Sullivan South v. Maryville

Philster043

After reading about all the respect and class on here leading up to the game, some on here have held true to thier words, others it is amazing how much people change after a win. Very sad!

And I refuse to enter this childish debate over QBs, that is completely ridiculous!!!!! Both played thier hearts out, both are great, and will be in college!!!! END OF DISSCUSION for me!

I will wish Maryville good luck next week, THE PLAYERS and COACHES deserve that! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a phrase. To say suit it means to play to me. The fact is the majority of HS athletes who sign with a college, especially at the D1 level, never get to play. Many things can hinder a kids chance to play for the school signed he with. It's a job at that level, not just a fun game. He is doing the right thing in getting ready for the spring practice and I hope he does well, truly. Every kid who can play at the big time D1 level helps to make East Tennessee HS football more respectable, as it really should be. Good luck to the young man and his family.

The fact is the majority.........., never get to play, then where in heck do they (the colleges) get thier players from then? I know they get juco players, transfers and walk-ons (usually only have a small % of a chance), but to say the majority is ludicrous, also you are saying that D1 college coaches cannot gauge talent.

It has taken me most of the day to recover from last night and decided to sign on and write a response to this thread. I was in Death Valley when the very first touchdown was scored by Mike Cook in 1981 and I have been a Sullivan South Rebel fan ever since. Over the years we have produced some great teams with many players going on to play at the next level. We also saw some lean years when the program was effectively forfeited. Then came Coach Carter and his staff who from the beginning have been focused on a well organized and diciplined program like that of the 80's teams. The past 4 years have provided a phenominal turn around for this program! We all owe this man and his staff a great deal of respect for what they have accomplished!

As far as the boys (the team, as a mom I still look at them as boys), they came together and have worked very hard to have made it to last nights game. I have had the opportunity to watch many of the seniors play together since 4th grade, having seemingly endless undefeated seasons, and winning championships. In addition, I have witnessed these young men become MEN with roots in their community, their churches, solid in academics, not to mention polite/humble atheletes. My husband and I have had made some of the best friends you could ask for during these years and enjoyed cheering the team on together! For the memories, the thrill of the game, the excellence you have displayed on and off the field, thank you to the Class of 2008! To all of those who will play at the next level we will continue to support you!

This next part is to the football mom's out there. Most of us have already witnessed our son's completing another rite of passage as they walked off the football field for this was the last time that they would ever play high school football and the last time that we would be able to cheer them on. As the tears rolled down my face last night it wasn't because of the loss as I know that each member of the team had played their all throughout the season, but instead because it was the end of a WONDERFUL ride! To the mom's who haven't faced this yet, win or loose next week you will. And to those mom's who are already there, you understand what I am saying.

So to end this;

To the SSHS Rebel underclassmen, you have the ability to continue with the standard that has been placed before you and I have no doubt you will! Continue in this tradition of excellence and be nice to my youngest who will begin this journey next year. This Rebel mom wishes you the BEST!

To the class of 2008 remember; the Thursday night suppers provided at local churches throughout the season and the meaningful messages from their clergy; Friday morning breakfasts with Haynie and crew; Friday morning parades down Moreland; senior players dance during pep ralley;pre-game meals; Rebel camp; bon fire parties; the friendships you made; and the cheer of a supportive crowd... YOU WILL BE MISSED!!

To the momma's out there, enjoy the ride and make every effort to participate in some way to support and encourage your son's.

And lastly, to the senior mom's this is my last load of nasty sweat drenched uniforms to wash, no more ironing the khaki pants and white shirt for away games, no more pregame meals, no more, no more, no more..and graduation looming ever nearer...I'll be thinking of all of you and your husbands too!

Good luck next week Rebels! (I had to say it one last time!) and Morgan Edwards, We love you!!!

How is the 07-08 recruiting class shaping up for Maryville?

Pretty good so far. We had 8 players at the game last night that were from South Florida and we should have 10 at the game next saturday in Mufreesboro. With any luck we should have all of them in the barn by Christmas.

We just got a new Lier Jet that will allow us to fly as many as 12 players in at one time. That should really help in the future. How is everything going at your school? Did you win your basketball game last night?

Rebel9

It has taken me most of the day to recover from last night and decided to sign on and write a response to this thread. I was in Death Valley when the very first touchdown was scored by Mike Cook in 1981 and I have been a Sullivan South Rebel fan ever since. Over the years we have produced some great teams with many players going on to play at the next level. We also saw some lean years when the program was effectively forfeited. Then came Coach Carter and his staff who from the beginning have been focused on a well organized and diciplined program like that of the 80's teams. The past 4 years have provided a phenominal turn around for this program! We all owe this man and his staff a great deal of respect for what they have accomplished!

