Sullivan South v. Maryville

Philster043

And we have another one sports fans crying about the "Rules' of classification and another convinced that the ole' open enrollment are the reasons Maryville is successful. Don't know about that combine thing, but you can think what you want to think. It is one thing to use your other athletes to help you be a winning QB and it is another to carry the ball yourself 85-90% of the time and be a losing QB. Phillips is fine HS QB, but has been able to pad his stats by his system in an easer region and at the next level he might be required to have to pitch it to the RB and pass to that open WR. Mr. Phillips failed to do those things. I don't really care if Burnett is better or not, he and his team are going to play for their 4th State Championship in 4 years because last night he got IT done while CP was not able too. Maryville plays in the Class 4A because that is where the T$$AA has placed them in so your whines and moans should be to them. Call up MR. Carter and cry to him about it or wait till 2009 when you won't have Maryville to worry about. Wonder what the excusses will be then? GEE!

FBE,you make it sound like Phillips is the reason Sullivan South lost to Maryville.

I am sure Curt Phillips is glad the Wisconsin staff thinks more highly of him than you do.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My initial observations on the game which I was fortunate enough to attend. I will admit I am not a frequent visitor to Maryville.

The town - nicer downtown than I expected.

The school enrollment - I was told at the game that M-ville has the highest enrollment in 4A and will certainly move up to 5A in the next reclassification in '09. True?

The stadium - cozy with the potential for an intimidating (for HS) noise level due to the lack of a track. Attendance was announced as ~4400. The crowd seemed larger to me. Parking not good but this is not a surprise for a facility built in the middle of a residential area. Very nice visitor stands. Field - worn out as all fields are this time of year.

The Red Rebels on O - too many weapons for South. Good WR with good speed and routes, great TE who caved in his side of the line, RBs better than expected, O line really stayed on their blocks, great passing QB with good pocket mobility (example the long TD throw in the first half after scramble).

The Red Rebels on D - good closing speed to the ball. Secondary prevented very much separation by South WRs. DE # 81 is a man and the best defensive player on the field.

Special Teams by Red and Blue - ho hum. Not a lot of punts and everyone pouched kickoffs for fair catches. Very conservative approach by both teams. The South fake punt was questionable and ineffective.

The Blue Rebels on O - Phillips is the best the offensive player on the field and the better QB (sorry, M-ville, but there would be no comparison with an equivalent supporting cast). The reverse field for a TD was one of the best HS plays I have seen this year. South WR could not get separation. RBs did well with the chances they got but how much of that is due to the total focus on Phillips by D game planning? Fumble on the 2 in the 3rd Quarter was the game changer. Should have been running the ball the last minute instead of throwing.

The Blue Rebels on D - highlight was the first play pressure of the M-ville QB and the resulting visitor crowd excitement; it went downhill after that. M-ville had a clear game plan to run and throw to their left. South could not really find an answer all night. Was victimized by the long pass in the first half and the run in the second half.

Overall, I thought the game "felt" closer than the score margin. Oh well, it doesn't really matter. Congratulations to M-ville for their outstanding program (the best in the history of TN HS Football) and the chance to win another title next week. Also, congratulations to South for their best season in ~ 15 years.

ET fan - excellent post and I agree with your perspective of the game. On the fumble I also wondered why they tried to pass when it was first and goal at the 7, when they were running the ball so well at that time. That fumble deflated the air out of South. Your right on your classification question. Maryville is actually larger than several 5A schools right now.

I traveled to the game last night, but right after halftime I had to leave, I recieved a phone call and my little brother was in a car accident just right up from the house! He is going to be ok, but recieved some injuries and totaled his blazer...

anyway, congrats to Maryville! good luck to you guys, from what I seen in the game you guys are a class act! I am sure we will be back and look forward to playing you guys again. I am a big fan of playing the best and from what I seen you guys are it! South is also striving for excellence and in my book there is no better way to do it but to play the best teams in the state.

