Knox Halls @ Red Bank

Pirateman894

First of all the Reese Kelly article was well done by Jesse Smithy. Before the injury everyone felt he would have been the feature back this year. A great comeback from a great kid.

FBEmeritus I think the Halls group is into the reverse psychology bit that I don't buy. It is humourous but even though we had a tough defensive outing last week they will be the difference this week and I hope they will turn the game in our favor.

I'm not a big fan of the wing-t with the speed we have had this year but it has served us well. Coach J is a big disciple of this offense so for the immediate future no matter what anyone says it will be here to stay. I don't think we can start the ball control bit untill the second half or all will be lost. I hope we can score early on Red Bank so we won't be facing a uphill battle on the scoreboard for most of the night. We have been strong in the fourth quarter these past five games but we are living on the line. Still our guys do know how to finish a game and that is something most teams don't know how to do.

I still feel Halls has a better chance this year than they have in the past. These young kids know how to win and haven't compromised this year. Error free game by the Red Devils and they win by a touchdown.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Halls is looking for a mean streak get the girls that played Powell in the powder puff football game Thursday night. It was called with about 30 seconds to play because of a fight that cleared both benches. Powell knocked a couple of Halls girls down, then a Halls gal threw a Powell player down and started punching her. The were billing it as the first annual, I'm guessing it was the last annual.

If Halls is looking for a mean streak get the girls that played Powell in the powder puff football game Thursday night. It was called with about 30 seconds to play because of a fight that cleared both benches. Powell knocked a couple of Halls girls down, then a Halls gal threw a Powell player down and started punching her. The were billing it as the first annual, I'm guessing it was the last annual.

Gee whiz. When I first heard a couple of weeks ago that a powder puff game between Halls and Powell was going to take place I really questioned the wisdom of it happening. Playing it was just asking for trouble. /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

i have not seen RB this year but they are going to have a fight on there hands they better have the chin straps buckled or they will have an early exit. RB fans how does this years team compare to last years?

I hope you're right, matback. If our offense plays like it did against MHS and our defense can limit Red Bank's offensive series, then I like our chances. If not, then it will be a long ride home. Maybe if we suit up the all-star powder puff girls?.... That is funny.

The RB fans have disappeared. Orangeskin, who did you see RB play? RB is in lockdown mode, so we can't get any information out of them.

Everyone's always talking about that wing-T Halls runs, but from the games I've been at this year it seems to me as if they might be in that base wing-T look 30-40% of the time, if that. How many of the traditional wing-T plays does Halls run? I know Webb pretty much runs the crossbuck, fb trap and waggle it seems, but I don't really see a whole lot of that out of Halls. Seems to me as if Halls might be more of a power team than the deceptive looks a defense would get from the traditional wing-T and hiding the football like Webb and Catholic. Last Friday night it seemed as if Halls ran a different play every play. Maybe they were the same play and just out of a different formation, i don't know. I do remember seeing them in a pro set, twins set, some double wing shotgun set(whatever you call that), in that ol' wing-T set, the mirror set and maybe even trips. I can't really remember all they did, but they were in a lot of different formations it seemed. Heck, I think they even got into the power I there late in the game. I know that's probably only about half the formations they used the other night and who knows what all the different looking plays were. So, with that being said, that's a lot to try and prepare for as an opposing team. And with all the different ways they can get the ball to their play makers I would look for Halls to score quite a few points. They did put up 30 on Maryville 3 weeks ago. The question becomes as to whether Halls can defend the pass of Red Bank. I saw in the paper today that Red Bank has a receiver who's caught over 1500 yards worth of passes for like 14 or 15 TDs. That kid could be the difference in the game.

Everyone's always talking about that wing-T Halls runs, but from the games I've been at this year it seems to me as if they might be in that base wing-T look 30-40% of the time, if that. How many of the traditional wing-T plays does Halls run? I know Webb pretty much runs the crossbuck, fb trap and waggle it seems, but I don't really see a whole lot of that out of Halls. Seems to me as if Halls might be more of a power team than the deceptive looks a defense would get from the traditional wing-T and hiding the football like Webb and Catholic. Last Friday night it seemed as if Halls ran a different play every play. Maybe they were the same play and just out of a different formation, i don't know. I do remember seeing them in a pro set, twins set, some double wing shotgun set(whatever you call that), in that ol' wing-T set, the mirror set and maybe even trips. I can't really remember all they did, but they were in a lot of different formations it seemed. Heck, I think they even got into the power I there late in the game. I know that's probably only about half the formations they used the other night and who knows what all the different looking plays were. So, with that being said, that's a lot to try and prepare for as an opposing team. And with all the different ways they can get the ball to their play makers I would look for Halls to score quite a few points. They did put up 30 on Maryville 3 weeks ago. The question becomes as to whether Halls can defend the pass of Red Bank. I saw in the paper today that Red Bank has a receiver who's caught over 1500 yards worth of passes for like 14 or 15 TDs. That kid could be the difference in the game.

