TSSAA

the prophet

After reading the article in the Tennessean this morning about the mid-staters upset about having to travel two years in a row in the semi-finals, I am under the assumption that they did not think it wrong at all that region 3, and 7 could never host all 4 rounds before this year. I hate that anyone has been done wrong for 1 year while the above mentioned regions have not had the same oppurtunities for several years. Everybody wants to play at home, and no matter how the TSSAA did it, some one would be on here belly aching about it being the wrong way. Well they have tried to do the right thing, the fair thing and people still complain because they did not get it their way. I personally have benefitted from the change, so naturally I would be in favor of it, however had I been on the other side, although it would make me a little upset that my team had to travel two years in a row for the semis, I would know that it was the right thing to do with crappy timing. I think the TSSAA gets a bad wrap all of the time for decisions made or not made but this was mande in 2005 and it was a good decision by the TSSAA.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Advisor

After reading the article in the Tennessean this morning about the mid-staters upset about having to travel two years in a row in the semi-finals, I am under the assumption that they did not think it wrong at all that region 3, and 7 could never host all 4 rounds before this year. I hate that anyone has been done wrong for 1 year while the above mentioned regions have not had the same oppurtunities for several years. Everybody wants to play at home, and no matter how the TSSAA did it, some one would be on here belly aching about it being the wrong way. Well they have tried to do the right thing, the fair thing and people still complain because they did not get it their way. I personally have benefitted from the change, so naturally I would be in favor of it, however had I been on the other side, although it would make me a little upset that my team had to travel two years in a row for the semis, I would know that it was the right thing to do with crappy timing. I think the TSSAA gets a bad wrap all of the time for decisions made or not made but this was mande in 2005 and it was a good decision by the TSSAA.

The Prophet is the "right on the money" Prophet! Mid-staters seem to have the attitude that since the State Championships are played in the Mid-state, the entire state's focal point should remain there when in reality, SOME of the Volunteer State's best high school football lies at its far extremities! Greenville, Sullivan South, Knoxville West, Oak Ridge, Maryville, Alcoa, Red Bank, Bearden, Morristown West all play wonderful football in the East! Christian Brothers, Melrose, Mitchell, Fairley, Millington, Germantown, Arlington, Brighton, Munford all play at a high level in the West! These teams have the same right to host semi-final rounds as do the Mid-state teams! Wonderful post Mr. Prophet!

Couldn't they changed it to-- if Regions 3 and 7 are in the semifinals this year--they host. If Regions 4 and 8 are in the semifinals this year--they are on the road like it should be.

Guest Advisor

Why not do like Ohio and play the East Tennesse semi-final games in Chattanooga or Knoxville and the West/Middle Tennessee semi finals in Memphis, Jackson or Nashville?

Why? All that does is waste TSSAA money. They would have to pay for the use of the facilities, light bill, concessions......etc. Just because a Mid-state team has to travel to Memphis or Knoxville, so be it! I have NEVER heard of the Far East or the Far West teams complain when they travel to Williamson, Davidson, or Rutherford Counties!

Tennessean article is overblown. Home field is nice but not important in High School Football as college games. The best team will win regardless of site if the playing field is in good shape and weather conditions are decent. I would think most coaches in the playoffs would have a mentality to play a game at any place at any time.

If you're in the playoff, the road trip can be fantastic memory for the comradeship with player, family, and fans making the trip. The trip back after winning on the road is unforgettable experience for all that will last for years. Since I never experience a loosing playoff road trip but had the winning experience of being at home for semifinal and on the road in Memphis at White Station for semifinal at an opponents home field, the Memphis trip will always be remember because of the fun occurred getting, during, and going home after the game.

Guest Advisor

I think that TSSAA should without fail schedule all semi-final games on a neutral field to both games. No teams should have home field advantage at this level, it just ain't fair!!!!!!!

The "FAIR" is in August!

Couldn't they changed it to-- if Regions 3 and 7 are in the semifinals this year--they host. If Regions 4 and 8 are in the semifinals this year--they are on the road like it should be.

As it is, 2 out of 4 years a region has the oppurtunity to host the semi final game, they simly have to win their first 3 games on those years.

Last year for example was region 8s year to host, Henry county went to 1 seeded Melrose from region 8 in the second round and won so because we came out of that braket (after traveling to Memphis to play at a hostile orange mound, the better team prevailed) and got to host the semis, It was not region 7s year last year but the best in region 7 beat the best in region 8 and so we took advantage of region 8s oppurtunity to host. That is why Henry county got to host 2 years in a row. We did have to travle last year before the semis.

These neutral sites that were mentioned, it would be much more complicated than what you make it sound, would school A have to drive 123 miles why school B had to travel 31 miles, advantage school A. Home field advantage is not the problem that you all are discussing, but the location and how far one team and their fans have to travel. If the neutral site is not of equal distance from each school, it is not so neutral.

And, although I would love to accomodate all football fans, if one team is at home, their will be a bigger crowd, True fans travel 30, 60, 90, 120 miles, the distance matters not, If one team is at home the crowd will be larger. Why would I want to play a football game in COlumbia if I was not from COlumbia so that the people of Columbia could watch my team play. I would not and they would not care.

Why not do like Ohio and play the East Tennesse semi-final games in Chattanooga or Knoxville and the West/Middle Tennessee semi finals in Memphis, Jackson or Nashville?

I totally agree. I think the first 2 rounds in Ohio are played with home-field advantage, but the regional finals, state semis, and state finals are all played on neutral fields. They are able to do it in Ohio because they play Division II, III, and V playoff games on Friday nights, and Division I, IV, and VI games on Saturday night. Ohio also has a number of large stadiums to play in as well (Nippert Stadium and Paul Brown Stadium in Cincinnati, Dayton Welcome Stadium, Crew Stadium and Ohio Stadium in Columbus, Paul Brown Stadium in Massillon, Canton Fawcett Stadium, Akron's Rubber Bowl, Toledo's Glass Bowl, etc). Tennessee would probably only be able to have semi-final games on a neutral field if they wanted to. I don't know if we have the facilities to accommodate that many more games at large neutral stadiums here.