Hampton v/s Midway

dawgbacker

Congratulations Hampton. Heck of a football team and I wish you luck at South Pitt. Seems like you all have great chemistry and a lot of weapons.

I told people going in that the Bulldogs weren't fancy, just very good at what they do. Not many mistakes on offense, the fumble was about it. You had a holding call but still got a TD on that drive. Defensively, gave up some yards but not really a lot of big plays. Never really out of position except when Ray Ray surprised everyone with the TD pass to a receiver (Stansbury) with a broke wrist.

I do think your special teams needs some work. Poe scored on one kickoff return and seemed close to breaking a second one. A punt was blocked and a second would have been if Barry hadn't got back there so fast that the punter took off. Granted he got the first down, but I don't think a 4th-and-12 scramble by the punter is what the coaches want to see very often. Also, Midway successfully ran a fake punt and Hampton had a 15-yard penalty on a punt return that they didn't even return. I know you won by 28 tonight, but breakdowns in the special teams could be costly next week or two weeks from now.

As for Midway, I hate it that Stansbury broke his wrist and they had to do some tweaking 11 weeks into the season, but I thought Coach Moser and his staff still put together a good game plan. Kudos to Stansbury for playing through the injury and finding a way to help your team. Looked good on a couple of returns, caught a TD pass, and picked up 15 yards on a fake punt.

They had some chances tonight to keep things interesting. In the first half a couple of holding penalties put them in passing situations and Hampton made them pay with two picks and 14 points off turnovers. Midway also had a chance to score at the end of the first half, but the clock ran out on them at the 6 yard line.

Pressley did an admirable job with his hurt wrist. He threw two picks, the first was a poor pass/decision that I don't think he makes if he has more experience and the second was a duck that I'd say got away from him due to his hurt wrist. Pressley also appeared to have suffered a concussion tonight and missed a good portion of the fourth and maybe even some of the third quarter. Midway is in good hands at QB next season. Pressley's a good athlete and experience running the offense is all he needs. That will come by next Fall. He's also a great kid.

And what about Ray Ray or should we start calling him Tebow. We all knew he was a tough runner, but when Stansbury got hurt they gave him a Tebow like package and he showed tonight that he'll give teams something else to worry about next year because I guarantee Coach Moser adds to this. Ray finishes the year with 1,800 yards rushing and is awfully close to 4,000 career yards, he may have passed it tonight.

Tonight's loss should be a great motivator in the offseason and with guys like Ray Ray, Poe and Pressley already established and guys like Mark Childers and Matt Oliver waiting in the wings, Midway is primed for another solid playoff run next season.

It saddens me that you have to get on here and point out the 2, and really just 2, mistakes that we had all night. If not for them, Hampton would have embarassed Midway. Blown coverage on a trick play, which was executed perfectly, and a kickoff return for a TD, which I think is the first we have had against us this year. What needs to be mentioned, and I guess I will, was that adjustments were made and it worked out okay.

I will also say that Ray Ray is one awesome player, best running back I have ever seen to get yards after the hit. But you could tell toward the end, he was done. Hampton played a well defensive game and we have said all year that we may bend, but we will not break. Hopefully this, surely, will open eyes of the rest of the state, 3rd straight trip to final 4. This team is good, and these guys are great kids as individuals. If anyone knows anything about this group of guys, they are special in the fact that the majority of them have done great things together in sports and I am looking for them to cap it off.

On that note, I would like to say thanks to all the seniors, you have made football great for Hampton, now lets go down the road and show our stuff.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My heart goes out to Midway. You have a lot to be proud of this year, much respect.

Congrats to Hampton. Get after them Pirates. I know you all will represent the east very well. Records, streaks, wins/losses come and go. Oneida has a rich football history. Many great teams, Many great players. Ask anyone in Oneida, "What's the most famous OHS team?".....the reply is always 1992 State Champs!

I sincerely hope you boys meet your destiny. I will be rooting for the Bulldogs all the way.

It saddens me that you have to get on here and point out the 2, and really just 2, mistakes that we had all night. If not for them, Hampton would have embarassed Midway. Blown coverage on a trick play, which was executed perfectly, and a kickoff return for a TD, which I think is the first we have had against us this year. What needs to be mentioned, and I guess I will, was that adjustments were made and it worked out okay.