Thanks,

JD

Its not recruiting , it just seems some fathers will let their kids live or use the address of a relative to play for a program or some will even move if there job is located near enough for the drive. Others wwill pay tuition and they probably have high intereest at the feeder programs etc... which does not happen here in the NET. They are in the HOT bed for college prospects and we are in the cold bed....

Actually its worst for South. Good prospects that live in Sullivan County frequently go to Dobbins Bennett, so actually South loses players that way. For Maryville its the opposite, they attract the prospects from their county and outlyng areas.

FBE,you make it sound like Phillips is the reason Sullivan South lost to Maryville.

I am sure Curt Phillips is glad the Wisconsin staff thinks more highly of him than you do.

Sir, I meant no disrespect I just try to talk facts and football. Every young man who plays football has my respect unless they act like a thug or gangster. SS had nothing but Class last night and there is no question Coach Carter is building a quality program. I am sure Mr. Phillips is fine young man and a quality athlete. What I meant to say is CP did not use his other tools (Players) who might have made an impact as well as BB did. Do I think SS would have beat MHS, No but using or allowing others to run or catch the ball might just spread things out and let a kid like CP who is a running threat even more room to make some plays. Maryville proved that CP was not enough to beat them by himself. CP season numbers are impressive but when his number is called 85% of the time they should be. Good luck to Mr. Phillips and Wisconsin should he suit for the Badgers.

I feel pretty good about the way I predicted this game. Phillips made some big plays with his escapability, like I said that he might. And I think it was 83southrebel that said Curt was sneaky fast and thats true. I think because his legs are so powerful he covers a lot of ground with each stride so he doesn't look to be running that fast but I believe that he has 4.55 speed after last night. South did not take a true shot down the field all night and I only remember two passes (the two to Johnson) that Curt even went down the field at all on.

Burnette was the better QUARTERBACK on the field last night. Curt looked more like a running back as he carried the ball 26 time according to the prep xtra. Thats ridiculous. South was running single wing last night. I said that Fletcher would be effective in this game and he wsa impressive last night. He better saddle up for next year.

Nice win Rebs bring another gold ball back to 3-4a

Great game! I have seen maryville play 4 times this year and find myself quickly becoming a fan. For seven dollars you more than get your moneys worth when watching them play. Nothing but respect to sullivan and you have nothing to hang your head over. Last night we got a 2 for 1 deal with burnette and phillips. So many times you hear the hype on players and leave unimpressed but thats not the case with these two. They are two of the best QB's I've seen play. I heard comparisons in style referring to tebow and manning. IMO thats pretty accurrate. Different but both good! Phillips made some great runs and is very hard to tackle. Burnette makes throws you just don't see everyday. He demonstrated his arm on the last minute drive just before the half that was stopped only by a fumble on a reception around the five yard line. However, the play of the game might have been the touchdown he threw to #5 while escaping to his left and throwing against his body. That was big time and at a critical point of the game. The badgers got a good one in phillips. Whoever gets burnette will be fortunate. I would like to see UT get on him. Congrats to both teams and good luck to maryville in the championship!

Burnette is a pretty good QB, but he is lucky enough to be in this system. A very good 5A school playing down to 4A. If your QB is so much better than Phillips why was it when they were both at the same combines this summer, when they seperate the QBs into different groups(The really good ones and the mediocre ones) he was put with latter. He is a pretty good QB, be proud of him but be careful how much you boast.

The boast and the truth is Phillips is a great QB. There is no doubt about that . Burnette is a great QB also and there is no doubt about that either. Playing this ###### for tat who is better game is fun but not very productive.

Now boasting about a QB who leads an undefeated team is expected and Burnette deserves it. No one can take away what he has acomplished this season not even Phillips.The boasting goes to the winner and Burnette is a winner.

Individually Phillips is better but this is a team game and the results of this season speak loudly as to who is the better team QB.That involves more than being the most physically talented which to a great extent cannot be controlled.doing all required of you and playing to your full potential makes the difference.Burnette has a good arm and great accuracy, he throws a catchable ball and throws to the right guy most of the time. He understands the offense and runs it perfectly.The system and schemes are great but it takes the right QB to run it and Burnette is the right one.That is what makes him a great QB and what makes him standout amongst other QB's in the state.

you can take a backhanded slam at Burnette and feel good about Phillips but a great QB is the one who separates himself into the group who is standing on the field at Murfreesboro with a championship. I think if you ask him he would take that over being in a certain group at a combine.If you ask Phillips I think he would take it too.

