Goodpasture to Host Hickman County

easyreader

I did not know that Alcoa and maryville were private schools. Here we go again with the cry-baby public school fans.

You won't hear any moaning from me. I'm a Camden fan and I think we're catching up. Last time we played GP, they killed us; CPA did the same... We started scheduling up to get ready for the depth and talent private schools have and we go into round 2 and take it to them. We didn't win, but the time is coming.... .. As much as I hate to say it, I know that middle and east TN are a bit ahead of West TN 2A and up. What West TN needs to do is take a lesson and get better. I think we can do it. I think we WILL do it. Football tradition runs too deep in this entire STATE not to.

It doesn't take recruited players to win. That's absurd. They're probably not recruiting anyways. It takes a winning traditon and a will to dominate. You obviously don't hear Milan andHuntingdon fans on here whining about privates or accusing them of recruiting. They take their lumps and move on. That's why they have some 'Ships between them.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did not know that Alcoa and maryville were private schools. Here we go again with the cry-baby public school fans.

And unless you personally have ever attended a public school and played a sport there, then you wouldn't understand. You will always see things through your private school glasses. Funny you consider it whining, but in fact there was a big article about it in the Tennessean several weeks back. Even TSSAA recognizes it is a major problem. And whether you consider it formal recruiting or not, it happens. Bottom line. What parent wouldn't rather their kid attend GP instead of Hunter's Lane if they're living in that area? Location of the school alone helps them get good athletes from the area whose parents don't want them attending a big metro public school. Doesn't work like that in public schools. The family must physically move within that zone for their kid to attend the school. Well stated by Turbo, only an idiot would sincerely believe the private schools do not have an advantage. A few good public school programs are able to overcome the disadvantage, but not on a consistent basis, at least not when playoff time rolls around.

And unless you personally have ever attended a public school and played a sport there, then you wouldn't understand. You will always see things through your private school glasses. Funny you consider it whining, but in fact there was a big article about it in the Tennessean several weeks back. Even TSSAA recognizes it is a major problem. And whether you consider it formal recruiting or not, it happens. Bottom line. What parent wouldn't rather their kid attend GP instead of Hunter's Lane if they're living in that area? Location of the school alone helps them get good athletes from the area whose parents don't want them attending a big metro public school. Doesn't work like that in public schools. The family must physically move within that zone for their kid to attend the school. Well stated by Turbo, only an idiot would sincerely believe the private schools do not have an advantage. A few good public school programs are able to overcome the disadvantage, but not on a consistent basis, at least not when playoff time rolls around.

I think the real advantage comes from the privates getting to use 1.8 kids to block the publics 1 kid. That's gotta be tough. What, you mean it's not really 1.8 kids, wouldn't that mean smaller schools are playing in a larger school classification. One team wins, one team loses, don't make excuses for either, else be labled a crybaby!! /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

You won't hear any moaning from me. I'm a Camden fan and I think we're catching up. Last time we played GP, they killed us; CPA did the same... We started scheduling up to get ready for the depth and talent private schools have and we go into round 2 and take it to them. We didn't win, but the time is coming.... .. As much as I hate to say it, I know that middle and east TN are a bit ahead of West TN 2A and up. What West TN needs to do is take a lesson and get better. I think we can do it. I think we WILL do it. Football tradition runs too deep in this entire STATE not to.It doesn't take recruited players to win. That's absurd. They're probably not recruiting anyways. It takes a winning traditon and a will to dominate. You obviously don't hear Milan andHuntingdon fans on here whining about privates or accusing them of recruiting. They take their lumps and move on. That's why they have some 'Ships between them.

