Science Hill: What will happen? (off-season thread)

FTBMAN

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cbg, that is probably the best reply I have seen on coacht in a long time.

If he was so wrong for the job, why did SH hire him? That's the purpose of the interview - to reach an agreement that the applicant is the best man for the job and you are the place for him to win games.

Football was broken or you would not have fired Bowles. Even if Smith is the wrong guy, you still lived up to the expectations that were established under Coach Bowles - 5th place. You've got to give a guy enough time to get his guys, working his scheme, in place before you make a judgment. For SH, that's 5 years (8-12 school). You lay the blame on the coach when, in reality, he didn't lay the first hit, throw a block, hit a hole, catch a pass, or hand off the football.

Have you ever stopped to consider that you were just a bad football team? I taught/caoched at Science Hill and some of those kids were great kids and they will grow up to be outstanding, contributing members of society. Some of the kids that have been mentioned as the best of SH have little work ethic, no character, and wouldn't know discipline if it bit them in the butt. They have grown up in peewee league football being told how great they are going to be. No one ever mentioned that hard work that goes into being a winning football team. I can tell you this - football players worked harder under Coach Smith (weight room, conditioning, etc.) than at any point in the last four years.

You just didn't have it. Stop complaining and find out what you have to do to get better. You hired the best coach available to you. Live with it.

I know that you Smith-haters are going to fry me. That's OK, I'm not drinking your Kool-Aid.

No dog in this race really, but I'll say this much: The whole "Coach doesn't make the block or tackle" excuse goes out the window when you consistently go for it on forth and long in untimely situations. I'd say 'Topper fans have legit examples of how coaching cost them close ball games this season. What do I know, though...I played East Tennessee football /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

I believe Daniel Norris will be the starting quarterback for The Hill. The only concern is that baseball comes first for him and that could be a hindrance for his development in the coming season. But, if baseball is his first love then that should come first. There is some good size on the O-line coming up from the freshman class. Will probably need another year to develop before making a real impact on varsity. Unfortunately, I still see some kids, if it works out for them to jump ship and go to another school, to not play for Scott Smith at The Hill. And at least two of them are starters on varsity, not counting Sharp of course. With the offense that Smith "believes" in, I look for another dismal season in '08. I hope I am wrong!

Personally, I think Smith talked his way into the Science Hill job. I think the main reason Smith is getting so much flack is because he came in talking big and loud and full of pride! He kept telling everyone how much he knew about football and what all he was going to do and he quit simply didn't back it up on the field. If he would have came in, kept his head down and said we are going to work hard and do the best we can, it wouldn"t have been so bad. But, when you come in and say, "we should have Sullivan South 40-0 and half time", there's a problem. I agree, Smith is a nice guy but he doesn't belong at Science Hill. Just my opinion on what I saw and heard.

yeah and ihs is glad to be rid of him now.

Personally, I think Smith talked his way into the Science Hill job. I think the main reason Smith is getting so much flack is because he came in talking big and loud and full of pride! He kept telling everyone how much he knew about football and what all he was going to do and he quit simply didn't back it up on the field. If he would have came in, kept his head down and said we are going to work hard and do the best we can, it wouldn"t have been so bad. But, when you come in and say, "we should have Sullivan South 40-0 and half time", there's a problem. I agree, Smith is a nice guy but he doesn't belong at Science Hill. Just my opinion on what I saw and heard.

Did he actually say that? To who?

I believe Daniel Norris will be the starting quarterback for The Hill. The only concern is that baseball comes first for him and that could be a hindrance for his development in the coming season. But, if baseball is his first love then that should come first. There is some good size on the O-line coming up from the freshman class. Will probably need another year to develop before making a real impact on varsity. Unfortunately, I still see some kids, if it works out for them to jump ship and go to another school, to not play for Scott Smith at The Hill. And at least two of them are starters on varsity, not counting Sharp of course. With the offense that Smith "believes" in, I look for another dismal season in '08. I hope I am wrong!

There was some good size on the JV O-Line but as far as I could tell the only freshman player with good size played on defense and he looks like a good prospect to get some playing time. How big are some of these kids coming up that you are talking about?

Overall the size of the OL was smaller than it has been in the past 4 or 5 years, (the tackles had good size but the middle was somewhat undersized compared to the rest of the league).

Would have been nice if Coach Smith had put in some discipline.

This is a nice, concise, and accurate depiction of the problems at Science Hill. The prior coach struggled with the same thing. Some of these athletes come with baggage...that doesn't mean you let them lug it onto the field. The beginning of your tenure is when you let it be known that the trash will NOT be tolerated. Instead we get seperate standards for kids based upon their talent (and even that evaluation is tenuous). Great X's and O's will not win championships and is not even the most important attribute of a high school coach. Developing young men is. The things that have been allowed to happen (without repurcussions) since I have been here are astounding to me...and my kids were not little Johnnies that got chewed out...I'm talking about serious stuff that are life issues. Someone needs to come in here (and it's not too late for Coach Smith) and tell these kids that they can be great, but they will have to do it the right way...not just during the season, but all of the time. Beating DB (or any other good program) doesn't start in the fall...it starts now!

Agreed. Or even Nelson at East.

Who said they would want the position? No offense, but JC is pretty cut throat about their teams. I can understand that part since when I was younger, that was the team to beat. Science Hill was tough and that was all there was to it, no matter what sport they played. Something that fans seem to be forgetting though is that SH isn't the team sports school that it used to be. As a matter of fact, I would say that they are one of the weaker schools in the area compared to what they used to be.

Why would they want to go to JC. Every move they make would be looked at, if something goes wrong, people will be calling for them to be fired. Look at where they are at right now. Volunteer had one of the best teams in a long time and East is much stronger than they used to be. Both schools used to be the regional whipping boys, and now they are something you can't snub your nose at. Nelson and Rider both can stay in Hawkins County and Sullivan County without worrying about people always second guessing them.

This is a nice, concise, and accurate depiction of the problems at Science Hill. The prior coach struggled with the same thing. Some of these athletes come with baggage...that doesn't mean you let them lug it onto the field. The beginning of your tenure is when you let it be known that the trash will NOT be tolerated. Instead we get seperate standards for kids based upon their talent (and even that evaluation is tenuous). Great X's and O's will not win championships and is not even the most important attribute of a high school coach. Developing young men is. The things that have been allowed to happen (without repurcussions) since I have been here are astounding to me...and my kids were not little Johnnies that got chewed out...I'm talking about serious stuff that are life issues. Someone needs to come in here (and it's not too late for Coach Smith) and tell these kids that they can be great, but they will have to do it the right way...not just during the season, but all of the time. Beating DB (or any other good program) doesn't start in the fall...it starts now!

I totally agree that the 2008 football season starts now!!! My boy has already started his offseason workout, catching 100 balls a day and doing various drills accompanied with weight lifting. There are a lot of good drills on www.nike.com/gridiron. We have to practice like champions. Come on Toppers lets GO TO WORK FOR 2008!!!! /mad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" /> /mad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" /> /mad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" /> /mad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" /> Like I always say live and play by my signature.