So yes we all can boast about Burnette and the fact he is the best QB because of where he can take Maryville.That is what a WQB does and if he does his job the best that makes him the best.

Sir, I meant no disrespect I just try to talk facts and football. Every young man who plays football has my respect unless they act like a thug or gangster. SS had nothing but Class last night and there is no question Coach Carter is building a quality program. I am sure Mr. Phillips is fine young man and a quality athlete. What I meant to say is CP did not use his other tools (Players) who might have made an impact as well as BB did. Do I think SS would have beat MHS, No but using or allowing others to run or catch the ball might just spread things out and let a kid like CP who is a running threat even more room to make some plays. Maryville proved that CP was not enough to beat them by himself. CP season numbers are impressive but when his number is called 85% of the time they should be. Good luck to Mr. Phillips and Wisconsin should he suit for the Badgers.

Sir,I hear what you are saying but I respectfully disagree. Sullivan South's offense probably performed better against Maryville's D than any Maryville opponent all year and Phillips deserves a lot of the credit for that. I think offensively they were fine. Sullivan South's offense wasn't the problem, they simply couldn't stop Maryville on defense. Maryville simply had too many weapons and "out athleted" SS pretty much everywhere else on the field. Burnette does indeed do a good job of spreading the wealth.

Also, I am not quite sure what to make of your ".... should he suit for the Badgers" comment . What in the heck is that supposed to mean? I read on tri-Cities Sports.com this morning that Phillips plans to graduate early and enroll at Wisconsin in time for spring practice. Do you know something everybody else doesn't? Otherwise, that is a pretty snide comment, imo.

Sir,I hear what you are saying but I respectfully disagree. Sullivan South's offense probably performed better against Maryville's D than any Maryville opponent all year and Phillips deserves a lot of the credit for that. I think offensively they were fine. Sullivan South's offense wasn't the problem, they simply couldn't stop Maryville on defense. Maryville simply had too many weapons and "out athleted" SS pretty much everywhere else on the field. Burnette does indeed do a good job of spreading the wealth.

Also, I am not quite sure what to make of your ".... should he suit for the Badgers" comment . What in the heck is that supposed to mean? I read on tri-Cities Sports.com this morning that Phillips plans to graduate early and enroll at Wisconsin in time for spring practice. Do you know something everybody else doesn't? Otherwise, that is a pretty snide comment, imo.

Just a phrase. To say suit it means to play to me. The fact is the majority of HS athletes who sign with a college, especially at the D1 level, never get to play. Many things can hinder a kids chance to play for the school signed he with. It's a job at that level, not just a fun game. He is doing the right thing in getting ready for the spring practice and I hope he does well, truly. Every kid who can play at the big time D1 level helps to make East Tennessee HS football more respectable, as it really should be. Good luck to the young man and his family.

Burnette is a pretty good QB, but he is lucky enough to be in this system. A very good 5A school playing down to 4A. If your QB is so much better than Phillips why was it when they were both at the same combines this summer, when they seperate the QBs into different groups(The really good ones and the mediocre ones) he was put with latter. He is a pretty good QB, be proud of him but be careful how much you boast.

Maryville doesn't make it to Murfreesboro without Burnett. Burnett makes all the throws. He keeps his composure. He has good pocket awareness. He reads defenses very well. He is a great quarterback and a winner. Don't think for a minute he doesn't make those other players better. He also has a chance to put a 4th ring on his fingers.

lol @ all the burnett hate. he's a great qb. Peyton Manning has a great system and supporting staff around him but i guess he's just lucky to be in it. same with Brady right?

Curt is also a good qb. nothing wrong with saying they both are excellent players.

good luck to Curt and Brent in the future. they both did their schools proud as far as i'm concerned.