Warren Co. Season

Nitro14

A fair shot? You mean by firing his defensive co-ordinator after his first year on the job? Or firing his head freshman coach the next year? Or by getting into a power struggle with him on who should delegate roles on his staff the year after that?

And define expert. A coach that won a couple of NC's in college running virtually the same system the high school runs now? Another coach who played on a school-record setting offense in college? Or another one who is one of, if not the, best teacher in the county? Or one who is probably the most impressive young all-around coach in the area? Let's see, check, check, check, and check.

i'm not trying to ruffle any feathers,i think i did i support the staff very much. but when you taking a coaching job you have to take the kick in the behind as much as you take a pat on the back. so you say the coaching staff is in check. so it must be the players then. let me ask you this so i can learn a few things. in the last lets say ten years what coach has lasted the longest.(thats how long I,ve been here) and how long do you ride a coach out. in most areas if your not above 500 hundred theres turnover. on this board theres other coaches mentioned that people would like to see here. its that persons opinion that they would help or be better. my opinion is that theres all ways somebody better.. i'm lost on who the coach that won a couple of NC's lsu runs a spread, fla doesnt run it so help me out? if we don't ask questions to be people that know more than you you don't learn or get better

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm not trying to ruffle any feathers,i think i did i support the staff very much. but when you taking a coaching job you have to take the kick in the behind as much as you take a pat on the back. so you say the coaching staff is in check. so it must be the players then. let me ask you this so i can learn a few things. in the last lets say ten years what coach has lasted the longest.(thats how long I,ve been here) and how long do you ride a coach out. in most areas if your not above 500 hundred theres turnover. on this board theres other coaches mentioned that people would like to see here. its that persons opinion that they would help or be better. my opinion is that theres all ways somebody better.. i'm lost on who the coach that won a couple of NC's lsu runs a spread, fla doesnt run it so help me out? if we don't ask questions to be people that know more than you you don't learn or get better

As I have stated in a earlier post, WE DO NOT HAVE a coach in any sport at WCHS, that is a true difference maker on the sideline, courtside, or baseline. Please, don't get me wrong, I do believe all our coaches are doing the best they know how, in every sport. But, the facts are, we do not have a head coach or assistant coach in any sport, that could land a 3aaa job elsewhere. The last true differnce maker's at WCHS were coach Luna, and coach Kiel along with Ricky Morris (Who is now at Franklin County and will turn them into a power in a couple of years). I want to wish all pioneer players and coaches the best, and to encourage everyone to work extremely hard over the summer and make all Warren Countians proud this fall, come football time.

I wish the powers that be would leave the football program alone and look more closer at the basketball programs..They seem to be in alot worse shape than football. Before anyone says anything YES I know that the basketball programs are in a "tough" bracket. But come on.....surely something could be done......

The powers that be aren't going to say anything about basketball. The girl's head coach is ths AD's sister and Ryan is trying to a good job at the high school but he has a system and the middle school coach let's her boys basically play civic center ball, so they have a hard time playing as a team. Also warren county is not big enough for kids to be told to concentrate on one sport. When you talk a 14 year old kid into quitting the ms baseball team so he can play on your AAU bb team it just ain't right. But again nothing will be done because of who the bb coach is.

Yes you gotta have thick skin as a coach. But no, it's not the players. Some of my best friends are on that staff, but they know me well enough that I'll put it on them well before I'll ever talk about the players.

How long do you ride a coach out? Depends on a few things, imo. One is where did he start from. We were in the middle of a 39 game losing streak. That takes more than a year or two to get turned around. Don't forget that it was just 2 and a half years ago the goalposts were torn down because of this staff. And all of a sudden they're not qualified to some people? They've made the playoffs 3 straight years and that's never been done so it's not like the program is still in the crapper. Yeah that's 3 playoff losses, but if you look past the scoreboard (which you have to do sometimes, even tho it stinks as a fan) progress has been made in each of those showings.

I agree the grass is always greener. Especially around here. Everybody spends their time looking at who or what we don't have instead of recognizing what we do. They tried to get 'big name' coaches or favorite sons but they couldn't get anybody to take the job for almost twice what they're paying Coach Madewell. It makes me sick to hear some of the things they offered in past job searches to candidates but they haven't done anything above the basic teacher pay/coach supplement for Coach Madewell.