That WR is Tim Benford, and he is all that he is advertised to be. Benford has great speed, he catches the ball well, and he sees the field well and knows when to make a cut. Red Bank will not only throw to him, but they will also hand the ball to him on runs when he goes in motion, much like Maryville did with Tyler Maples.

You can't concentrate on just covering Benford, however. The other receiver, Dominique McDuffie, had about 700 receiving yards, himself, this year. He is more the deep burner, from what I've seen over the last two years from Red Bank.

The QB, Jake Ledbetter, is a good quarterback. He's not the biggest, fastest, or best athlete Halls has seen at quarterback this year, but he gets his team in the right play and doesn't seem to make many bad decisions.

The best player on the Red Bank team, in my opinion, is FB/LB Tracy Simms. He is a load at the fullback spot and is elusive and can really run for a guy with his size (Red Bank doesn't list height/weight on their roster, but I would guess that Sims is about 6'1" and 230) and he is an outstanding linebacker.

Where I see the biggest difference in Red Bank between this year and last is that this year's defense isn't quite as dominate as it was a year ago. Last year they shut out 5 of the 10 regular season opponents and gave up very few points. They didn't look as good on that side of the ball last week as they did last year when I saw them. They seemed to tire in the second half last week against Powell, as well. That was part of the reason that Powell was able to come back on them in the second half. Red Bank plays a lot of players both ways while Powell played only a handful both ways. Red Bank seemed to lose their legs as the game went on.

Like I've said, I give Red Bank the edge, primarily because the game is being played at Red Bank Community Stadium. It wouldn't surprise me, however, to see Halls get the win.

I hope you're right, matback. If our offense plays like it did against MHS and our defense can limit Red Bank's offensive series, then I like our chances. If not, then it will be a long ride home. Maybe if we suit up the all-star powder puff girls?.... That is funny.

The RB fans have disappeared. Orangeskin, who did you see RB play? RB is in lockdown mode, so we can't get any information out of them.

you know we had a powder puff game between the sophs& juniors vs the seniors when i was in school and ended up with a fight and a broken jaw so as fun as this sounds in the planning stages i think it would be best to forgo theese games unless you want to put pads on them.

HaveitYourWay -

- I agree about the sluggish start last week. However, I believe it had more to do with all the injuries/sicknesses that we had on our football team. I felt any win (under those circumstances) was exciting! Got to credit coaches for covering up everything.

- How do we look on the injury front?? I hear Turner is getting back close to 100%, and Kitts is getting better everyday. Gresham's ankle looks to be close to healed, and Cottrell's arm is healing. I expect all the sick players will be well this weak (always a chance this time of year that anyone can get sick).

- What's scary is to think about all we had to overcome last week and still win. Does this mean that we will beat Red Bank? Not really, but with everyone getting better I know the product we but on the field this week will be much better than the previous two due to the injuries.

- I agree with most that Red Bank and Maryville will be a good game next week. I just wonder if Red Bank is getting a little scared about now or are they starting to get excited? It's only a week away!

I agree whole heartedly that Red Bank wants a shot at Maryville. You know that has to have been a major motivation for them all season! How could it not be after last year! Could it be that last week's game with Powell was like last year's Maryville-Brainard game and doesn't really give us a true picture of Red Bank. I feel last week's game could have helped Red Bank (wake up call).

Halls is the real deal! I love their explosiveness and "can do" attitude. I just don't know if they have the defense (I believe they need) to stay in the play-offs. I'm also concerned about some of the lack of discipline penalties I saw Halls make in the Maryville game (6-60yds.)! Could be tough to hold on to a cold ball tonight! Look for some turnovers.

Red Bank record over the past two year's shows they are a quality program. Remember, the only team they've lost to is Maryville! I believe they are a better team than last week's showing. If they can throw the ball when they need too and run enough to control the clock, the advantage goes to Red Bank. Halls is going to score!! The question is can Red Bank slow them down enough to control how much and how quickly they score!!

Warning to Red Bank! You need to ask the refs to watch Halls OL holding on the outside, especially when their backs go for the outside corner. They're fast as lightning and all they need is a little time (which the holding gives them) to get to the corner and there gone. Watch the film on the last score against Maryville!

I love the heart of the Hall's players, they never quit! Like a snake, you can cut their head off and they will still try to bite you.

All this said, Halls represents Region 3 well. They can beat Red Bank! But defensive vulnerabilities, some youth, lack of discipline at times and home field advantage gives Red Bank the edge! My hearts in Region 3. This should be a good game! May the most deserving team win!