MBA vs. BA for STATE

vols98

I agree with every point, although I think Jordan will make a difference in what is sure to be a hard nosed smashmouth game. If Nelson can hit the open recievers (and yes, there were plenty of them in the first game), I do think the Eagles will win. At a minimum, MBA will have to pay some attention after watching game films from the past few weeks. They may even have to play a safety deeper than 7 yards! /ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

At the beginning of the year, I really believed that neither of these teams would be playing in Murfreesboro. What I should have paid more attention to was the massive number of seniors in the lineup for MBA, and the quality of the underclassmen for BA. At this point, I can't remember a year where the top two teams are SO much better than everyone else in the league. Congratulations to both squads for making it to the final game.

I agree. While not totally ditching it, the Eagles have gone retro, running out of the I formation, even putting Jabari Tuani at fullback and just pounding people. The spread puts so much pressure on the QB, and with a young 10th grader at that position, I think they were asking too much out of him. This new formation plays to our talent, big and fast and physical, and allows the QB to be one of the cogs vs. having to do so much. BA started going more with the I at BGA, and against Ryan went with it the majority of the game. Since then, our offense production has really picked up, including the passing game. Also, I think CJ is better out of the I than as a fullback in the spread...he has a lead blocker and is at least 2 yards deeper...when he hits the whole he is full speed.

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since the split, what is the record in games between the two?

From memory, it seems that MBA has the lead in head to head competition; is that accurate?

In the State Championship games head up, I believe that MBA has the lead as well.

I think it is safe to say that BA has always been the favorite, except the 2 years with Ingle at QB. I believe they have always been favored because of the talent level and depth; I can't say that I've called it any differently.

MBA always seems to answer the bell in the big games, especially when they are the underdog.

Once again, the Big Red will be the "dog" in this one, because Chris Jordan is back.

We'll see if they can answer yet again.

Roll Red Roll!

FlyBy

From memory, it seems that MBA has the lead in head to head competition; is that accurate?

In the State Championship games head up, I believe that MBA has the lead as well.

I think it is safe to say that BA has always been the favorite, except the 2 years with Ingle at QB. I believe they have always been favored because of the talent level and depth; I can't say that I've called it any differently.

MBA always seems to answer the bell in the big games, especially when they are the underdog.

Once again, the Big Red will be the "dog" in this one, because Chris Jordan is back.

Roll Red Roll!

FlyBy

I believe MBA leads the series 11-6 and 11-4 since the split.

I have to agree with your points. IMO BA will win if they play well. However, in their first meeting MBA was the one who took the field, executing and playing well - not BA. That is a huge part of the game. Having great players is just part of the puzzle. MBA has been the most consistent "executer" over the past 10 years.

Roll Red Roll!

FlyBy

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Thank you Lou Holtz!

Given a full week's notice, I'm sure the gutty little Big Red team will manage to scour the campus and scrape together a team to face the mighty Eagles! Just amazing the streak they have put together using such undersized and untalented athletes in the past. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Given the return of CJ and the neutral field, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and call this one a toss-up, but to say BA would be a strong favorite after MBA already beat them once this year strains credulity, wouldn't you say?

this really is what it's all about...two class programs. Two class coaches. Two teams who do it the right way. Again this is THE rivalry in Tennessee. Maybe it doesn't have the history, but it has the quality and "star power" that can't be matched anywhere in the state...and now we play again in the post-season for all the marbles.

I agree with flyby...any predictions at this point are just random guesses. This is one of those "too close to call" games....I'd say the difference will be a single turnover, a single big play on special teams, or a single big play from one side.

I'll take this opportunity to praise Coach McGuigin...what a fantastic first season, after all the controversy surrounding his hiring. Whatever happens this week, Coach McGuigin has demonstrated his worth...and that we have a lot to look forward to under his watch at MBA.

this really is what it's all about...two class programs. Two class coaches. Two teams who do it the right way. Again this is THE rivalry in Tennessee. Maybe it doesn't have the history, but it has the quality and "star power" that can't be matched anywhere in the state...and now we play again in the post-season for all the marbles.

I agree with flyby...any predictions at this point are just random guesses. This is one of those "too close to call" games....I'd say the difference will be a single turnover, a single big play on special teams, or a single big play from one side.

I'll take this opportunity to praise Coach McGuigin...what a fantastic first season, after all the controversy surrounding his hiring. Whatever happens this week, Coach McGuigin has demonstrated his worth...and that we have a lot to look forward to under his watch at MBA.

Well said. This game is a great, great match up and is in my opinion a straight "pick-em".

I was really hoping for an "orientation period" for Coach McGuigin. No more than 5-7 years, but it was not to be. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Thank you Lou Holtz!

Given a full week's notice, I'm sure the gutty little Big Red team will manage to scour the campus and scrape together a team to face the mighty Eagles! Just amazing the streak they have put together using such undersized and untalented athletes in the past. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Given the return of CJ and the neutral field, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and call this one a toss-up, but to say BA would be a strong favorite after MBA already beat them once this year strains credulity, wouldn't you say?

I don't think Potter will lose twice in one season to the "little Big Red team". The offense MBA sees will have been adjusted. When did the adjective little include a 275 lb lineman and 250+lb linebackers? Looks like MBA found BA's recruiting list. Assuming your tongue was planted solidly in your cheek. I'm sure all are scholars and will graduate from UT Phi Beta Kappa!

Well said. This game is a great, great match up and is in my opinion a straight "pick-em".

I was really hoping for an "orientation period" for Coach McGuigin. No more than 5-7 years, but it was not to be. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

And I was hoping BA and Ensworth would be playing the 287th overtime late Wednesday afternoon, deadlocked at 2315...we don't always get what we want.