Sullivan South v. Maryville

Philster043

Was at the game last night and there are so many things on my mind. First about the game, Maryville was and is all that is advertised, you had my respect before and you certainly still have my respect. I wish you all the very best next week in the boro. Two plays stand out in my mind. After South had tied the game at 7, I did feel we had some momentum, we had the Red Rebels in a 3rd and long and had flushed QB Burnette out of the pocket with pressure, then he and his reciever made a heck of play. Our corner pulled off his coverage to go after QB Burnette, and the reciever, didn't catch his name, wisely signaled Burnette to throw it long, which he did and well momentum changed quickly. Then South moved the ball in the third with a chance to score and make the game close again, but the fumble ended all hopes of anything. Maryville's offense is so very fine tuned, we had no answer to the big play. I agree with FBEmeritus that I saw several South receivers break open but Curt wouldn't pull the trigger, it's easy to say that sitting in the stands, but none the less, the better team won and we as a program can learn from this. We need to learn what it takes to take it to that next level. The boys, from both squads, impressed me after the game. Most of them just didn't shake hands, they hugged each other. Thank you all for the comments on our crowd. We do love our Rebels and we do travel well.

Now I have to say this to the Rebels of Coach Stacy Carter, you, the players, were not even born when I graduated from Sullivan South in 1983. The school was built and opened in 1980 and I was fortunate enough to be able to watch this school come together and field some very quality teams in the 1980's and early 90's. The basis was formed early for success of the program. In the mid 90's thru most of the early 2000's the program suffered mightily from, well bad choices, and a lot of us proud Southern Alumni wondered if we would ever see a return of our proud program. Then came Coach Carter and I knew immediately that he would have a great impact on the program and these young men's lives. Stacy is a class act all the way and words cannot describe how much appreciation I have for him and his staff for what they have done to restore pride back in Death Valley. I know they will go to work and learn from this loss and do what it takes to take it to the next level. I remember seeing an, I believe a 14 year old freshman at the time, enter the game at Tennessee High by the name of Curt Phillips and thinking he is going to be good. I don't know if you read this Curt, but you never disappointed, you always played hard and I know that we will continue to hear great things about you at Wisconsin. Congrats on everything you deserve! To the Rebel seniors you will do well at whatever path you choose to take, make wise choices and thank you for restoring pride in Death Valley football! Taylor Fletcher #15 is probably one of my favorite players, he is running full speed when the ball is handed to him and he keeps churning for more yardage. We have quite a few coming back for next year, we need to work hard in the off season and like I said do what it takes to make it back here again. Thank you Rebels and good luck Red Rebels!!

Great post. We Red Rebel fans respect the heck out of Sullivan South. That fumble near the goaline took the air out of Sullivan South's sails. At that time I was a little nervous. If South punches that ball in Maryville has a dogfight on their hands. Sullivan South never quit. In 2004 I think Tennessee High quit. Hopefully we see each other again next season.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The SS fumble on the 5 yd line was huge for Maryville. But don't forget that the Maryville fumble on the 5 yd line, before the half, was just as huge for SS. In both cases the offense was about to score. So basically the two fumbles cancel each other out. You take the fumbles away and the margin of victory is still the same. It would have been 55-28 instead of 48-21.

Maryville is blessed with great athletes. Maryville is blessed with great coaches. Maryville was voted the 9th best city in America to live by A&E. Denso moved into Maryville 20 years ago. Both those things has made Maryville get real big. Denso and Alcoa Alumnium are 2 of the biggest employers in East Tennessee. Maryville is a great city to raise a family. I wouldn't live nowhere else. The Maryville Rebels have great community support. Maryville High School games are always packed. I also know a lot of people who don't go to the games but listen on the radio every friday night. My mom and dad are two of those people who do that.

Maryville has unbelievable feeder programs. You have some Maryville youth league coaches that have coached their teams for the last 25 years. One coach has coached his team the last 40 years. 3 guys have coached for 25 years 1 has coached over 40. Another has coached for over 10 years. A lot of these coaches have had the same assistants during that time. By the time those kids get in high school they know the fundementals of football. Another thing that helps is if a kid that is really good football player has a dad that gets a real good job in the Knoxville area one of the 1st places he looks at living in is Maryville. That is because Maryville has been winning. Maryville is also a great school academically.

Interesting post. I am a Johnson County High fan which most people from Maryville probably havent heard of. We are the farthest east you can get in the state and actually a small 3A school playing 4A ball because of travel expense to our school board. I remember back in the 80's at the double A level we seemed to always meet up with Maryville, Knox Rule, or Loudon in the playoffs. It was reasonable on the equality. Rule won the 80 state championship if I remember correctly and we lost to them 6-0 with the QB throwing I believe 6 ints for us (he was a freshman). Now days, I dont think we can ever compete with Maryville without all the best players ever from Johnson County having boys at the same time and maybe genes can be passed. HA!! Maryville is breaking no rules but does have a huge advantage as you stated above with a great coach, community, and prox. to K-town. I would like to know roughly what percentage of your team is actually born and raised in Maryville. Up here on the Mountain I can tell you that year end year out it is probably 95% of our 40 guys dressed including Freshman. This isnt meant to take a thing away from Maryville because with the string of wins that you have put together I feel it is the greatest run ever in TN. That is impressive whether you have any advantage or not.