As far as the boys (the team, as a mom I still look at them as boys), they came together and have worked very hard to have made it to last nights game. I have had the opportunity to watch many of the seniors play together since 4th grade, having seemingly endless undefeated seasons, and winning championships. In addition, I have witnessed these young men become MEN with roots in their community, their churches, solid in academics, not to mention polite/humble atheletes. My husband and I have had made some of the best friends you could ask for during these years and enjoyed cheering the team on together! For the memories, the thrill of the game, the excellence you have displayed on and off the field, thank you to the Class of 2008! To all of those who will play at the next level we will continue to support you!

This next part is to the football mom's out there. Most of us have already witnessed our son's completing another rite of passage as they walked off the football field for this was the last time that they would ever play high school football and the last time that we would be able to cheer them on. As the tears rolled down my face last night it wasn't because of the loss as I know that each member of the team had played their all throughout the season, but instead because it was the end of a WONDERFUL ride! To the mom's who haven't faced this yet, win or loose next week you will. And to those mom's who are already there, you understand what I am saying.

So to end this;

To the SSHS Rebel underclassmen, you have the ability to continue with the standard that has been placed before you and I have no doubt you will! Continue in this tradition of excellence and be nice to my youngest who will begin this journey next year. This Rebel mom wishes you the BEST!

To the class of 2008 remember; the Thursday night suppers provided at local churches throughout the season and the meaningful messages from their clergy; Friday morning breakfasts with Haynie and crew; Friday morning parades down Moreland; senior players dance during pep ralley;pre-game meals; Rebel camp; bon fire parties; the friendships you made; and the cheer of a supportive crowd... YOU WILL BE MISSED!!

To the momma's out there, enjoy the ride and make every effort to participate in some way to support and encourage your son's.

And lastly, to the senior mom's this is my last load of nasty sweat drenched uniforms to wash, no more ironing the khaki pants and white shirt for away games, no more pregame meals, no more, no more, no more..and graduation looming ever nearer...I'll be thinking of all of you and your husbands too!

Good luck next week Rebels! (I had to say it one last time!) and Morgan Edwards, We love you!!!

Nice post. You summed it up for me. I was thinking all day of what to write. I'll just say, Seniors, thanks for the ride. You're job is done. Best of luck in all that you do from here on. You are prepared. Underclassmen, now you know what it takes. I hope you accept the task. I think you will. Nothing but best wishes to Maryville. Class program! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Congrats to Maryville. Year end to year out, a competitor for the championship. Gotta appreciate Sullivan South. They represented well. Maybe some of these other schools will learn from 'open enrollment'. That is still going on at M'ville isn't it? Good luck!

What do you mean exactly by "open enrollment"? I keep seeing these remarks throughout this thread about Maryville's enrollment. I don't know if you are a SS fan or not, if you are a SS fan, you have a good team, good fans, and a good coach, and these remarks seem to take away from the team and look like sour grapes to me. If you are saying we are cheating, then just come out and say it. Then give us some proof. I don't know about the zoning for Sullivan County schools, but I think you have two city school systems and one county school system-just like Blount County. I bet any city student could go to a county school if they wanted to - just like blount county. It seems that your school system may have a little bit of open enrollment also. Now take advantage of it...winning begets winning.

What do you mean exactly by "open enrollment"? I keep seeing these remarks throughout this thread about Maryville's enrollment. I don't know if you are a SS fan or not, if you are a SS fan, you have a good team, good fans, and a good coach, and these remarks seem to take away from the team and look like sour grapes to me. If you are saying we are cheating, then just come out and say it. Then give us some proof. I don't know about the zoning for Sullivan County schools, but I think you have two city school systems and one county school system-just like Blount County. I bet any city student could go to a county school if they wanted to - just like blount county. It seems that your school system may have a little bit of open enrollment also. Now take advantage of it...winning begets winning.

I would have to look through 43 pages of posts but I believe a SS fan said earlier that they lose students to DB. I believe that means county students going to city school. If that is the definition of open enrollment then, yes, Maryville has that. But with stipulations. There is a five step system for priority to attend Maryville if you live outside the city. The first I believe is that if your parent is a teacher in the system, second is if your parent owns property and pays taxes, and so on. If you are lucky enough to get in from a waiting list of non-residents you then pay tuition to the tune of $1500 p/year. This is because Maryville is graded all A's by the state and is considered one of, if not the top public school in academics. And right now because of current number of students in all the city schools tuition students are next to nothing because of over-crowding. Read the Daily Times last week. The city is looking at spending $45 million dollars over the next several years for building schools just to keep up with the influx of RESIDENTS.

