11/29 Soddy vs Baylor

walkenvol

I'll have to ask him. I know he took some time off because he was in pretty high demand with the Washington Speakers Bureau.

I'll also see if he's coming up next weekend with the team. If he does it'll be a good chance to get him to autograph his book.

Believe it or not he's been petitioning the state athletic board to grant him a license to fight in MMA fights. He's a pretty tough guy.

We know it first hand. Best of luck to him. Thanx.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bayou, I guess making a general statement like I did is not fair. Your right on about kids needing parental involvement, especially the weight thing. I guess my biggest beef is when parents are at the challenge match rooting for their kid over their teammate. My kid wont let me come near a practice much less a challenge match. There is no question he felt intimidated in years past wrestling his teammate with the only one cheering in the whole room is his challenger's dad. I felt it was an unfair advantage. Some could say that I should be there to even it up. But again, my boy would have killed me. Every situation is unique. I guess what I should have said is that parents should be careful that their involvment in wrestling practices needs to remain a positive experience for the team as a whole and not just a promotion of their child over all the rest. No doubt a lot of programs are better because of parents getting in there and helping the coaches. A coach can't be everywhere all the time. These parents are heros and so are the drivers and food providers. But when it comes to challenge matches, they should either be treated like a dual meet with a concession stand and cheering crowds or conducted in complete privacy. I've seen JV tournaments where kids were wrestling teammates in the finals. I saw parents cheering for both kids to put out more effort. This way they got to cheer on their kid without cheering against the kid's teammate. I've done this myself. If parents took that same approach towards practices and challenge matches, I wouldn't have any problem with it. But, that simply is not the case all the time and when it isn't, it can be real detrimental to the entire team. Just an opinion and thanks for pointing out my extreme attitude overlooked the postitive that parents provide for all these kids.

I'll jump in here a bit, mainly because I do like the idea of parents being able to attend practices. To me, it give me the parent a better understand on how things are going, and what's going on. But I, do not attend practices not because we are not able to, but mainly because I'm trying to cut those strings with my son and allow him to grow as a man. I also totally put my faith in our coach's hands, and believe they are doing everything they can for him. They are also very open on talking to the parents so I can get the feedback I need, while at the same time allowing my son to be one of the guys and not have DAD stairing over his shoulder all the time.

I would not, ever attend a challenge match. Just not something I feel is for the spectators. To me, that's the coach's job to handle this, and again I believe in our coaches and would never try to step in their way.

But, I do continuously ask about his weight, mainly as I am trying to make sure he does it right. I also ask about practices on a daily basis, because I do care and want to know how things are going, not because I'm trying to second guess the coach.

I don't know about you guys, but by the time I'm off work and through the Atlanta traffic...practice is over.

I do like to go up to practice on occasion and like Bradley Central ours is open, but generally I can only get up there during the holidays. It seems to me that most of the Dads that are usually up there are same ones that chaperone on trips and have always helped out. Most even coached the kids in youth; we can't have middle school programs in Cobb or Gwinnett counties.

Sometimes it seems like more of a social time for dads than worrying about junior's practice. I've never seen a dad cause a problem during practice. I do think if one did though Coach Ramos would have no trouble telling them to leave.

Allsaints - I'm sure your opinion is based on a bad experience. Bradley has allowed full access to parents since day one (for observing only) and I'm 99% sure Soddy, McCallie and Baylor do as well. Those programs and kids have done fairly well. Many posters (non-Bradley) on this site have attended Bradley practices. I agree it is the kids time but it's also the parents time. It's the only time in your life where you'll ever have a kid wrestling. I'm not talking interference...I'm talking being involved in the experience. I've carried my boys all over the country to events, been witness to almost 800 matches and attended hundreds and hundreds of practices, workouts and challenge matches. AND wouldn't trade any piece of the journey for anything (even the bumps along the way) and I don't think my boys would either. As I and they grow older, we only seem to remember the good, the weird and the funny.

My view of a kid getting a total screw job....It's a kid who's parent(s): never show up for a practice, not there for every match, never ask "how's your weight", never get a hug after a win or a pat on the back after a tough loss. There's a lot of bad crap in this world but a parent showing lots of interest and being involved in their kids lives is simply not one of them.

Dang, for a bunch of tough guy rasslin' daddies, you guys sure are in touch with your feminine side> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Just kidding--watching wrestling dads and their young'uns may be the most rewarding.

Attending my kid's practice sessions has provided me with some of the fondest memories of my life. I attended many, I wish now, I'd attended even more. It allowed me to relate to him in ways that I would not otherwise had. It gave me an opportunity to brag on him when deserved, and to encourage him when he got down. I wouldn't take a jillion for that.

