Sullivan South v. Maryville

Philster043

listen im not from Maryville or SS, but it dont matter what class Maryville is in, they would win the champiomship in 5A. it is the best program in TN sports history, it is unbelievable what they do year in year out. imo alcoa has more talent then maryville, but look at what maryville does to them, beats em to death. i wanna see how far they can go w/out losing a game. unreal

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as the arguement on the quarterbacks goes...they are different styles so its hard to compare. Burnette is good but Curt can pass just as good and run better. This is my guess as to why he is getting more offers than Burnette. The offense in college football is heading in a new direction and anyone who has watched Tebow and the triple option can attest to this.

I heard maryville is getting bumped up to 5A next year because they weren't counting co-op students in their enrollment. Anyone know anything about this?

The whole county players going to city and city going to county is just an arbitrary arguement. If city players go to the county to play its because someone better is already playing in the city. Higher profile players tend to go to the city to get scouting recognition. i.e. Thomas Harrison

I think the co-op thing is correct. They might make Maryville move up to 5-A this year and make them forfit all their games. They are talking about getting all the coaches together from the teams we beat and let them play blackjact for a chance to go to Murfreesboro on Saturday to play Maplewood.

Rebel9

Some have commented about the level of competition sullivan and phillips plays against. Just curious, how did the other teams in sullivans region fair during the play-offs? I know little about maryvilles either. I spoke to some folks from knoxville who attended the game. They said it was a fun game to watch. They thought phillips was a good hardnosed player and was impressed by the running back of sullivan. Surprised them saying sullivan not being able to utilize a passing game and not being more balanced particularly when they fell behind. They were very impressed with burnette and maryvilles offense and their ability to move the ball quickly. They did not remember maryville having to punt. I am looking forward to watching the state championship games Friday and Saturday. Congrats to maryville and I will be watching in a different light since Hillsboros not playing! Good luck!

I am talking about the top athelics, they don't need to move to a smaller school to get more playing time. I can say this because my son did it. It was a different sport, but there were several others on the DB team that were also zoned for the county.

Give it up, bud is right. There are more athletes that transfer "from DB" to other area schools than there are transfering in. We lost two to the county schools this year that would of been on the field for DB. They may of not been "top" athletes at DB but they were "top" at the schools they transfered to. We have had athletes transfer to South, North, Volunteer, and Gate City that I know of right off the top of my head. And for various reasons. Its no big deal though. All schools deal with it. Its just that some won't admit it.

Now back to your regulary schedualed program. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Some have commented about the level of competition sullivan and phillips plays against. Just curious, how did the other teams in sullivans region fair during the play-offs? I know little about maryvilles either. I spoke to some folks from knoxville who attended the game. They said it was a fun game to watch. They thought phillips was a good hardnosed player and was impressed by the running back of sullivan. Surprised them saying sullivan not being able to utilize a passing game and not being more balanced particularly when they fell behind. They were very impressed with burnette and maryvilles offense and their ability to move the ball quickly. They did not remember maryville having to punt. I am looking forward to watching the state championship games Friday and Saturday. Congrats to maryville and I will be watching in a different light since Hillsboros not playing! Good luck!

In Souths district Tennessee High (Bristol),Johnson County and Sullivan East were knocked out in the 1st round playoff game. Volunteer beat Bristol, Greenville beat SE and Morristown West beat JC.

Yes I'm sure he would, but I don't hear anybody on here from South runnin' their mouth making Curt out to be the next Peyton Manning like you are. So why are there no more D1 offers? You brag, brag,brag about how superior he is, where are they. He made some good throws last night but from where I was sitting(in very supprisingly small stands) most of the night his recievers were usually ten yards away from the DBs. Yes he is leading his team to a 5A championship game..oops 4A and it does take a special QB to do that, but to say he's the best in the state? C'mon, I think your blinded by your own school colors. Oh and about the combines, no backhanded slap meant toward him just the arrogant ones on here making him out to be the best thing since sliced bread. I'm just stating the facts, and I didn't want to tell it but sombody has to tell the truth on here amongst all the bragging. You beat us , no debating that,but some Marryville fans, not all, want to rub Souths' nose in it too, occasionally throwing in backhanded compliments. Show the class some said of you on here before the game. There have been few exceptions of that on here from Marryville fans. Oh and after Burnette's season is over ask him that same question again....you might get a different answer. I hope you guys have an injury free chamionship game...but I'll be pullin for the underdog.

you must have me confused with someone else because no comparison to Manning has been made by me.all I have seen is how CP is better than Burnette and the classy posts on my part has to do with standing up for BB.

I did not say he was the best in the state. I said he stands out amonst the other QB's in the state.5A, 4A the results would still be the same.