Of course it includes all 4 classes. What I meant is it started with the present Sophomore class, the enrolled was taken in 2006. The difference is not insignificant, 1381 for Maryville and 1056 for Sullivan. Thats about 30% more, so to answer your questions in makes a difference of about 3 starters on each side of the ball

Ok I thought you were just using grades 10-12. Three starters on both sides? Sheer speculation on your part. Keep wearing that resentment proudly on your sleeve though. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Peyton Manning probably couldn't either. And many Hall of Fame quarterbacks either.

It's nice to have a quarterback that can run, but when you get to the next level, coaches are going to be a lot hesitant to run their quarterbacks all the time. I know Tim Tebow has dished out more than he's taken, but I'll bet you he's a very sore boy right now.

If Burnette can read defenses better than Phillips, keeps his accuracy up, and continues to have good pocket presence and a scrambling ability like what he demonstrated on his first TD throw in that game tonight, he'll be just fine. And Burnette and Phillips are likely going to have the same quality in their supporting cast wherever they go, so which QB would you want more - the one that's known to run more, or the one who's been known to throw 3 TD's in 3 minutes?

I believe Burnette has been Maryville's MVP this year as well. This was easily the worst Maryville team we've had in the last six years (yes I count the 2003 team that lost to Morristown West) but the one constant on the field was Burnette and he pulled through for us.

Go Maryville, bring another trophy back home.

Good post Phil. That is basically what I was trying to say when I made the "better runningback" "better quarterback" statement. I guess I should have stated it differently to keep from stepping people's toes. I don't know what kind of offense Wisconsin runs but I really doubt he will be running it 28-30 times a game. Burnette simply does more things at the high school level that most qbs are going to do in college. And yes, that of course is based on scheme, coaching and game plan. You are correct, this is one of our least dominant teams in some time. Probably does not make SS feel any better but entirely accurate.

Interesting post. I am a Johnson County High fan which most people from Maryville probably havent heard of. We are the farthest east you can get in the state and actually a small 3A school playing 4A ball because of travel expense to our school board. I remember back in the 80's at the double A level we seemed to always meet up with Maryville, Knox Rule, or Loudon in the playoffs. It was reasonable on the equality. Rule won the 80 state championship if I remember correctly and we lost to them 6-0 with the QB throwing I believe 6 ints for us (he was a freshman). Now days, I dont think we can ever compete with Maryville without all the best players ever from Johnson County having boys at the same time and maybe genes can be passed. HA!! Maryville is breaking no rules but does have a huge advantage as you stated above with a great coach, community, and prox. to K-town. I would like to know roughly what percentage of your team is actually born and raised in Maryville. Up here on the Mountain I can tell you that year end year out it is probably 95% of our 40 guys dressed including Freshman. This isnt meant to take a thing away from Maryville because with the string of wins that you have put together I feel it is the greatest run ever in TN. That is impressive whether you have any advantage or not.

When I saw you in that region up there I immediatelyh remembered those games as well. I am wanting to think we played you in 80, 81 or 81, 82? Seems like we traveled up your way at least once but I can't remember.

Good post Phil. That is basically what I was trying to say when I made the "better runningback" "better quarterback" statement. I guess I should have stated it differently to keep from stepping people's toes. I don't know what kind of offense Wisconsin runs but I really doubt he will be running it 28-30 times a game. Burnette simply does more things at the high school level that most qbs are going to do in college. And yes, that of course is based on scheme, coaching and game plan. You are correct, this is one of our least dominant teams in some time. Probably does not make SS feel any better but entirely accurate.

Burnette who I have never seen play sounds like someone UT would probably want where as Phillips will do better in the W. VA type offense. Both of them sound great but I believe that college football is changing and the drop back pocket passer is going to be a thing of the past soon if they cannot also run the ball. Obviously this would carry over to the pro level at some point and we are also starting to see it there. Titans are a prime example in my opinion as well as the Vick lead Falcons. If Young and Vick run the ball they give their teams a huge advantage at winning ball games. With that said, you still have the Mannings and Bradys of the world that with the right people around them can be deadly just like it sounds Burnette is. I think within 5 to 10 years you will see QB's only be around in the NFL for about the same amount of time as running backs because of the running.

When I saw you in that region up there I immediatelyh remembered those games as well. I am wanting to think we played you in 80, 81 or 81, 82? Seems like we traveled up your way at least once but I can't remember.

I am sure you guys came up here a couple of times and I also remember a regular season matchup back in those days where we traded off home and away. You guys were very good even back then and I think there was a year where our only loss may have been to you. You sure have built a program down there but going back 25 years you started with a great base.

Maryville beat Johnson County 42-14 and 18-0 in 1981. That was my senior year.

Yes I remember we couldnt get past you guys back then. Am I correct on Rule back in 80? That was actually our best team except for 88'. Ironically Alcoa beat us on a hail mary that year and went on to win the state. I am assuming in 80' rule would have gotten past you guys or maybe Loudon. Sorry for the walk in the past and taking this off topic but interesting to look back. By the way, everyone up this way is hoping for another state championship for you guys now that you took our regions champ out.