Plus, it also gave me the opportunity to get to know the coaches and other parents. Some, who are now friends for life. In my opinion, coaches appreciate parents who take an interest in their own kid and the program they're participating in. The parent can look for ways to support and contribute to the team, and encourage other parents to as well.

As far as parents, or anyone else, attending the wrestle-offs, that should not be allowed. The best way is for the two competitors to square off with only the coaches in attendance.

All Saints makes a good point about giving the kid his space and time and allowing him the independence to mature on his own. Although, that time will come soon enough. Parenting does not come with a manual, so deciding when to back off is a real challenge. Kids feel secure when they know their interests are shared and supported.

Bayou, I guess making a general statement like I did is not fair. Your right on about kids needing parental involvement, especially the weight thing. I guess my biggest beef is when parents are at the challenge match rooting for their kid over their teammate. My kid wont let me come near a practice much less a challenge match. There is no question he felt intimidated in years past wrestling his teammate with the only one cheering in the whole room is his challenger's dad. I felt it was an unfair advantage. Some could say that I should be there to even it up. But again, my boy would have killed me. Every situation is unique. I guess what I should have said is that parents should be careful that their involvment in wrestling practices needs to remain a positive experience for the team as a whole and not just a promotion of their child over all the rest. No doubt a lot of programs are better because of parents getting in there and helping the coaches. A coach can't be everywhere all the time. These parents are heros and so are the drivers and food providers. But when it comes to challenge matches, they should either be treated like a dual meet with a concession stand and cheering crowds or conducted in complete privacy. I've seen JV tournaments where kids were wrestling teammates in the finals. I saw parents cheering for both kids to put out more effort. This way they got to cheer on their kid without cheering against the kid's teammate. I've done this myself. If parents took that same approach towards practices and challenge matches, I wouldn't have any problem with it. But, that simply is not the case all the time and when it isn't, it can be real detrimental to the entire team. Just an opinion and thanks for pointing out my extreme attitude overlooked the postitive that parents provide for all these kids.

Well said.

No cheering allowed during challenge matches at Bradley. No Tiger Woods elbow pumps. No Michael Jackson moonwalks. Anyone can watch but all mouths are kept shut and only golf claps following.

No matter how you slice it, cheering for someone is very close to cheering against someone else. Knowing that, how can a parent cheer against a member of the team? It's shows little class and is not allowed.

Well said.

No cheering allowed during challenge matches at Bradley. No Tiger Woods elbow pumps. No Michael Jackson moonwalks. Anyone can watch but all mouths are kept shut and only golf claps following.

No matter how you slice it, cheering for someone is very close to cheering against someone else. Knowing that, how can a parent cheer against a member of the team? It's shows little class and is not allowed.

i'm sorry bayou bear but i must call you out on this one--with the dedication of the bradley wrestlers and coaches--eat sleep breathe wrestling 365 days a yr 24 hours a day---there is no way these kids no what a tiger elbow pump or a moonwalk is---and i am sure the only time they see a golf course is while they are on there daily 10 mile warm up run /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> ---so admit it bear the reason the kids and the parents are so well behaved is because it is a class group of people---good luck--- until jan 3 that is /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

Challenge matches at BC have been public yet very quiet and no rooting, Have seen just a few over the last 8 years with the two boys. Every one is respected and politely clapped for as BB said. Coaches have nothing to hide and parents as involved an gutwrenced inside have learned that you come in be quiet and observe. But as Bayou said fond memories are there and even when yours wins you feel for and respect the efforts and guts of the one who tried to get there but fell short. Its all part of the sport. A good experience in the long run for winners and losers of the challenge.

Allsaints - I'm sure your opinion is based on a bad experience. Bradley has allowed full access to parents since day one (for observing only) and I'm 99% sure Soddy, McCallie and Baylor do as well. Those programs and kids have done fairly well. Many posters (non-Bradley) on this site have attended Bradley practices. I agree it is the kids time but it's also the parents time. It's the only time in your life where you'll ever have a kid wrestling. I'm not talking interference...I'm talking being involved in the experience. I've carried my boys all over the country to events, been witness to almost 800 matches and attended hundreds and hundreds of practices, workouts and challenge matches. AND wouldn't trade any piece of the journey for anything (even the bumps along the way) and I don't think my boys would either. As I and they grow older, we only seem to remember the good, the weird and the funny.

My view of a kid getting a total screw job....It's a kid who's parent(s): never show up for a practice, not there for every match, never ask "how's your weight", never get a hug after a win or a pat on the back after a tough loss. There's a lot of bad crap in this world but a parent showing lots of interest and being involved in their kids lives is simply not one of them.

Amen!!!