I do not see fans rubbing anything in your face just sending back what is being spewed.People will always try to play the class card when they have no other option.

Bottom line is BB is a complete QB who knows what is expected of him and he does it. He runs the offense and makes it go.I did not say it before but i will now . The job he has done and does every week makes this team a winner and that makes him the best QB in the state. A QB's number one job is to win the game and that also makes him #1.I am sure that CP will have a fine collegiate career but in HS he and all the others are playing second fiddle.I am sure he would trade all his yards and TD's to be on the blue field come saturday.So when I ask Burnette your question as he holds the winners trophy you ask Curt mine.It ends at Murfreesboro Man!

listen im not from Maryville or SS, but it dont matter what class Maryville is in, they would win the champiomship in 5A. it is the best program in TN sports history, it is unbelievable what they do year in year out. imo alcoa has more talent then maryville, but look at what maryville does to them, beats em to death. i wanna see how far they can go w/out losing a game. unreal

Man do you know how moronic you sound? You should stick to basketball or maybe not, you will be interested to know that DB's basketball program has more wins than any team in america (you did say TN sports history), I would guarantee that maryville would not win the 5a state title! I am willing to go as far to say that when they are moved up to 5a that thier win streak will come to an end!

Man do you know how moronic you sound? You should stick to basketball or maybe not you will be interested to know that DB's basketball program has more wins than any team in america (you did say TN sports history), I would guarantee that maryville would not win the 5a state title! I am willing to go as far to say that when they are moved up to 5a that thier win streak will come to an end!

For someone who keeps a close eye on who has Class , It sure doesn't take much to get you fired up . Calling someone a Moron , and guaranteeing a Maryville defeat ...... man , I sure do dread moving up to 5A and having to play where the manly men play !! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> Relax GrayGhost , no need to get your blood pressure up because of one post .

okay, im not going to lie...when we do eventually move up to 5A, yes we will lose a game, or maybe more than just one...heck, we could lose one before we move up, HOWEVER, after the boys adjust to the 'different or more intense playing level' we will rise to the occasion and take everyone in that class down just as we have in 4A because its not all about what class we're in, george and all his coaches are just a special group of guys, and thats just the way it is....

Man do you know how moronic you sound? You should stick to basketball or maybe not, you will be interested to know that DB's basketball program has more wins than any team in america (you did say TN sports history), I would guarantee that maryville would not win the 5a state title! I am willing to go as far to say that when they are moved up to 5a that thier win streak will come to an end!

I would say that most wins is totally different from best program. I would also add that sports in TN be looked at as: preplayoff system and playoff system as well as integration to be evaluated fairly. And losing is like dying we are eventually going to do it. Thats not a bad bet whether 4A or 5A.

Since the game I haven't read anything worth reading. No one broke the game down in honest unbiased form. No one examined the warriors to see what they posessed and no one critiqued the mistakes. I guess everyone is tired.

Let me just say that Burnette was impressive! He ran two totally different offenses with aplomb. He read defenses like an ace and made adjustments thereof. The RB's were good. The OL was good. But neither was any better than anything we have seen all year. It was the WR's and their relationship with Burnette that killed us. That relationship is called coaching. They have been coached to look for opportunity in adversity. That is what beat Sullivan South. Burnette doesn't throw any farther, harder, or more accurate than Curt. BUT he does make split second decisions and never hesitated in a crunch. He showed to be a tremendously instinctive player. You can't coach that. You either have it or not.

Curt had one of the worst nites of his career. You did not see the real Curt Phillips. Sad to say but our WR's were not getting open. Period. If the WR won't get open then we have a delimna. A delimna that requires a change in direction. True to form we did not change direction. And that was when we bailed out. You saw a glimpse of what our plan B is but we refuse (?) to utilize this weapon under duress. You could not seem to stop #15 and if we had turned him loose it would have been a different ballgame. I'm sure many of you wondered why we did not use him more. The fans near me were from W Blount, Cocke County and three different Knox County schools. They all were asking why we didn't use #15 more.

Suffice to say that you were the superior team. My hat is off. But you were superior in discrete ways. The style of game Quarles is teaching your players does not require brute strength but relies on inteligence. A little mistake here, a little blunder there...meanwhile someone on the sideline is drawing up a nice response to the quiet miscues we made. And then suddenly the QB capatolizes on them. I don't think our RB would have won the game but he would have made it interesting. Yes, the fumble on the 5 killed us. But we were dead before that. Everyone knew it would be a coaching game and ultimately it was. Even though Maryville is on auto-pilot GQ engineered it to be there.

I thought reclassification was in '09 not in '08. Which would allow you to stay in 4A next year as well. Would love to see you next year. Rebel Nation.