Riverdale Offseason Thread

CantStopTheChop

The thing that bothers me warhawks is losing the Oakland traditions. I am afraid everything will turn to a mini-Riverdale. I know that sounds great to you, but it isn't to me. Marty U preached the Oakland way to our players, never letting them forget the greats from teams past. You can't convince me that these guys are better at teaching life lessons than Marty and Ferg were. OHS dealt with so much adversity over the years......Siegel opening and losing their principal to them....seeing zone exempts given like candy to Siegel..... losing a top midstate player to another school....deaths of students close to our program.....deaths of parents of players......the Pico ordeal.... working with a skeletal staff........Ferg had his hands full with just those issues. Ferg was not a rulebreaker and he dealt with the hand given him. Folk don't realize how many young men were saved literally b/c of Marty and Ferg and their strong Christian guidance in their lives. Talk to some of our players about their coaches and the strong Christian staff that surrounded them. I remember after one camp that multiple players were so moved that they were baptized in a swimming pool.I only pray that this new staff will have the same values and guide these young men in a positive manner. Sometimes it isn't all about winning games, it is about winning at life. Marty could do both.

Now before I get jumped on here, I am certainly not insinuating that any of the coaches coming are not men of the highest Christain calibur as well. I want you to tell me about them.

Great post 2P. Ferg was not given what is now being offered and that's not cool. He did alot for the program/school/kids/etc... I also agree with an earlier post that the guys being brought n are great coaches and people and will win a bunch of football games in the future. I just wish Ferg was given what is now being offered up. Kinda makes u wonder about things @ OHS

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2p, think of ALL the things you hate about Rankin and turn them 180 degrees to what you like about coaches. That is what you are getting with the Coaches you mentioned from R'dale. This staff could literally turn the program around and have them contending for a gold ball again SOON! It will NOT be this next year obviously, but it will be soon if the players listen and come out in the numbers they used to there. Next to Coach Britton you are getting EVERY coach the clone listened to and respected. These are the MEN that cared about the players both on and off the field that were on Rankin's staff. They are also the ones that 'tried' to keep things honest and above board, both on and off the field.

Can you tell I not only like them but respect them yet? If not then I will say it out loud, I RESPECT and like Oaklands new staff! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Now do y'all have any Oakland shirts in real men sizes? At least y'all will have a decent passing attack this year!

You hit the nail on the head. Riverdale seemed to be able to get most anything that they wanted when Hulan Watson was the superintendent. It was unbelievable how many coaches graced their sidelines. Marty's last yr at OHS....seemed like The Riverdale coaching staff by itself outnumbered our entire team. When Nolan acted as interim superintendent, Siegel scored a lot of teachers and athletes from Oakland. Then Gill gets superintendent and has ties to Smyrna. Smyrna went from a small football staff ( Shad was calling both D and O it was so small...) to having many coaches added to their staff. OHS had the chance to snag Coach Robbins.....but was unable to do so. Smyrna got him along with many others. You see the result.....2 gold balls. You saw the result when Watson was in power......4 gold balls. How we ever scored any Gold with no power in the super's chair is beyond me. I think if Ferg had been given the opportunities that other schools were given, things would have been very different at OHS. We already had good knowledeable coaches ....but they were stretched way too thin for the youth we had to play. We had many kids from Lascassas with no experience playing football. Had we had more coaches on staff to spend more time with those kids to teach them the basic fundamentals, we would have seen a big difference on the field.We won't even go into the enrollment numbers differences at the high schools. Bottom line,.......to be successful you have to have the power at the school board. Do we have some of it now???? If so, how did we get it?

The thing that bothers me warhawks is losing the Oakland traditions. I am afraid everything will turn to a mini-Riverdale. I know that sounds great to you, but it isn't to me. Marty U preached the Oakland way to our players, never letting them forget the greats from teams past. You can't convince me that these guys are better at teaching life lessons than Marty and Ferg were. OHS dealt with so much adversity over the years......Siegel opening and losing their principal to them....seeing zone exempts given like candy to Siegel..... losing a top midstate player to another school....deaths of students close to our program.....deaths of parents of players......the Pico ordeal.... working with a skeletal staff........Ferg had his hands full with just those issues. Ferg was not a rulebreaker and he dealt with the hand given him. Folk don't realize how many young men were saved literally b/c of Marty and Ferg and their strong Christian guidance in their lives. Talk to some of our players about their coaches and the strong Christian staff that surrounded them. I remember after one camp that multiple players were so moved that they were baptized in a swimming pool.I only pray that this new staff will have the same values and guide these young men in a positive manner. Sometimes it isn't all about winning games, it is about winning at life. Marty could do both.

Now before I get jumped on here, I am certainly not insinuating that any of the coaches coming are not men of the highest Christain calibur as well. I want you to tell me about them.

I can garentee you that Oakland will not become a little Riverdale. These young coaches will want to make their own mark and will come to Oakland and learn what the traditions are. They will keep those traditions and hopefully add some new ones that bring Oaklands program back to where it is capable of being! Just give these guys a chance (I know you will) and you will see! Coaches Mac,Snow, White,and Gardner are all Christian men and will give proper guidence to the fine young men they will coach at Oakland. When I have more time in the next day or two I will send you a message to your mail box. 2p all 4 of these coaches are really good people and truely care about the young men they coach and the good example they need to set for them! This I promise you!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey..Hey...Hey..

Lets get this board back to Riverdale people

Any news about changes in staff @ Riverdale or are they staying with the group in place? also how are the players coming along... rumors about some on team changing mind & maybe dropping out?? any info on that??

LETS GO WARRIORS!!!

BTW (good luck Oakland .. yall are way overdue)

Oh yikes......do you mean some players have left the team? I sure hope not. I really hate to see any kid leave this glorious sport no matter what school they play at. Great Football memories can keep the mid alive at any age. Funny how folk can bond from rival schools over this little game with the pigskin.

'If' any have left it is probably WR ones as they were NOT being used any ways. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

I just hope Coach A has come up with some pass plays during this LONG off season. After all in football nowadays you are allowed to pass as this is NOT Rugby but American Football!

'If' any have left it is probably WR ones as they were NOT being used any ways. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

I just hope Coach A has come up with some pass plays during this LONG off season. After all in football nowadays you are allowed to pass as this is NOT Rugby but American Football!

i know of a Lineman that has quit it is not unusual for players to start quitting at this time of the year...if coach A didnt do much after his first year he isnt going to do much more this time either..the wing t is what it is and it looks like we will have for a little while

• 2 weeks later...