What the heck is a "level playing field"

Baldcoach

Actually, Goodpasture wasn't playing up into 2A pre-multiplier--they were a natural 2A (at the very bottom of the list). Also, the new schools are likely to have a fairly substantial impact--figure Signal Mountain and East Brainerd to go into 2A, Red Bank to drop to 3A (that's where Signal Mountain will pull from), and Ooltewah could be cut to 4A size by the losses to East Brainerd. No clue on how big Cane Ridge will be, but likely Antioch will stay in 5A (you could make two big 4A's out of their enrollment). Unlikely that Nashville Middle College or Big Picture will have football--will be interesting to see who they co-op with (Middle College is in the Hillsboro zone near the Hillwood boundary, and Big Picture is deep in the Hillwood zone, but both of those already have co-op partners--Hillwood with Hume-Fogg and Hillsboro with MLK, including the Royals' all-sports co-op with the School of the Arts).

Ah, let me correct myself (and nice catch). Goodpasture was a natural 2A for the 2001-2005 classification years - I believe one of the last 3 to 5 teams in. Historically before that, they played up in 2A with 1A numbers - including 1995 and 1999 when they were state champs.

My understanding on Cane Ridge is that is is going to be HUGE. Antioch could use some serious relief as well as Overton and McGavock - the three schools that will see a decent shift. I believe they will all stay in 5A size-wise. Cane Ridge will be very nice and very well could be a power within a few years of existence too.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As we all know Ronnie Carter is FROM A PRIVATE SCHOOL!!! So naturally he's going to say it hasn't worked because Goodpasture CAN'T BEAT ALCOA in 2A and they can't win in 3A so he's going to put them back in 1A? How fair is that? Carter is looking out for GOODPASTURE and ONLY GOODPASTURE and the other PRIVATES! The public school system needs a voice of reason in TSSAA. No way Ronnie Carter should be given carte blanche to do however he see's fit just because GOODPASTURE can't win a state championship in 2A. Who else makes these decisions besides Carter?

Are you serious??? Do you really think (incorrectly) Ronnie Carter is a Goodpasture alum???

FYI, Ronnie Carter does not make classification decisions. Those decisions are made by the TSSAA Board of Control, currently comprised of nine public school principals. I somehow doubt that they are just looking out for Goodpasture and other private schools.

Are you sure RC is from a private school? I would guess he graduated from HS somewhere in the 1960's. That would mean that his possible pool of private schools from which to graduate would be much smaller. I also think his children went to a public school and I believe his son teaches/coaches at a public school also. I'm not disputing your information, I just don't know for sure.

I could be wrong on this one i must be thinking of the wrong guy. Either way it doesn't change things, it is what it is. privates have an unfair advantage of MOST of the public athletic programs.

Goodpasture will probably be close. The more schools larger than Goodpasture starting teams, the better chance they'd be in 1A and I've read there will probably be at least five or six. This is all depending on whether the multiplier is removed or not, which is just speculation right now. I don't know if Carter favors private schools necessarily, I think he would just like a return to the old ways with no divisions, just classifications with everyone including Brentwood Academy, etc, back together.

Goodpasture will probably be close. The more schools larger than Goodpasture starting teams, the better chance they'd be in 1A and I've read there will probably be at least five or six. This is all depending on whether the multiplier is removed or not, which is just speculation right now. I don't know if Carter favors private schools necessarily, I think he would just like a return to the old ways with no divisions, just classifications with everyone including Brentwood Academy, etc, back together.

I don't think that is going to happen (doing away with DII). He said that himself. It will be interesting to see what does happen.

http://www.ontheballmag.com/headlines.cfm?m=2&a=203

an interesting article...the original decision to form D2 follows, by all accounts, a secret meeting put together by the Riverdale principal and 26 other public high school principals following the 1995 Clinic Bowl. I can understand why RC wishes he could do all of this over again.

"We had to look at what was best for our schools," Goodwin (DCA) said. "We want to try and remain in with everybody. (In Division II) with only one class in the all the other sports besides football, we weren??™t going to put all our other sports in that situation.

"We made the decision to stay in DI, and we felt like that was for the best."

I still think that was done on purpose, having no more than one class in basketball and other non-football sports, in order to frighten schools away from joining Division II.

I don't think it will happen either, but I think he'd want that to happen. Removing the multiplier may be as close as gets to the old days and I think that would suit him fine.

How can Ronnie Carter say that there isn't a cry for a total split with a straight face? How could he ever put everyone back into 1 division? Now that would be totally insane and unfair in "TODAYS" game. Its totally different than in the past. The game has evolved so much even in just the past 10 years. The "privates" are more prevelant than ever and it would be a case of "the rich gettting richer". No way you could put teams like Brentwood Aca that openly recruit against the smaller county schools it would just not be fair to the kids. How does Carter get to be the one to decide this anyways? /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

http://www.ontheballmag.com/headlines.cfm?m=2&a=203

an interesting article...the original decision to form D2 follows, by all accounts, a secret meeting put together by the Riverdale principal and 26 other public high school principals following the 1995 Clinic Bowl. I can understand why RC wishes he could do all of this over again.

D2 should be meant for all privates not just for teams like yours (MBA) and BA that openly recruit players from ALL over the state and country. It would be an absolute travesty if RC did it any other way than put ALL the privates in together!

D2 should be meant for all privates not just for teams like yours (MBA) and BA that openly recruit players from ALL over the state and country. It would be an absolute travesty if RC did it any other way than put ALL the privates in together!

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

How can Ronnie Carter say that there isn't a cry for a total split with a straight face? How could he ever put everyone back into 1 division? Now that would be totally insane and unfair in "TODAYS" game. Its totally different than in the past. The game has evolved so much even in just the past 10 years. The "privates" are more prevelant than ever and it would be a case of "the rich gettting richer". No way you could put teams like Brentwood Aca that openly recruit against the smaller county schools it would just not be fair to the kids. How does Carter get to be the one to decide this anyways? /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Carter doesn't decide...read the other posts.

Are you implying that the game "evolving so much..." is what makes the privates "more prevalent"? If so, couldn't the publics evolve too?