Region 1 AAA

MC865

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The teams in this region simply do not match up with the teams they must play. Carter, Seymour, Rutledge and Gibbs are not fast enough or physical enough to stay competitive with Fulton,Catholic, AE, or AC. It is just that simple. Not coaching or scheme, just athletic ability.

After next year when Catholic, AC, and fulton move to 4A maybe it will be better.

All of the teams in Region 1 was in the game until the 4th Quarter and than bigger school have the advantage because of numbers.

I am not totally sold on the idea that the Region 2 teams are that much more a superior group of athletes, I think that there is a little more to consider. First of all, teams like Claiborne, Rutledge(Grainger), and Union have little to no feeder programs...and the one's that do do not play most of the Knoxville teams. This is a huge deal. With no feeder program coaches are forced to teach the fundamentals to Freshmen, instead of building off of the teachings of the little leagues. There are very few Freshmen that come into these schools ready to play varsity. The second thing that must be considered is the fact that Catholic, Fulton, and AE can and have beat about 90% of the teams, regardless of classification, in the state. Fullton and AE have been top tier teams in the state for the past decade, and Catholic is building a program that could be supreme in the state for many years to come thanks to their location and monetary support. My wish is that the Region 1 teams bust tail in the offseason, bring in some new blood at various openings, and come out with fire in the belly next season.

I am not totally sold on the idea that the Region 2 teams are that much more a superior group of athletes, I think that there is a little more to consider. First of all, teams like Claiborne, Rutledge(Grainger), and Union have little to no feeder programs...and the one's that do do not play most of the Knoxville teams. This is a huge deal. With no feeder program coaches are forced to teach the fundamentals to Freshmen, instead of building off of the teachings of the little leagues. There are very few Freshmen that come into these schools ready to play varsity. The second thing that must be considered is the fact that Catholic, Fulton, and AE can and have beat about 90% of the teams, regardless of classification, in the state. Fullton and AE have been top tier teams in the state for the past decade, and Catholic is building a program that could be supreme in the state for many years to come thanks to their location and monetary support. My wish is that the Region 1 teams bust tail in the offseason, bring in some new blood at various openings, and come out with fire in the belly next season.

MineyHaole.

Right on the money regarding the feeder programs. Carter's is OK in terms of #'s, as is Seymour's. Ironic, but the best thing that happened to High School Football in Knox Co. was the decision to eliminate the Middle School football program 10-15 years ago. The first 5 or so yrs. things were pretty rough, but once the coaching got better, and some programs/communities started running the offense and defense that the local High School ran, dramatic improvement was seen at the High School level.

It's not just fundamentals, it's the failiarity with the system that a particular team runs, the players that run it and the coaches that coach it. Fulton's success is no surprise to me. Demarcus Stevens graduates, and Jam Fine steps in. Fine leaves and Rogan steps in. Catholic, same thing. Harrison Smith could'nt get on the field because of Nick McFadden, and then Zach Vann could'nt get on the field because of Smith, and now this Cozart kid gets on the field becuse Vann gets hurt. AE has Troutman last year, and Motgomery this year. They have a Soph, that will light it up next. Watch, and it's the same with Bearden, Farragut, Halls, and a few others.

Now Blount Co. is a whole different story. Not only do they have great feeder programs, but they have gotten some of the best players from Knox. Co as well (Burnette, Douglas, Sommer, Lanxter). I think some of that is slowing though, due to the success of Knox. Co.

ruse?

I agree with all of the above and I would just like to throw out another idea. IMO I think that the ability to get players out of zone has helped region 2 greatly. Fulton can get any player in the county because of the project grad status as well as AE with the Magnet program. Catholic can get anybody from anywhere since they are a private school. If I was a player with a possibility of a future I wouldn't go play at Gibbs, Carter, Seymour, etc. when I could go to the Fultons, AEs and Catholics and get a greater amount of attention. IMO region 1 loses some of its better talent to region 2 and that continues to feed region 2s dominance.