I know this personally because I work for the city, live in the county. My oldest daughter is a junior at Maryville only because her mother has legal custody and lives in the city. My oldest son graduated in 1999 under the same circumstances. My younger children, who live with me, attend county schools. I have nothing against the county shcools, would like to see them go to Maryville, but I can't fork out the $3000 a year to do it, even if I had the money being a city employee would only put me 3rd or 4th on the priority scale.

All that being said, and this topic definitely doesn't fit the purpose of this forum, it was a great game between to very fine teams. Lets not take anything away from that!!!! Best of Luck SS in the future. GO MARYVILLE REBELS, bring another gold ball home.

I would have to look through 43 pages of posts but I believe a SS fan said earlier that they lose students to DB. I believe that means county students going to city school. If that is the definition of open enrollment then, yes, Maryville has that. But with stipulations. There is a five step system for priority to attend Maryville if you live outside the city. The first I believe is that if your parent is a teacher in the system, second is if your parent owns property and pays taxes, and so on. If you are lucky enough to get in from a waiting list of non-residents you then pay tuition to the tune of $1500 p/year. This is because Maryville is graded all A's by the state and is considered one of, if not the top public school in academics. And right now because of current number of students in all the city schools tuition students are next to nothing because of over-crowding. Read the Daily Times last week. The city is looking at spending $45 million dollars over the next several years for building schools just to keep up with the influx of RESIDENTS.

I know this personally because I work for the city, live in the county. My oldest daughter is a junior at Maryville only because her mother has legal custody and lives in the city. My oldest son graduated in 1999 under the same circumstances. My younger children, who live with me, attend county schools. I have nothing against the county shcools, would like to see them go to Maryville, but I can't fork out the $3000 a year to do it, even if I had the money being a city employee would only put me 3rd or 4th on the priority scale.

All that being said, and this topic definitely doesn't fit the purpose of this forum, it was a great game between to very fine teams. Lets not take anything away from that!!!! Best of Luck SS in the future. GO MARYVILLE REBELS, bring another gold ball home.

The tuition has gone up to $2,500 per year for the 2007/2008 school year and some parents keep paying it. I think there are 5 players out of 100 that pay tuition but that number might be incorrect.

The tuition has gone up to $2,500 per year for the 2007/2008 school year and some parents keep paying it. I think there are 5 players out of 100 that pay tuition but that number might be incorrect.

Thanks for the price update, I knew I couldn't afford $1,500 p/child, thats why I haven't checked the price lately. Still would love to send them there. Hoping to get annexed or find something in the city.

And we have another one sports fans crying about the "Rules' of classification and another convinced that the ole' open enrollment are the reasons Maryville is successful. Don't know about that combine thing, but you can think what you want to think. It is one thing to use your other athletes to help you be a winning QB and it is another to carry the ball yourself 85-90% of the time and be a losing QB. Phillips is fine HS QB, but has been able to pad his stats by his system in an easer region and at the next level he might be required to have to pitch it to the RB and pass to that open WR. Mr. Phillips failed to do those things. I don't really care if Burnett is better or not, he and his team are going to play for their 4th State Championship in 4 years because last night he got IT done while CP was not able too. Maryville plays in the Class 4A because that is where the T$$AA has placed them in so your whines and moans should be to them. Call up MR. Carter and cry to him about it or wait till 2009 when you won't have Maryville to worry about. Wonder what the excusses will be then? GEE!

Actually its worst for South. Good prospects that live in Sullivan County frequently go to Dobbins Bennett, so actually South loses players that way. For Maryville its the opposite, they attract the prospects from their county and outlyng areas.

Ha ha ha! That is so funny. DB loses more players to other schools than any other school around. The reason? Because they don't get any playing time and moving to the county schools make them studs. Look at North this year. Heck, look at my 1st cousin back in 98, went from no time on the field to starter. I love how the county schools make false claims like this when it is usually the other way around!

Ha ha ha! That is so funny. DB loses more players to other schools than any other school around. The reason? Because they don't get any playing time and moving to the county schools make them studs. Look at North this year. Heck, look at my 1st cousin back in 98, went from no time on the field to starter. I love how the county schools make false claims like this when it is usually the other way around!

I am talking about the top athelics, they don't need to move to a smaller school to get more playing time. I can say this because my son did it. It was a different sport, but there were several others on the DB team that were also zoned for the county.

As far as the arguement on the quarterbacks goes...they are different styles so its hard to compare. Burnette is good but Curt can pass just as good and run better. This is my guess as to why he is getting more offers than Burnette. The offense in college football is heading in a new direction and anyone who has watched Tebow and the triple option can attest to this.

I heard maryville is getting bumped up to 5A next year because they weren't counting co-op students in their enrollment. Anyone know anything about this?

The whole county players going to city and city going to county is just an arbitrary arguement. If city players go to the county to play its because someone better is already playing in the city. Higher profile players tend to go to the city to get scouting recognition. i.e. Thomas Harrison