What the heck is a "level playing field"

Baldcoach

NO SIR they want to be able to WIN a state championship every year!

Isn't that everyone's goal? /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

My issue is the hypocracy that folks have here. There have never been two more dominant single teams in the state of TN than Maryville and Alcoa. BUT (and it is a big BUT) none of the "level playing field" folks talk about them. They like to talk about Ezell winning the championship one year and then CPA and then DCA. Individually, all those teams have a right to compete. Even beyond that now, they operate with the largest multiplier in the country without much complaint. One thing is for certain, they defintely have never, ever had a run like Maryville has in 4A and Alcoa in 2A.

I know you aren't so much a football person, but if you were - would you be jumping up and down about Maryville and Alcoa? Did you know that they are allowed to have out of zone kids attend school and play sports at both schools with a very nominal tuition (which I suspect isn't paid by most athletes)? Would you be jumping up and down if you knew that? In fact, the kids do NOT have to live in the city, county or state to attend either school.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then he knows better than the rest of us how dominant the private schools have been in that sport! /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Ya well my final game was against a public in the region finals. We lost. Guess that public school looked past all this public/private stuff and did the unthinkable huh. There have been plenty successful public school programs in A/AA soccer over the years. Not everyone can win a championship.

Ya well my final game was against a public in the region finals. We lost. Guess that public school looked past all this public/private stuff and did the unthinkable huh. There have been plenty successful public school programs in A/AA soccer over the years. Not everyone can win a championship.

Reaction sorry to here about your loss, was that 6 years ago? For the record since '04 there have been only 2 public schools to reach the girls soccer State tourny. For the record during that time period, private school sent 30 teams to the state tourny.

For the boys during that time period, 4 public schools have made to the finals while the privates have sent 28.

And yes I know soccer is a different animal than football. But I'm surprised that your not using your own quote to the private school football posters that "Not everyone can win a championship"

The advantage private schools have over public schools has been posted many times. You choose not to see or hear.

It's not a question of what public school can overcome those advantages. It's a question of public versus private schools as a class. Should the two be separated for the playoffs? Yes...they should.

Antwan,

I have seen and heard many advantages posted as THE advantage. And you and I both know that there are some publics that have all of the advantages attributed to the privates. Which of the many are you referring too?

And it IS a question of whether the privates have an advantage that the publics can't overcome. If not, why are they multiplied? Why would a split be legitimate?

Football isn't the only sport we are talking about. Your arguement is based solely on records in football. What about all the other sports?? Football is only ONE sport affected and when you talk basketball, golf, baseball, soccer, and volleyball the privates are much more dominant. I like how you conviently leave those sports out of your arguement time after time and only focus on the "football" aspect of it. Its the BIG picture we are talking about ALL THE SPORTS!

I don't know enough about all the sports to comment. I DO know that Football was and is what started DII and the multiplier, and it is the driving force behind the split talk. So that is what I concentrate on...not out of convenience, but out of common sense. And while YOU may be talking big picture as in all the sports, the TSSAA and most of the rest of us are looking at Football. I think the other sports are worth talking about, they just haven't been the primary drivers of the debate so far.

People like Baldcoach and "reaction" only see the "football" side of the multiplier system. They live in their "football world" and think that football is the only sport played or affected by the whole "PUBLIC VS PRIVATE" scenerio. When in fact its only ONE sport played in high school athletics and only the "boys" play this sport. Lets just forget about MENS AND WOMENS BASKETBALL, BASEBALL, SOFTBALL, GOLF, TENNIS, MENS AND WOMENS SOCCER, VOLLEYBALL, BOWLING, TRACK AND FIELD ETC... You see none of these sports matter to them, they could care less, all they are concerned about is if THEIR football team is able to win a state championship! Not just compete like alot of the smaller rural schools face year in and year out, NO SIR they want to be able to WIN a state championship every year! So thus the current system is so unfair to them because THEIR football teams dont win every game. The world is so unfair isn't it?? /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Wow Devil, you can read my mind. Cool!!! Let's do it some more!