I agree with all of the above and I would just like to throw out another idea. IMO I think that the ability to get players out of zone has helped region 2 greatly. Fulton can get any player in the county because of the project grad status as well as AE with the Magnet program. Catholic can get anybody from anywhere since they are a private school. If I was a player with a possibility of a future I wouldn't go play at Gibbs, Carter, Seymour, etc. when I could go to the Fultons, AEs and Catholics and get a greater amount of attention. IMO region 1 loses some of its better talent to region 2 and that continues to feed region 2s dominance.

Yup, and that's why I made reference to the Blount Co. situation. Gotta change with the times.

ruse?

Right on the money regarding the feeder programs. Carter's is OK in terms of #'s, as is Seymour's. Ironic, but the best thing that happened to High School Football in Knox Co. was the decision to eliminate the Middle School football program 10-15 years ago.

I can't really agree with that statement. I believe that you would see the level of football increase across the board with the reinstatement of middle school football. The feeder programs (neighborhood youth programs) are not usually run like they really should be and coaches don't have the training in terms of practice planning, game planning, running schemes that fit ages, etc. It's nothing worse to me than seeing a youth coach stretch and then start running plays for 2 hours with no individual time for instruction. Also I've seen it a million times, a youth coach trying to conduct practice and there are the parents yelling from the sideline interrupting practice.

As an example, there wasn't middle school football, but I played freshman football as an 8th and 9th grader. I went on to start varsity, both ways, for 3 years, earned some honors, played small college football. I firmly believe that I was prepared as a sophomore because I played 8th & 9th grade years for the same coaches that coached the varsity on Friday night. Ran the same drills, learned the same plays and terminology, etc. Kids today, play 8th grade ball in the youth league for a group of daddies that sometimes aren't the best prepared and then are expected to relearn football to some extent from a totally new set of coaches. I know several head and assistant coaches in the area, and most have told me that the existing situation in Knox County is a hindrance.

Don't get me wrong, I coach and have been an administrator at the youth level and I commend everyone who volunteers. But thats just it, most are volunteers that lead lives outside of their youth program and many times do not have the time or resources to truly build a competitive and teaching environment on the field.

Then there is the parent issue. If kids play under the youth league team then most parents feel that just because I paid money for my child to be on the team then he should play. But if the same child is on a middle school team, that parent is usually more rational in terms of what it takes to be on the team. The culture is not I play because I paid, it's I have to be good to be on the team and earn playing time. In addition, I've seen coaches who coach youth ball play kids "because they paid to play".

Last, I think that what you are seeing is a cycle in terms of talent here in the Knoxville area. I think there are just better athletes right now than there was 10-12 years ago. Knoxville had a surge of talent in the late 70's and early 80's that somewhat dried up in the late 80's-mid 90's.

If I was a player with a possibility of a future I wouldn't go play at Gibbs, Carter, Seymour, etc. when I could go to the Fultons, AEs and Catholics and get a greater amount of attention. IMO region 1 loses some of its better talent to region 2 and that continues to feed region 2s dominance.

Actually, thats part of the problem. When I played, you played where you went to school and were zoned for. Now parents all think their child is going to be the next Peyton Manning, feed their child the same crap, and will move, lie or cheat in order for their child to play high school athletics.

Anyway, just my 2 pennies worth. I just love prep football. What's the best game to see this weekend? I'm leaning toward AE/Catholic.

In response to MC, some of the teams in Region 1 do play some tougher teams. You mentioned Carter already, having played an improved South-Doyle team, Karns, AE, and Bearden. Seymour played the same South-Doyle team, Sevier County, Heritage, and Cocke County...not the toughest of teams, but SD and Sevier aren't terrible. Rutledge played Cherokee, Cosby, South Greene, and Gatlinburg Pittman. GP and Cherokee are pretty good. Gibbs played Cosby, Scott County, South-Doyle, and Halls. If I was ranking the teams by their non-region opponents I would say Carter had the tougher schedule followed by Gibbs. I think that these teams play a relatively tough non-region schedule, but the winning percentage still isn't very good...at least against the tougher of the teams. Carter was 1-3, Seymour 3-1, Rutledge was 3-1, Gibbs 1-3. I don't know the answer, but I think that it is going to take some new ideas and elbow grease to pull this region up with the big boys of Region 2. I think that it can happen, the right moves just need to be made.