What the heck is a "level playing field"

Baldcoach

Baldcoach your question is complex. I do not think that the best school at every level in the state is public as you stated. But I see your reasoning on the 5A schools that come in and have the quick ability to do well. First, I think that usually the 5A western bracket (that includes the schools gaining quick attention) is an easier path in the playoffs. The eastern bracket has Murfreesboro, Chattanooga, Knoxville, etc while the west has Memphis and Williamson County. The East bracket wins most of the time because it has about double the amount of solid teams. Second, Williamson County is probably the best area to be a new team to be born because parental involvement and money help; no denying that and no county in the state can come close to what Williamson has in the way of money and people that have money. Williamson County is the closest thing to a public being private that there is. This being the reason that Ravenwood, etc. can rise to a high level so fast.

Bud,

If we look at the last 3 years (since the multiplier was put in) then the three best 1a schools in the state are FCA, South Pitt, and TC. Last year South Pitt was by far the best 1a team in the state and also easily one of the best 2 or 3a teams.

In 2a Alcoa dominates. But the second best team (going by how they did vs Alcoa...not scientific to say the least) for 2 of the 3 years wasn't Goodpasture who played in title game from the West, but 2 public schools that Alcoa eliminated on the way to the title.

In 3a you have Fulton. It could be argued that DLHS is as good (they won this year) and to be fair Knox Catholic gives Fulton all they can handle every year, but Fulton is the multiple title winner.

But you are correct, given another set of criteria an argument could be made that there are some elite privates that are about as good as the best publics. Even so my argument stands. Because if the privates have so many non-overcomable advantages vs. the publics, it should be plainly obvious that the best 2 or 3 teams in the state in 1a - 3a are private. Instead we are debating whether there are any privates who are anywhere near the best publics. Just looking at that discussion, what conclusion do you think someone who was from another country would come to if asked who had the advantages in Tennessee High School Football?

The argument gets much less conclusive if you look at the 10 years before the multiplier, but since we do have the multiplier, those who are arguing for the split are essentially arguing that since the multiplier the small privates have still dominated. With 7 of 9 state winners in 1-3a being public I'm thinking that conclusion must be biased.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats 5A , it's supposed to be easier to get athletes and solid fascilities quicker when you have 2,000 students. Show me a public school with less than 200 students (like grace) that has built solid programs in BOTH football and basketball in that small amount of time.

Is it supposed to be easier to get athletes and solid facilities quicker at 5A schools. You may want to ask McGavock about that.

You may also want to doublecheck Alcoa out. Along with Maryville, they've had the most ridiculous streak of dominance of all time in TN.

General statements like yours above aren't necessarily true - sometimes not even close. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

What has been posted many times?

The advantage that the privates have that no public has and can't be overcome??

The advantage private schools have over public schools has been posted many times. You choose not to see or hear.

It's not a question of what public school can overcome those advantages. It's a question of public versus private schools as a class. Should the two be separated for the playoffs? Yes...they should.

Bud,

If we look at the last 3 years (since the multiplier was put in) then the three best 1a schools in the state are FCA, South Pitt, and TC. Last year South Pitt was by far the best 1a team in the state and also easily one of the best 2 or 3a teams.

In 2a Alcoa dominates. But the second best team (going by how they did vs Alcoa...not scientific to say the least) for 2 of the 3 years wasn't Goodpasture who played in title game from the West, but 2 public schools that Alcoa eliminated on the way to the title.

In 3a you have Fulton. It could be argued that DLHS is as good (they won this year) and to be fair Knox Catholic gives Fulton all they can handle every year, but Fulton is the multiple title winner.

But you are correct, given another set of criteria an argument could be made that there are some elite privates that are about as good as the best publics. Even so my argument stands. Because if the privates have so many non-overcomable advantages vs. the publics, it should be plainly obvious that the best 2 or 3 teams in the state in 1a - 3a are private. Instead we are debating whether there are any privates who are anywhere near the best publics. Just looking at that discussion, what conclusion do you think someone who was from another country would come to if asked who had the advantages in Tennessee High School Football?

The argument gets much less conclusive if you look at the 10 years before the multiplier, but since we do have the multiplier, those who are arguing for the split are essentially arguing that since the multiplier the small privates have still dominated. With 7 of 9 state winners in 1-3a being public I'm thinking that conclusion must be biased.

Football isn't the only sport we are talking about. Your arguement is based solely on records in football. What about all the other sports?? Football is only ONE sport affected and when you talk basketball, golf, baseball, soccer, and volleyball the privates are much more dominant. I like how you conviently leave those sports out of your arguement time after time and only focus on the "football" aspect of it. Its the BIG picture we are talking about ALL THE SPORTS!

Soccer.... that's that communist sport, isn't it MVM?

I was told by a principle that it was "a third world sport"

But, For what ever reason privates do seem to dominate the "lesser" sports, and being a parent whose children have played the "lesser" sports its been frustating reading these post, because everything is aimed at what happens in Football. I will be the first to admit that I don't have the answer when it comes to Football, frankly I could care less about what happens with football and their divisions, much like the football fans on these threads could care less about the "lesser" sports.

For the lesser HS sports I am in favor of a merit system. Soccer fans and players are use to it and while its not totally perfect and I think it would be better than what we currently have.

Bid G, I checked out CAK and how your boys have done over the years ....IMPRESSIVE.

People like Baldcoach and "reaction" only see the "football" side of the multiplier system. They live in their "football world" and think that football is the only sport played or affected by the whole "PUBLIC VS PRIVATE" scenerio. When in fact its only ONE sport played in high school athletics and only the "boys" play this sport. Lets just forget about MENS AND WOMENS BASKETBALL, BASEBALL, SOFTBALL, GOLF, TENNIS, MENS AND WOMENS SOCCER, VOLLEYBALL, BOWLING, TRACK AND FIELD ETC... You see none of these sports matter to them, they could care less, all they are concerned about is if THEIR football team is able to win a state championship! Not just compete like alot of the smaller rural schools face year in and year out, NO SIR they want to be able to WIN a state championship every year! So thus the current system is so unfair to them because THEIR football teams dont win every game. The world is so unfair isn't it?? /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />