud marion supporter. I might also add that I think I have quite a bit of football knowledge and what I saw towards the end of that game was anything but calling off the dogs. Surley, old pirate, you don't expect anyone to believe that vic called them off. You don't call off the dogs by passing the ball late in the game, whether it is your supposed weak point or not. You don't call them off by running your weaker plays, you call them off by putting in your young kids or kids who don't get to play the position very much. Then you still run the same plays and try to score and it doesn't look that bad. You don't leave your number one QB and RB in there the whole game. I know that the number two qb didn't dress out, but the millard kid that took the last snap probably would have loved to get some game action in the playoffs besides that last snap. There were plenty of kids out there that didn't get a chance to play at all that could have been played. The seniors deserve to play in many of their last year playing football, but that is also how they can get hurt and it can turn a season around quickly. Luckily, the frendship coach had enough class not to try to send someone in to hurt one of them. I can't say I would have had the same class. It also doesn't matter what a coach might have done last year, show that you have more class than him and a better program by playing the young kids in the game.

Old Pirate says one believes what they choose to believe. After the fumble recovery on the FCS 19 yd line it was obvious FCS sent their 1st team defense into the game. OP talked with a few players today, some starters and some not. The coaches apparently chose not to send in the JV with FCS's defensive starters still in the game.

Surely, if the truth prevails in you, then you observed the milking of the clock by the SP coaching staff.

OP says you being a jasper fan then you certainly remember KC leaving his starters in late after the game had been decided and throwing a long TD pass against the Pirates. That's just tough for your team if they allow them to it.

OP has never been 1 to object to that type of play. Heck, Bibbs #1 was hurt playing against Copper Basin after the game had been decided by the end of the 1st quarter. Sorry, but OP just doesn't agree with you and that's fine.

A football game is similar to a boxing match scheduled for 15 rounds. If the boxer's corner sees their man has had enough then they have an option to throw in the towell. It is OP's view that if FCS had thrown in the towell (sent in sub's) then SP would have sent in subs sooner.

Old Pirate has 1 question for you TTP, could SP have scored more late in the game?????????????

34 pts the 1st half and 14 2nd half???? come on.... give them some credit. Could they have scored more........

That is something everyone knows. So yes the dogs were called off.

I wasn't at this game (since I was in G'ville watching my own kid against Lookout Valley) - but I have an opinion about teams running up the score. All one has to do is look at both FCS and S.Pitt and their records all year - clearly these teams run up the score every chance they get. Builds the intimidation factor down the road. No sympathy for my green sweater vested friends - c'mon, you guys spanked grace and never called off the dogs. Should we expect S.Pitt to do it to you?

That being said, I do think that coaches should let some of the younger kids play when it is OBVIOUS that the outcome is settled. I thought that when my was second string, and still think it even now that my son is a starter. Why risk the injury? Why put the exclamation point on the end of the game? Because you can.

Congrats on a fine season to FCS - I have nothing but respect for you guys. (And your concessions are the BEST in region 4 - bar nonef!)

And congrats to S. Pitt. - I look forward to this Friday. Don't think you'll get to run the score up on us....at least I certainly hope not. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

I wasn't at this game (since I was in G'ville watching my own kid against Lookout Valley) - but I have an opinion about teams running up the score. All one has to do is look at both FCS and S.Pitt and their records all year - clearly these teams run up the score every chance they get. Builds the intimidation factor down the road. No sympathy for my green sweater vested friends - c'mon, you guys spanked grace and never called off the dogs. Should we expect S.Pitt to do it to you?

That being said, I do think that coaches should let some of the younger kids play when it is OBVIOUS that the outcome is settled. I thought that when my was second string, and still think it even now that my son is a starter. Why risk the injury? Why put the exclamation point on the end of the game? Because you can.

Congrats on a fine season to FCS - I have nothing but respect for you guys. (And your concessions are the BEST in region 4 - bar nonef!)

And congrats to S. Pitt. - I look forward to this Friday. Don't think you'll get to run the score up on us....at least I certainly hope not. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Old Pirate has 2 questions for you. You stated your son was a starter now...... that being the case as a senior (?)closing in on his high school career. (1) "Do you" think "he" would want to come out at the half,3rd qtr,4th qtr or at all?

(2) Would you have as a dad feel slighty cheated/saddened/bothered or any number of different feelings regarding his playing time. You knowing how hard he has worked and wanting to play every snap. Come on, there is another side of the coin. Perhaps it hasn't happened to you and possibly it will never happen. Sometime ask your son if he enjoys coming out of a game at any point. Then again ask him when the end of the road draws near!

You guys that continuely give chatter about running up the score and playing the young kids sometimes don't see or invision the "whole" picture.

OP agrees the younger players need to play for experience and team over all moral, but sometimes you should attempt to view a different angle.

Old Pirate says after re-reading this post and thinking about it's content. It suddenly became clear to me the seniors for FCS didn't want to come out either at the end of the game even though they were helpless to change their fate as walking off the field for the last time as a Commander player. Guys, it's sometimes tough to see different angles to situations. OP will leave you with 1 lingering question. Who/which players deserved to finish the game the "most" for FCS??????????????????????????????????????

Old Pirate has 2 questions for you. You stated your son was a starter now...... that being the case as a senior (?)closing in on his high school career. (1) "Do you" think "he" would want to come out at the half,3rd qtr,4th qtr or at all?

(2) Would you have as a dad feel slighty cheated/saddened/bothered or any number of different feelings regarding his playing time. You knowing how hard he has worked and wanting to play every snap. Come on, there is another side of the coin. Perhaps it hasn't happened to you and possibly it will never happen. Sometime ask your son if he enjoys coming out of a game at any point. Then again ask him when the end of the road draws near!

You guys that continuely give chatter about running up the score and playing the young kids sometimes don't see or invision the "whole" picture.

OP agrees the younger players need to play for experience and team over all moral, but sometimes you should attempt to view a different angle.

Old Pirate says after re-reading this post and thinking about it's content. It suddenly became clear to me the seniors for FCS didn't want to come out either at the end of the game even though they were helpless to change their fate as walking off the field for the last time as a Commander player. Guys, it's sometimes tough to see different angles to situations. OP will leave you with 1 lingering question. Who/which players deserved to finish the game the "most" for FCS??????????????????????????????????????

This debate has been around longer than helmets, and will likely not ever be agreed on.

I'll have to agree with Old Pirate here. It's always been my thought that it's the defense's

job to stop the scoring. The only down side to this is the possibility of getting a starter injured.

That decision is up to the coach for his own reasons. Just sitting here watching the Patriots &

Bills. They were discussing this same situation...they said the same thing.

Bottom line is I guess, to each his own. Just MHO.

It never ceases to amaze me how people who weren't even at the game put ignorant stuff on these posts...... the 2nd and 3rd bunch of guys ABSOLUTELY DID start appearing on the field starting in the 3rd (early) quarter against Grace.

To say FC never called off the dogs is MORONIC...scores by Music (3rd TB).....Molander(3rd QB) and yes 2nd QB was available......don't even think a first stringer even scored the whole second half

PLEASE be more specific on the other times FC ran the score up.......or were you not there either....the facts are FC DID pull the dogs off early and the 2nd and 3rd bangers scorded on some other teams

Guys like you put stuff on here and if somebody doesn't call you on it everybody believes it /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

DTRUTH called you on this one /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

My son is a junior - and no, he would prefer to play every down offense and defense. Who wouldn't? When I played at Antioch back in 79-82 I was the same way. But to your second question, I don 't think I would feel cheated if some of the other kids got to play. I remember what it was like as the parent of a freshman and a sophomore. It's still pretty fresh in my memory. I wanted my kid in there. Coach Dillard was pretty good to do it to.

Just asked my son, and he agrees - he would like to stay in there the whole time. This is what I figured.

In regards to some of the other vitriolic posts: I prefaced my comments by saying I was NOT at the game, but I can read a stat sheet. I also stated that it was an opinion. And you know what they say about opinions. They're like armpits....everbody's got a couple and sometimes they stink.

I didn't mean to get anybody riled up...(DTRUTH) apparently this is a sensitive subject, especially to the folks from FCS who are still stinging from the butt whooping (both from S.Pitt & G-ville). /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

After reading the post concerning Vic leaving the starters in and not calling the dogs off sort of speak, I found myself thinking back to last year and then to an interview with a local radio station or newspaper article before a game this year. My thoughts last year were just as some of those who say he should have pulled the starters because the younger kids need experience and one shouldn't run up the score. I was very vocal about that last season and very dissapointed. But before anyone gets excited, as I remembered the interview with one of the coach's about why one would leave the starters in the game his response was simply this South Pittsburg's players are pretty much blowing every game wide open early. If the starters are pulled out and not given the oppurtunity to play a complete game then what happens when they get to the playoffs where they will meet teams like TC and FCS and GV. A prime example South Pittsburg had to play all four quarters with TC because they just kept coming. (GOOD JOB TC) And anyone can say what they want; the Orange and Black was tired by the time the fourth quarter and not used to that because they only had a couple games this season that required them to play hard all four quaters. The only games last season were the Temple and Gordonsviille games. So I am not sure I accept the whole its my senior year thing (whether you are a senior or freshman one would think we teach our kids that we should every now and then take one for the team becasue remember its not about me its about us. The objective is for the team to win not for the team to lose just so Billy Bob who is a senior gets to play))_but I think as I have pondered on this it only makes sense that one can't run a 20 mile marathon as efficent as the 5 mile marathon he or she has trained every week for. I am a Pirate fan and will always be. Better luck next Year FCS, Now its time to put the tiger in the cage.

After reading the post concerning Vic leaving the starters in and not calling the dogs off sort of speak, I found myself thinking back to last year and then to an interview with a local radio station or newspaper article before a game this year. My thoughts last year were just as some of those who say he should have pulled the starters because the younger kids need experience and one shouldn't run up the score. I was very vocal about that last season and very dissapointed. But before anyone gets excited, as I remembered the interview with one of the coach's about why one would leave the starters in the game his response was simply this South Pittsburg's players are pretty much blowing every game wide open early. If the starters are pulled out and not given the oppurtunity to play a complete game then what happens when they get to the playoffs where they will meet teams like TC and FCS and GV. A prime example South Pittsburg had to play all four quarters with TC because they just kept coming. (GOOD JOB TC) And anyone can say what they want; the Orange and Black was tired by the time the fourth quarter and not used to that because they only had a couple games this season that required them to play hard all four quaters. The only games last season were the Temple and Gordonsviille games. So I am not sure I accept the whole its my senior year thing (whether you are a senior or freshman one would think we teach our kids that we should every now and then take one for the team becasue remember its not about me its about us. The objective is for the team to win not for the team to lose just so Billy Bob who is a senior gets to play))_but I think as I have pondered on this it only makes sense that one can't run a 20 mile marathon as efficent as the 5 mile marathon he or she has trained every week for. I am a Pirate fan and will always be. Better luck next Year FCS, Now its time to put the tiger in the cage.

I can agree with some of your logic here. (about having the starters ready when they do face a tougher challenge) And you got that right about Trousdale County - they are one tenacious bunch.

My son is a junior - and no, he would prefer to play every down offense and defense. Who wouldn't? When I played at Antioch back in 79-82 I was the same way. But to your second question, I don 't think I would feel cheated if some of the other kids got to play. I remember what it was like as the parent of a freshman and a sophomore. It's still pretty fresh in my memory. I wanted my kid in there. Coach Dillard was pretty good to do it to.

Just asked my son, and he agrees - he would like to stay in there the whole time. This is what I figured.

In regards to some of the other vitriolic posts: I prefaced my comments by saying I was NOT at the game, but I can read a stat sheet. I also stated that it was an opinion. And you know what they say about opinions. They're like armpits....everbody's got a couple and sometimes they stink.

I didn't mean to get anybody riled up...(DTRUTH) apparently this is a sensitive subject, especially to the folks from FCS who are still stinging from the butt whooping (both from S.Pitt & G-ville). /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Yep there you go....a butt whooping...I knew it was coming......guys like you create the "vitriolic" posts with your MORONIC stats and preface them with phrases like "Oh i wasn't there' or "opinions are like armpits" where's the "private schools recruit" stuff....can't wait for that one.

Although I will still hope Region 4 wins it will not be so bad when I see YOUR posts after S Pitt rolls thru....wonder how many would be for FC if the tables were turned? We all know the answer to that one

On that last note I will fold and retire my sweater vest till basketball season

DTRUTH knows your pain /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />