Sullivan South v. Maryville

Philster043

You must have gotten mixed up with the wrong part of the Maryville faithful itstartshereman. I have been to several games at maryville and played in even more and have never received anything but respect. I don't know who or what you encountered in Blount County, but don't let that leave a sour taste in your mouth about the progra, and it's fans, as a whole. That's as classy of a group as your gonna find in high school football.

I'll throw my two cents in to add to what papa said. It's tough to say what would happen if both attended South. They ran that spread "option" offense (theres no read from what I saw, but I digress.) Brent wouldn't be good with that type of offense. I know Maryville spreads the field but they do not run the zone read play that is the bread and better of South style of offense. Now I'm not saying that Coach Carter couldn't change his system to accomodate a kid like Burnette, I just don't think its fair to jump to the conclusion if they both went to South then Brent would start at QB. Whoever it was that said that Curt throws it as well as Burnette is dead wrong. Curt runs it a lot better and throws it pretty well, but Burnette made throws last Friday that Curt can't make period (just like I said he would... ::strains arm patting self on back:/smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> Along that same line, Curt made plays with his feet that Burnette could never dream about making. It's all a matter of what you want to do with your offense.

Based on the nonsense you spewed over the last few weeks, I never thought I would be posting a positive comment about your material. I am wrong. Your second paragraph is very insightful. South (and two of the other three HS in Sullivan County) run the spread option attack. The coaches at these High Schools are very close (two are brothers; most of the staffs are friends). As near as I can tell that type of offense is what is going to be run. A perfect fit with personnel is a second consideration. Of course, perhaps that type of "execution offense" makes sense because it is popular and D-I caliber tailbacks are not that common in NET.

If both BB and CP went to South, CP would be the QB.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All this non-sense I read on here about Maryville will lose if or when they move up to 5A, and how superiour 5A teams are to lil-old Maryville. That is all a bunch of BS, they may lose some, heck everybody has to lose sometime but the one reason they will win at that level also, one word COACHING. They have the best coaching staff in the state. I know guys who have played under GQ and that staff but coach elsewhere. They say GQ hasnt changed his system since he started at Maryville. They say they know every play that Maryville is running by name when they line up, but they just cant stop it because they are coached so well. COACHING is the key folks not the size of your school.......

All this non-sense I read on here about Maryville will lose if or when they move up to 5A, and how superiour 5A teams are to lil-old Maryville. That is all a bunch of BS, they may lose some, heck everybody has to lose sometime but the one reason they will win at that level also, one word COACHING. They have the best coaching staff in the state. I know guys who have played under GQ and that staff but coach elsewhere. They say GQ hasnt changed his system since he started at Maryville. They say they know every play that Maryville is running by name when they line up, but they just cant stop it because they are coached so well. COACHING is the key folks not the size of your school.......

Nobody seriously questions the size of the Maryville student body. In fact, Maryville is well past the number of students to play in 5A now and is bigger than some 5A schools. TN only reclassifies every 5 years (I think that is right) so growth or loss happens. Overall though, Maryville by no means is asmall or even medium sized school. Maryvill will be an awesome 5A team if they keep doing what they are doing. In the playoffs in 5A though, the road will become tougher much earlier giving them more tough game they must win to get to the big game.

you must have me confused with someone else because no comparison to Manning has been made by me.all I have seen is how CP is better than Burnette and the classy posts on my part has to do with standing up for BB.

I did not say he was the best in the state. I said he stands out amonst the other QB's in the state.5A, 4A the results would still be the same.

I do not see fans rubbing anything in your face just sending back what is being spewed.People will always try to play the class card when they have no other option.

Bottom line is BB is a complete QB who knows what is expected of him and he does it. He runs the offense and makes it go.I did not say it before but i will now . The job he has done and does every week makes this team a winner and that makes him the best QB in the state. A QB's number one job is to win the game and that also makes him #1.I am sure that CP will have a fine collegiate career but in HS he and all the others are playing second fiddle.I am sure he would trade all his yards and TD's to be on the blue field come saturday.So when I ask Burnette your question as he holds the winners trophy you ask Curt mine.It ends at Murfreesboro Man!

Hey itstartshere, what was CP's answer to the question?

Burnette's answer was loud and clear.I would say Mr.Football and MVP pretty much sums it up. I was going to ask CP myself since I knew you would not but I did not see him anywhere.I guess you are right about one thing him and Burnette would not be put in the same group.CP's group must have been meeting somewhere else instead of the mediocre group on the field holding the Gold Ball .

CP is a great qb and I am sure a credit to his school and hometown but right now BB is the #1 QB in the State.

Hey itstartshere, what was CP's answer to the question?

Burnette's answer was loud and clear.I would say Mr.Football and MVP pretty much sums it up. I was going to ask CP myself since I knew you would not but I did not see him anywhere.I guess you are right about one thing him and Burnette would not be put in the same group.CP's group must have been meeting somewhere else instead of the mediocre group on the field holding the Gold Ball .

CP is a great qb and I am sure a credit to his school and hometown but right now BB is the #1 QB in the State.

I'm sure CP is pretty tired of the comparisons!!!t Truth be known, when both CP and BB stood side by side in the combines (without their South or Maryville jerseys) and without their supporting staff....BB didn't get any looks! Maybe in the "blind" eyes of the "locals" BB gets the nod... but who will be playing on Saturdays at the D1 level... by bet is on Curt Phillips (CP to you!)! The proof is in the "offers"! What has BB landed? And if he is so great why is it taking schools so long to offer? The top QB's were offered LONG ago... like in June and July! Just a little reality check for ya!

I'm sure CP is pretty tired of the comparisons!!!t Truth be known, when both CP and BB stood side by side in the combines (without their South or Maryville jerseys) and without their supporting staff....BB didn't get any looks! Maybe in the "blind" eyes of the "locals" BB gets the nod... but who will be playing on Saturdays at the D1 level... by bet is on Curt Phillips (CP to you!)! The proof is in the "offers"! What has BB landed? And if he is so great why is it taking schools so long to offer? The top QB's were offered LONG ago... like in June and July! Just a little reality check for ya!

This thread is dead so I should let it go but Curt had a bad night...I know of 3 he had in the past 3 years. Meanwhile, Maryville had a great night.

The bottom line here is Curt got his numbers and recognition on athleticism...PERIOD. BB got his reputation from superior coaching. Yes, the combines told the tale. Curt went to group A and Burnette went to group B. Period.

Burnette played the superior game on that Friday and GQ was the superior coach. Maryville won and South choked. Shoulda', woulda', coulda' don't cut it when the Gold Ball is at stake. It was do or die...daylight or dark...hot or cold...black or white... Maryville did all the right things and deserve all the spoils. They taught Sullivan South a lesson in the big time. Not with superior athletes...not with better this or better that...not with D1 talent. They taught us a lesson in coaching. We will be the better for it. We will be back. And '08 looks pretty impressive. I for one am glad we played the best in the state and beyond. It will force us to take it up a notch. Henry County, Maplewood, or Hillsboro for that matter could not have hung with us. It served to prove that NET football is not quite the waterboy we are made out to be.

So let Burnette enjoy his reward. He has the right to be proud. Curt will have another day. He is just getting warmed up.

So be appreciative of the opportunity to see how it is done...and live for the chilly December evening when the Blue Rebels put the hammer down.

Lay off Burnette and Maryville...they were not responsible for South's loss to them in the Semi Finals...at least not solely.

2008...the year of Fate. Rebel Nation.