I would like to nominate this for post of the year /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

I am a fan and supporter of HC Bulldogs and I'm afraid I have to agree with rcombs on this one. I believe if Coach Swenson can schedule a meeting with Milan, Huntingdon,Camden or even Goodpasture(or even two of the four) and start scheduling up to get ready for the depth and talent of private schools and also the playoff teams, It would get the team ready for "bigger" games and they would be much better prepared for teams like these in the playoffs. JMO

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I think the real advantage comes from the privates getting to use 1.8 kids to block the publics 1 kid. That's gotta be tough. What, you mean it's not really 1.8 kids, wouldn't that mean smaller schools are playing in a larger school classification. One team wins, one team loses, don't make excuses for either, else be labled a crybaby!! /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />I would like to nominate this for post of the year /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

I guess if the Tennessee Titans played Goodpasture there would be no unfair advantage, since after all the Titans would only be using 1 player to block Goodpasture's 1 player, right? Great argument, Sherlock. Call it crying if you like, but just calling it like I see it. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I am a fan and supporter of HC Bulldogs and I'm afraid I have to agree with rcombs on this one. I believe if Coach Swenson can schedule a meeting with Milan, Huntingdon,Camden or even Goodpasture(or even two of the four) and start scheduling up to get ready for the depth and talent of private schools and also the playoff teams, It would get the team ready for "bigger" games and they would be much better prepared for teams like these in the playoffs. JMO

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I stated this same opinion either on this topic or another and I was bashed by Hickman County fans. That is the key to succeeding in 2A football is your non-region schedule. If you want to compete for state championships and the privates you have to schedule up. Even Alcoa does it. They play the likes of McCallie, Fulton, and other top schools from other classifications. I know CPA is always looking for games within their own classification, so Hickman wouldn't have a problem scheduling them. All they have to do is pick up the phone.

Like was stated earlier Camden learned their lesson in dealing with the privates from Nashville. Will Hickman Co. do the same or will they stay like Lewis Co. who won't take those 1A teams off their schedule? We see where that has gotten the Panthers.

Another note to Bulldog fans, getting to the 3rd round won't always be that easy. This year the quadrant system payed off for you guys and Lewis Co. having GP and CPA play each other in the first round. That won't be the case every year, just the way it fell this year.

I guess if the Tennessee Titans played Goodpasture there would be no unfair advantage, since after all the Titans would only be using 1 player to block Goodpasture's 1 player, right? Great argument, Sherlock. Call it crying if you like, but just calling it like I see it. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Ok then, Sherlock says your crying.

I stated this same opinion either on this topic or another and I was bashed by Hickman County fans. That is the key to succeeding in 2A football is your non-region schedule. If you want to compete for state championships and the privates you have to schedule up. Even Alcoa does it. They play the likes of McCallie, Fulton, and other top schools from other classifications. I know CPA is always looking for games within their own classification, so Hickman wouldn't have a problem scheduling them. All they have to do is pick up the phone.

Like was stated earlier Camden learned their lesson in dealing with the privates from Nashville. Will Hickman Co. do the same or will they stay like Lewis Co. who won't take those 1A teams off their schedule? We see where that has gotten the Panthers.

Another note to Bulldog fans, getting to the 3rd round won't always be that easy. This year the quadrant system payed off for you guys and Lewis Co. having GP and CPA play each other in the first round. That won't be the case every year, just the way it fell this year.

Sorry buts here is how it works. Once your program gets established and you start winning you can no longer get cupcakes to play you. Lewis Co. is the exception but they do play two top tier 1A schools. Ex: At Huntingdon in the early nineties we played halls and south fultion. Once we started winning and going to the semi's n a regular basis they dropped us and we picked up a different team. Usually a tougher team because when your kicking tail nobody wants to play you but the good teams. I suspect this is what happened to camden. This was not some planned way to develop their kids into private beating machines.

I had a good idea this was going to happen. I bragged too quick about the h/c fans. I guess their true colors have came out. same ole story. When you get beat by a private school start crying, beat a private school and your proud. When playing a private school and you get beat , you always have a alaby. Public school beats ya I guess you just got your but kicked.

mbsdude lets not group all HC fans into the same group here. If you will see my earlier post I agree with people on here that if HC want to contine to be a good 2A school and continue to make it to the playoffs they are going to have to "schedule up". I guess some HC fans are bitter that we lost to a private school. I'm not.. Thats why we have to take what we have learned...use it...and get ready for 08'. We are not the only public school to play a private school. I understand both sides of the debate.

There's no difference in a private school and an open zoned public, which Alcoa and Maryville are. Try drawing a 600 kid radius around your campus and picking your team from the kids within and it's a level playing field. As long as you can pick and choose, it's not whether it be private or public.

Good job Peabody. Represent.