Yes you gotta have thick skin as a coach. But no, it's not the players. Some of my best friends are on that staff, but they know me well enough that I'll put it on them well before I'll ever talk about the players.

How long do you ride a coach out? Depends on a few things, imo. One is where did he start from. We were in the middle of a 39 game losing streak. That takes more than a year or two to get turned around. Don't forget that it was just 2 and a half years ago the goalposts were torn down because of this staff. And all of a sudden they're not qualified to some people? They've made the playoffs 3 straight years and that's never been done so it's not like the program is still in the crapper. Yeah that's 3 playoff losses, but if you look past the scoreboard (which you have to do sometimes, even tho it stinks as a fan) progress has been made in each of those showings.

I agree the grass is always greener. Especially around here. Everybody spends their time looking at who or what we don't have instead of recognizing what we do. They tried to get 'big name' coaches or favorite sons but they couldn't get anybody to take the job for almost twice what they're paying Coach Madewell. It makes me sick to hear some of the things they offered in past job searches to candidates but they haven't done anything above the basic teacher pay/coach supplement for Coach Madewell.

Coach Madewell is paid on 12months not 10 like normal teachers and receives his head coaches supplement and weight trainer's supplement. No coach since Pedro Paz hired Sid Fritz has a coach gotten outside help with pay. The state audits the books and requires all pay to come through payroll accounts. Every time we have had a head football opening, we have contacted Gary Rankin, Carlton Flatt and David Pack. Gary has never been interested in coming back here even though we could get close on his money. Flatt and Pack made well over the 6 figures at their private schools so we had no chance at them. Every other coach has been paid the same as coach Madewell based upon years experience, degrees held, 12 months plus both supplements. The only part of this that the School Board can control is the extra months pay. The Union negotiates the pay and supplements and the County Court is asked to fund it after the School Board sends in the budget with salaries included. Funding raises usually requires tax increases that commissions are afraid to pass since they want to keep their jobs.

Very good post! First off, it's good for the staff to be friends as long as it doesn't interfere with responsibilities and the team. Just as in business, friends or family must do thier job or be repremanded or replaced. You cannot keep someone on board that is not contributing or preventing progress or someone above you will make the call or replace you.

I agree that improvement has been made and I am proud of the players and coaches that weathered the storm. Alot of people say that winning two region games to get to the playoffs is not that big of a deal, but it is better than not making them at all. I think the schedules are a little easier, but adding teams like Ensworth and scrimmages against Oakland and Siegel will help. Where I see improvement is like you said, in the playoffs. Riverdale blowed us out a couple years, but last year the Pioneers gave them all they wanted until some costly turnovers in the second half sealed it for them. I could see and sense a difference in the team from what I had seen throughout the year. The D-Line & Linebackers gave them trouble all night and just about all Riverdale's lineman are moving on to the next level next year. I don't think Riverdale is as powerful as they once were, but we are improving.

On your earlier posts you mentioned about a young coach being one of the best in the area and I believe you were talking about Andy Evans and I couldn't agree more! I was very impressed with him last year. Very firm when he had to be and also gave alot of praise to the players when they played well. He's not one of those coaches who screams and yells all the time without substance and tells the players that the girls softball team is tougher than them, if you know what I mean.

As far as pay, we all know our teachers and coaches deserve more. IT"S TIME WE ALL TRY TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!

The powers that be aren't going to say anything about basketball. The girl's head coach is ths AD's sister and Ryan is trying to a good job at the high school but he has a system and the middle school coach let's her boys basically play civic center ball, so they have a hard time playing as a team. Also warren county is not big enough for kids to be told to concentrate on one sport. When you talk a 14 year old kid into quitting the ms baseball team so he can play on your AAU bb team it just ain't right. But again nothing will be done because of who the bb coach is.

You really have no idea do you? Let me educate you on MS basketball...first off she meets with Ryan and gets the exact plays that he runs and that is what she teaches her boys....second she has NEVER talked any kid into quitting any sport!! NEVER!! She does NOTHING but tries to prepare her boys for the high school she can't help it that when they get to high school they all of the sudden can't win a game!! I would say she would be willing to put her record up against the Smiths or Eades anytime.... her record does not justify being fired like their's do. She puts all her time into coaching (she don't get paid a dime for) has winning teams year after year then you go and say some crap about her like that.....and btw the 14 year old kid you are referring to isn't playing AAU for her he is playing for the Smiths..get your dang facts right before you go dishing a dang good coach that don't deserve the crap she gets!!!

You really have no idea do you? Let me educate you on MS basketball...first off she meets with Ryan and gets the exact plays that he runs and that is what she teaches her boys....second she has NEVER talked any kid into quitting any sport!! NEVER!! She does NOTHING but tries to prepare her boys for the high school she can't help it that when they get to high school they all of the sudden can't win a game!! I would say she would be willing to put her record up against the Smiths or Eades anytime.... her record does not justify being fired like their's do. She puts all her time into coaching (she don't get paid a dime for) has winning teams year after year then you go and say some crap about her like that.....and btw the 14 year old kid you are referring to isn't playing AAU for her he is playing for the Smiths..get your dang facts right before you go dishing a dang good coach that don't deserve the crap she gets!!!

ok then tell me why she has "open gym" starting on the exact day ms football fall practice starts and tells kids that want to play both sports" if you don't show up you won't play or start for me"?i know this happened this pastg year to at least 2 kids one of them the same kid mentioned before and one that could possibly be one of the best tailbacks in wc history. then when the football coach goes to administration he is told "MM can do whatever she wants" a 13-14 year old doesn't understand that if they are the best sthletes she has she'll play because she wants the win.

i don't think coach madewell should be paid like a coach who has winning seasons or championships. i like most of the coaches on staff, i like the way ya'll get along. i try to tell my son not to be the first loser. and thats how i take it around here. you win games in the offseason. this working on tues and thur after school doesn't show dedication to improvement. college and pro go 10 or 11 months out of a year. if it is a rule (tssaa) find a parent to watch or take kids to volunteer. i really belive that most of the parents will back alot of practices. i think thats what ticks alot of parents off. they didn't even workout after school today WHY???????? so now theres a wasted opp unless the kids have parents they make them workout when they get home.

i don't think coach madewell should be paid like a coach who has winning seasons or championships. i like most of the coaches on staff, i like the way ya'll get along. i try to tell my son not to be the first loser. and thats how i take it around here. you win games in the offseason. this working on tues and thur after school doesn't show dedication to improvement. college and pro go 10 or 11 months out of a year. if it is a rule (tssaa) find a parent to watch or take kids to volunteer. i really belive that most of the parents will back alot of practices. i think thats what ticks alot of parents off. they didn't even workout after school today WHY???????? so now theres a wasted opp unless the kids have parents they make them workout when they get home.

I think I'll just stay away from the pay issue from now on. According to frb's post I was under the wrong impression about some things. But that's my fault for believing rumor, and as we all know believing a rumor isn't the hard part around here, it's choosing which rumor to believe /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> .

I have to plead ignorance on the Tues/Thurs after school work. I have no idea what they are doing, didn't know they were even doing anything.

ok then tell me why she has "open gym" starting on the exact day ms football fall practice starts and tells kids that want to play both sports" if you don't show up you won't play or start for me"?i know this happened this pastg year to at least 2 kids one of them the same kid mentioned before and one that could possibly be one of the best tailbacks in wc history. then when the football coach goes to administration he is told "MM can do whatever she wants" a 13-14 year old doesn't understand that if they are the best sthletes she has she'll play because she wants the win.

I can only speak from my experience when my son played for her. He played several sports and she NEVER told him things like this or the other players to my knowledge. She got wind of him acting up in a class one time and had a long talk with him and then called me to let me know that she wouldn't tolerate her players acting like that. She is intense and is a winner. She's made him alot better player and person and I would let him play for her anytime. As far as her team playing Civic Center ball, I disagree with that also. I couldn't count the times I have seen her take players off the court because they didn't run the play or shot a three with another player open etc. She sends a card in the mail every year before FOOTBALL season wishing him the best and was the only coach besides his Jaycee coach Ronnie Talbert to call and check on him after his injury last year.

So I guess it is OK ro teh MS Athletic Director to tell the MS baseball players they cannot play AAU?