I will also say that Ray Ray is one awesome player, best running back I have ever seen to get yards after the hit. But you could tell toward the end, he was done. Hampton played a well defensive game and we have said all year that we may bend, but we will not break. Hopefully this, surely, will open eyes of the rest of the state, 3rd straight trip to final 4. This team is good, and these guys are great kids as individuals. If anyone knows anything about this group of guys, they are special in the fact that the majority of them have done great things together in sports and I am looking for them to cap it off.

On that note, I would like to say thanks to all the seniors, you have made football great for Hampton, now lets go down the road and show our stuff.

Huh? I said Hampton has a great team that offensively and defensively played near flawless football, but I think their special teams must get better. That's not trying to take anything away from a dominant performance, that's just what I saw. They were by far the best team on the field last night and I don't think Midway beats them at full strength, I said that before Stansbury got hurt.

I also think if South Pitt is expecting a bunch of slow mountain boys then they are in trouble because Hampton can move. The key for the Pirates will be a way to slow down Hampton's offense. It's not fancy and you have a good idea of what play is coming, but stopping it is another story because they execute so well.

Huh? I said Hampton has a great team that offensively and defensively played near flawless football, but I think their special teams must get better. That's not trying to take anything away from a dominant performance, that's just what I saw. They were by far the best team on the field last night and I don't think Midway beats them at full strength, I said that before Stansbury got hurt.

I also think if South Pitt is expecting a bunch of slow mountain boys then they are in trouble because Hampton can move. The key for the Pirates will be a way to slow down Hampton's offense. It's not fancy and you have a good idea of what play is coming, but stopping it is another story because they execute so well.

Goose, Thanks for the props.

Your guys played well! I think you were the 1st team to see most of those plays we ran last night.

There were a lot of good players on the field, from both sides!

Hampton's season will end in the 3rd round when Midway beats them. Midway is too fast, too strong and too tough for the Bulldogs this year. Hampton hasn't seen this much speed since Alcoa whipped in the playoffs three or four years ago. Midway folks are calling this their best team ever and I have a hard time believing Hampton can slow them down

NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now that is the way to play the GREAT game we all love!!! Way to go Bulldogs!!!

Stay HuNgRy!!!! 1 more to get to the Boro, 2 more to get the (GOLD)!! Hit 'Em in the MOUTH!!!!!

To the Hampton Bulldog players from this has been, Great job so far, I have really enjoyed watching this years team soooo much. Now lets stay focused and bring it home.

GO BIG BLUE Beware of the Hampton Bulldogs! And Beware of the Hampton Bulldog Nation!

To the Midway players and fans, congratulations on a great season! 11-2 is a fantastic year, you all should be very proud. The crowd for Midway was awesome, it was nice to see the visitor side packed like that. At this point in the season, it's a shame to see someone lose, they work so hard to get this far. As for the Dogs, GREAT JOB! They kept their focus, even when Midway punched them in the mouth early, and they didn't freak out. The line opened great holes all night, and gave Lunceford terrific protection. Now we can look forward to a nice road trip to South Pitt next week, a rare #1 vs #2 matchup in the state semis! How great is that?!?! Go Dogs!

Congrats to you all at Hampton, Good luck next round. Stay safe on your ride down south, your looking at about a 4 hour drive from where you are.

Congrats to you all at Hampton, Good luck next round. Stay safe on your ride down south, your looking at about a 4 hour drive from where you are.

That game was what we needed, we will be better prepared because of it. You had alot better team than what the scoreboard showed and if you get some of your lineman back, you should be a force to reckon with next season. I think someone in region 2 will be in this position next season. Just don't see anyone in region 1 being as good as Hampton has been.

That game was what we needed, we will be better prepared because of it. You had alot better team than what the scoreboard showed and if you get some of your lineman back, you should be a force to reckon with next season. I think someone in region 2 will be in this position next season. Just don't see anyone in region 1 being as good as Hampton has been.

Thanks for those words, also you have a friendly bunch of folks up there, everyone that we talked to was very polite and friendly. You all are a classy bunch ( Players and Fans)! Good luck to both teams this week down south.