Sullivan South v. Maryville

Philster043

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This kind of comment isn't really necessary. Anybody with eyes can see that Burnett's supporting cast is vastly superior to that of Curt Phillips. I would say Phillips would function pretty well if he had the same opportunity as Burnette to run GQ's offense.

Just about any decent QB would be ok if they were surrounded with Maryville's players and coaching staff... but all that aside, Congrats to Maryville and good luck next week in Murfreesboro

This kind of comment isn't really necessary. Anybody with eyes can see that Burnett's supporting cast is vastly superior to that of Curt Phillips. I would say Phillips would function pretty well if he had the same opportunity as Burnette to run GQ's offense.

Just about any decent QB would be ok if they were surrounded with Maryville's players and coaching staff... but all that aside, Congrats to Maryville and good luck next week in Murfreesboro

Geez people get their feelings hurt easily. I made the comment because Phillips is obviously USED as a runningback primarily and I said he was the best one on the field. SS did not throw the ball down field once even when it was 41-14. The second td by SS was all athleticism by Phillips. Maryville had him hemmed in on the far right, he reversed his field and out ran everyone twenty yards to the endzone. Number 15 was a good runningback and 11 and a couple of others seemed to have ability at receiver. When two out of every four plays is the quarterback rolling right or left and obviously looking to run the supporting cast is pretty much taken out of the equation. JMO, no offense intended.

This kind of comment, is the absolute truth.

Yeah it was ok for Phillips to be heralded as Tim Tebow all week but poor old Brent is just a "decent" quarterback who is lucky enough to play in Maryville's system. When he was flushed out of the pocket and stopped on a dime to "flick" a perfect 50 yard strike to Jordan for the touchdown, rolled right, then threw it back left, a thirty yard strike to clenndennen in the end zone, and the post route with the play fake and perfect 63 yard bomb to Clendennen. I'd say those were all "decent" plays. Funny thing is, calling Burnette a "decent" quarterback produced by the system is much more of an insult than what I said about Curt.

If anyone has them I would love to see the stats from tonight. very impressed with Phillips he was all that was advertised on the run and you are right they didn't throw it down field all night. It seemed to me they ask to much from him i.e. Saftey, returning kicks, I mean the only time the kid wasn't on the field was on the kickoff team.

First congrats to Maryville; they were the better team.

Second, Burnette is a great QB no doubt. Maybe someone said otherwise but I don't remember. Curt is a great talent as well. But don't lie to yourself and think Maryville did not have the dominant defense, speed, strength, lines, wideouts, depth, etc. Nothing taken away from Burnette, but when your oline dominates, your receivers dominate, what do think happens. Not to mention Maryville's defense was dominating South all the way around and blankenting the South receivers with superior talent and speed.

Sullivan South fans should be very proud of their team - that was clearly a tough little team. Phillips was a terror running with the ball (I can definitely see the Tim Tebow comparisons), and he even passed the ball well too when he had to - and for a kid playing nearly every snap through the whole game, that's just admirable toughness. Their other running backs and OL did very well.

But I continue to be vastly impressed with Burnette's arm - he's just fun to watch when he throws the ball. Go Maryville. Next up, Maplewood, it seems. I thought we were going to play Henry Co. until I got home and found out Maplewood had pulled one out 36-35 in overtime, nice job Maplewood. We'll see ya next Saturday.

I thought it was pretty a fair comment. How would anyone know if SS's susporting cast could have made a difference? SS could have been called the Curt Phillips show. When SS did allow some of their athlets to touch the ball they made some impact. Kitzmiler & Columbo (SP) seemed to be outstanding athletes, but got little chance to contribute in my opinion. No way a one man show is going to take Maryville down and that is pretty much what SS was by choice. Phillips is a good HS QB but there have been many as good or even better who have played for and against MHS the past few years in my opinion. I would think Wisconson will want more than 86 yards in a game from a QB. Maybe CP ran and pased wildly up there in NET, but around the knoxville area and vs. MHS that is just not going to happen. Toward the end of the 4th qtr it looked as if there was some stat padding going on. SS should have let some of their young kids play during the 4th qte when MHS clearly had the game in hand.

Nonetheless SS you showed class and respect and are a good team but not a championship team at least this year. Thanks for showing the class and good luck next time. I hope all had a safe drive home.

Congratz Maryville, you earned it so enjoy it tonight. Then tommorw we focus on the Burro yet again.

Geez people get their feelings hurt easily. I made the comment because Phillips is obviously USED as a runningback primarily and I said he was the best one on the field. SS did not throw the ball down field once even when it was 41-14. The second td by SS was all athleticism by Phillips. Maryville had him hemmed in on the far right, he reversed his field and out ran everyone twenty yards to the endzone. Number 15 was a good runningback and 11 and a couple of others seemed to have ability at receiver. When two out of every four plays is the quarterback rolling right or left and obviously looking to run the supporting cast is pretty much taken out of the equation. JMO, no offense intended.

Thanks for clarifying that you were complimenting Phillips for his ability as a runner, not demeaning his ability as a qb.

Obviously, Burnette and Phillips are different types of qb's that are both very successful high school players. Burnette is much better than "decent" as you stated; he is very, very good.

IMO, I think Phillips was slightly more impressive than Burnette tonight, though not by a whole lot. The 27 point differential came as a result of a much stronger Maryville team at the other positions.

Phillips is a good HS QB but there have been many as good or even better who have played for and against MHS the past few years in my opinion.

Phillips is better than good... with the numbers he has put up, he should be Tennessee AAAA Mr. Football.

I would be curious as to the "many" you thought were as good or better qb's that have played for and against Maryville in the last few years. I can think of maybe three: Randall Cobb, Cade Thompson, and Brent Burnette.

Phillips is better than good... with the numbers he has put up, he should be Tennessee AAAA Mr. Football.

I would be curious as to the "many" you thought were as good or better qb's that have played for and against Maryville in the last few years. I can think of maybe three: Randall Cobb, Cade Thompson, and Brent Burnette.

Toki McCray, Giles and Jason Phillips were pretty good for Maryville in the recent past.

Reguards to the Board,

Mapp