Red Boiling Springs--Coach Boles 0-50!

gmfatf5

I'm not going to say a great deal about the subject of "little league", but..... I played little league football at Marion County with the same group of kids who stayed together and played junior high together, and then became the first team from Marion Coutny High to advance to the state championship in 1982, then again in 1985. We stayed together; all of us year end and year out. We ran the exact offense and defense as the high school. We didn't just pitch to the fastest kid. We ran the veer ( multiple option). When we got to the high school level, we could run the scheme in our sleep. Take it for what it's worth 20+ years coach, but with the right people in charge.... it can be VERY benificial. In your defense, however, I have seen it run the wrong way in other communities where adult egos get in the way. Just my 2 cents.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. So you are saying the "preamble" of Pop Warner is followed to the letter. You and I know different. Inject Daddies into it and that is out the window. I know the goals, Einstein. Goals are what is meant to be accomplished.

2. What is meant to be accomplished and what actually is are two different things. Whether you believe I am discrediting the program or not doesn't change the fact that in most cases in Jr. Pro. one or two kids stand out by running all over or all around the rest and the others are hopping around doing nothing. Now, you can take that as blatantly antagonistic or you can take a true look at what your experience with youth league football is. Tell me that you don't see the same thing happening as with ripken league baseball or any other comparable league.

3. Of course, as someone who has worked with young people, I firmly believe in the "letter of the law" as far as the ideals of Pop Warner football. It is just that there are few people (men - Daddies) who can remove themselves from their glory days long enough to objectively put themselves into a place where they see the forest instead of their son the tree. I would love for kids as young as 9-10 to be involved in a positive, worthwhile activity that would subliminally (forgive the spelling if it is incorrect) prepare them for the high school football experience. However, I just have not seen it happen to this point. Perhaps you live in a community of elevated thinkers that understand the greater good over the glory of the individual ego. If so, I commend you on being part of something positive and standing up graciously for that in which you take part.

4. The mark of an enlightened thinker is to accept the possibility that he/she is wrong and the willingness to change the direction of their thought. I am certainly willing to do this, but there has been no Jr. Pro. football program in central West Tennessee that has done anything to allow me to deviate from my previous evaluation.

When I (Justin Sims #59,G/DT-GVILLE) started jr.pro, i was 6 and we went undefeated and ended up having to play 11-12 yr olds for competition and we still won.Does that help ya deviate from your evaluation? 6 of my fellow teammates were seniors with me this year.3 of which have been named all-upper cumberland, myself included. Granted at 6 my attention span was 30 seconds, when i played it was to have organized fun.Plain and simple,so before you go downing pee wee you might need to actually check the quality players that played then compared to those who didnt.I believe you will find that the athletes who did play are more well-rounded players as opposed to those who didnt.Individual ego has nothing to do with football at any level.As an educated man i thought you would know that.Football is founded on team ethics,

Together

Everyone

Achieves

More

This is the preamble of the sport of football, if followed success will follow, if not it will be a downward spiral. I want you to correct me if i am wrong on this.

1. So you are saying the "preamble" of Pop Warner is followed to the letter. You and I know different. Inject Daddies into it and that is out the window. I know the goals, Einstein. Goals are what is meant to be accomplished.

2. What is meant to be accomplished and what actually is are two different things. Whether you believe I am discrediting the program or not doesn't change the fact that in most cases in Jr. Pro. one or two kids stand out by running all over or all around the rest and the others are hopping around doing nothing. Now, you can take that as blatantly antagonistic or you can take a true look at what your experience with youth league football is. Tell me that you don't see the same thing happening as with ripken league baseball or any other comparable league.

3. Of course, as someone who has worked with young people, I firmly believe in the "letter of the law" as far as the ideals of Pop Warner football. It is just that there are few people (men - Daddies) who can remove themselves from their glory days long enough to objectively put themselves into a place where they see the forest instead of their son the tree. I would love for kids as young as 9-10 to be involved in a positive, worthwhile activity that would subliminally (forgive the spelling if it is incorrect) prepare them for the high school football experience. However, I just have not seen it happen to this point. Perhaps you live in a community of elevated thinkers that understand the greater good over the glory of the individual ego. If so, I commend you on being part of something positive and standing up graciously for that in which you take part.

4. The mark of an enlightened thinker is to accept the possibility that he/she is wrong and the willingness to change the direction of their thought. I am certainly willing to do this, but there has been no Jr. Pro. football program in central West Tennessee that has done anything to allow me to deviate from my previous evaluation.

voodoo I'm just a regular guy from a blue collar community. I'm not perfect and I'm not trying to be. Like you said, we both know that we don't live in a perfect world. The community I live in has daddies just like you're talking about but they also have a lot of daddies that do follow the "letter of the law". Those same daddies that you talk about don't change when there sons get older...they do the same thing at the Jr. High & High school level too. It's just more noticeable at the Jr. Pro level because the crowd is usually just mommas and daddies. We don't shut down those programs because of the daddies so why stop the Jr. Pro system? As several people have posted on here, Jr. Pro has benefited a lot of people, including myself. I'm not saying it's the end-all-be-all to RBS's losing streak but from my point of view it would certainly help (regardless of what kind of daddies get involved).

How did this thread asking the status of Red Boiling Sprs. football turn into a debate about jr pro fball? Get off of my post and start your own topic! FWIW, I think jr pro is good if run right--no crazy coaches. Still I ask, Is there anyone out there from RBS with some inside info on 0-50 Coach Boles and will he be fired or resign or should they just scrap the program? So far, looks like I was right about the lack of support...not even one RBS supporter has posted any comments. Do they have the internet over there yet?

I cannot understand where the idea that a feeder program before middle school is pointless actually makes sense. Maybe it's because I have seen the opposite, in more sports than just football. Look at 2 of the more successful programs in the state. Alcoa and Maryville. Both have feeder programs and both have the rings and the history. The kids start young into a system and the coaching is consistent. The MS runs the majority of plays that they will use in HS. Feeder programs are a must for almost any sport. A non football example would be wrestling. I started in 8th grade. Alcoa had no feeder program whatsoever. Barely had a team. I wrestled through high school and numerous coaches all with a different style. All good coaches but no consistency. Overcoming the experience gap was a chore in many aspects considering others had 5 or more years experience on me. Alcoa lacked the wrestling feeder program. When I graduated Alcoa and went to wrestle for Maryville College but got injured both seasons so I gave my newly acquired free time to the Alcoa MS program that needed a coach, trying to continue the young program. I did that to help what I felt was necessary. While coaching them I was able to watch the elementary kids wrestle as well and learn the basics. The 2nd year coaching kids that were in the elementary program were already a step ahead of others just starting at a young age. The MS kids that went to high school are also better prepared. The wrestling team is not dominant yet but it is growing. It took a feeder program to get things improving. I know wrestling and football are not the same but I know for a fact that learning the basics early gives the kids a step up. I have dealt with overbearing dads as well but it doesn't matter the age or sport on that one. I have only heard about RBS losing streak but I also hear the kids stick with it. If they stick with it then they deserve a coach to give them his all. They need a feeder program to get them ready. If the players have the will then they deserve all the opportunities. I hope to hear some positive news from the program next year.

I know nothing about the politics of the program, remember this is just one Alcoa fans opinion. Maybe I am biased towards feeder programs. Just can't see how they would hurt.

How did this thread asking the status of Red Boiling Sprs. football turn into a debate about jr pro fball? Get off of my post and start your own topic! FWIW, I think jr pro is good if run right--no crazy coaches. Still I ask, Is there anyone out there from RBS with some inside info on 0-50 Coach Boles and will he be fired or resign or should they just scrap the program? So far, looks like I was right about the lack of support...not even one RBS supporter has posted any comments. Do they have the internet over there yet?

LOL, well, they do have internet in RBS, but they don't post on here very much, even during

the season. Like you, I would like to hear some "good" inside opinions as to what needs to

be done there. We (TC) played them the last game of the season. These guys played hard,

didn't quit. They seemed to me to be just a few steps away from being a different team. I'm

definitely no expert or coach, but I believe if they had more good asst. coaches to work

with these guys on a closer level they would get some assignments, etc. down better. A

coach only has so much time to spend in practice. I think they are just spread too thin.

This may come down to not enough money to hire asst. coaches.

I just see potential there that's not getting out.

Why would he be fired? He is in a community with no expectations. He is in probably the most competitive 1A region in the state. He coaches at the smallest school in the region with the exception of the private school. It sounds like you have an agenda against this guy. I know nothing about him but you will not get a good coach to come there the way things are now.

I am surprised this thread has not been shut down as of yet.

Noting that the OP is under a new name with only 5 posts this just looks like another troll. However, I will give my take on this since I am somewhat familiar with that area...The problem is simple.

Politics.

There is no support from the county BOE for anything at RBS. None at all...and it is because there are factions in the main part of the county that want to absorb RBS into MCHS...primairialy for control reasons. This county is filled with power freaks that happen to be on polar opposite sides of the community spectrum; and as usual, they tend to destroy anything that is good up there. RBS always gets leftovers; and it is usually after getting on their knees to the powers that be in Lafayette.

All you have to do is go back to the threads earlier on this year concerning Tiger football. There are some folks up there that frankly dererved to be horse-whipped for what they do to the kids in the name of 'having control'; and it is the same forces that keep RBS down. It is not the coaches' fault; I just believe that it is the atmosphere fostered by the history of the county and the power structure (and behaviors of the people supposedly in power)in place.

Some places can support football, others cannot.

I cannot understand where the idea that a feeder program before middle school is pointless actually makes sense. Maybe it's because I have seen the opposite, in more sports than just football. Look at 2 of the more successful programs in the state. Alcoa and Maryville. Both have feeder programs and both have the rings and the history. The kids start young into a system and the coaching is consistent. The MS runs the majority of plays that they will use in HS. Feeder programs are a must for almost any sport.

I agree. South Pittsburg's feeder program is second to none...especially for a small (240 students) school.. This year the 7-8 YO and 9-10 YO teams both had winning records, the 11-12 YO team went 10-0 winning their conference championship and the Jr High went 9-0 and won our conference championship. All the teams run the same (although watered down) version of the HS offense. Now the HS is 13-0 and playing in the Semis with with kids that for most part played together from 7-8 on up.

Even if the father-coaches are not great football minds the kids learn to hit and be hit and learn some fundamentals. I am an assistant on the JR High and I can tell you from first hand experience there is a huge difference between kids coming up from Little League and kids playing for their first time as 7th graders. A good, well supported feeder program is a must have to be successful year in and year out. Our little league even holds their games on our HS field...that tells you how important the program is to our coaches

I am surprised this thread has not been shut down as of yet.

Noting that the OP is under a new name with only 5 posts this just looks like another troll. However, I will give my take on this since I am somewhat familiar with that area...The problem is simple.

Politics.

There is no support from the county BOE for anything at RBS. None at all...and it is because there are factions in the main part of the county that want to absorb RBS into MCHS...primairialy for control reasons. This county is filled with power freaks that happen to be on polar opposite sides of the community spectrum; and as usual, they tend to destroy anything that is good up there. RBS always gets leftovers; and it is usually after getting on their knees to the powers that be in Lafayette.

All you have to do is go back to the threads earlier on this year concerning Tiger football. There are some folks up there that frankly dererved to be horse-whipped for what they do to the kids in the name of 'having control'; and it is the same forces that keep RBS down. It is not the coaches' fault; I just believe that it is the atmosphere fostered by the history of the county and the power structure (and behaviors of the people supposedly in power)in place.

Some places can support football, others cannot.

If you remember, during the "Tigers" threads, I said the same thing. Politics, pure & simple.

Always has been that way....not going to change. I was born / raised in the Siloam community.

Went to school there 12 yrs. Same situation on the West end of the county as RBS. Leftovers,

if anything. Power brokers running the school & everything else, BOE, etc. I feel for the kids in

RBS. They decide who plays in MCHS....coach complains...he's gone.....team loses games.

Lafayette deserves to lose....unfortunately, the kids that go out for football, get the short end.

It's no big secret...not just an opinion.

just want to let people on this web site in on a few things about RBS football. fisrt of all we don't know at this point what is going to happen with Tony Boles but I can tell you that some things are being worked on before next year. As far as support the RBS Bulldogs have more support than you are aware of. We have a lot of things being put in to place but at this time cannot be discussed. We will let you all know what is going on as soon as we can. Most of the football players are getting really excited about next year. They are working on some things and are hoping for major changes which I think is going to happen. These guys do have more heart than you can imagine and only time will tell as to how they do next season. The one thing I can tell you is the program at RBS is going to change. The parental involvement is overwhelming and they are ready to make people from this area and surrounding counties aware that they exist and are very proud of being an RBS BULLDOG. The boys do want change they want to be conditioned and they also want discipline and right now for some of them they are getting just that and are already seeing a big difference. People from this area should see a great deal of difference in these guys next year. If you ask most of the people from this area what needs to be done the one thing you hear is 'YALL NEED A NEW COACH' Only time will tell as to what will happen but I really do think change is in the air and people here are doing things to make that happen.