Ok, I'm thinking of someone who was debating Football and small privates splitting, got his head handed to him because he didn't know very much, and changed the subject to other sports with no warning so that he could claim victory and that those who disagreed with him were unfair and mean and darn it, just didn't care! Without me giving too many hints, can you pick up my psychic waves like you did when you somehow became aware of my thoughts and motives in your last post?

Frankly, as I have said many times, playing in 2a has forced us to try to get better. In the long run that will help us. I argue for a merit system if we are going to use anything other than school population because a merit system ACTUALLY PUTS SCHOOLS WHERE THEY BELONG based on record, not someone's opinion about what advantages they may or may not have. It would put my team right where it is, or one division higher, so it isnt' helping us. But it is, unlike a multiplier for some schools (did you realize that the multiplier actually only makes a difference for 9 schools...betcha you didn't) and not for others with the same advantages, a fair system of classification.

Antwan,

I have seen and heard many advantages posted as THE advantage. And you and I both know that there are some publics that have all of the advantages attributed to the privates. Which of the many are you referring too?

And it IS a question of whether the privates have an advantage that the publics can't overcome. If not, why are they multiplied? Why would a split be legitimate?

It's not a question of overcoming the advantages private schools have. Heck...some 1a public schools have winning records over some 5a schools. I don't think that's an argument for putting them in the same class.

Small privates are almost all in urban areas. Small publics are almost all in rural areas. Small privates have more athletes...potentially...to choose from. That is a fact. I know you will try to use

Baldy-math to dispute...but I think the overall success of small privates against small publics supports that point. No...you don't have to go back 10 years to dispute that either. There are a couple of exceptions...but there always is. You always use Trousdale and South Pittsburg as examples. They have both had some pretty bad years recently. Not many small privates have had those down years.

Who are these small publics that have those advantages? Alcoa...that's one. Who else does?

A split would be just as legitimate as separating 1a schools from 5a schools.

Under the current format (meaning non-merit)...do you think aid giving privates should be separated from non-aid giving privates? If so...why? If not...why?

Wow Devil, you can read my mind. Cool!!! Let's do it some more!

Ok, I'm thinking of someone who was debating Football and small privates splitting, got his head handed to him because he didn't know very much, and changed the subject to other sports with no warning so that he could claim victory and that those who disagreed with him were unfair and mean and darn it, just didn't care! Without me giving too many hints, can you pick up my psychic waves like you did when you somehow became aware of my thoughts and motives in your last post?

Frankly, as I have said many times, playing in 2a has forced us to try to get better. In the long run that will help us. I argue for a merit system if we are going to use anything other than school population because a merit system ACTUALLY PUTS SCHOOLS WHERE THEY BELONG based on record, not someone's opinion about what advantages they may or may not have. It would put my team right where it is, or one division higher, so it isnt' helping us. But it is, unlike a multiplier for some schools (did you realize that the multiplier actually only makes a difference for 9 schools...betcha you didn't) and not for others with the same advantages, a fair system of classification.

Just curious...how many gold or silver balls do those 9 schools have? Actually...I think it's more like 11 schools it affects. CAK...BBS...CPA...DCA...Ezell...FRA...JCS...USJ...David Lipscomb...Knoxville Catholic...Notre Dame. Goodpasture has stayed in 2a because of the not moving up more than one class. KC and ND came directly from DII.

I don't know enough about all the sports to comment. I DO know that Football was and is what started DII and the multiplier, and it is the driving force behind the split talk. So that is what I concentrate on...not out of convenience, but out of common sense. And while YOU may be talking big picture as in all the sports, the TSSAA and most of the rest of us are looking at Football. I think the other sports are worth talking about, they just haven't been the primary drivers of the debate so far.

Bald, OMG we agree. Because Football has been the driving force behind all this debate. It has left the public school parents of the "lesser" sports, that privates DO dominate, totally frustrated with anger.

But Hey, To quote Reaction "Not everyone can win state championships" But, We (the public school parents of the "lesser" sports) have come to except our fate. Maybe it's time the private school football parents need to except your fate as well.

I agree it's not alot of fun starting each year knowing the cards are stacked againest you. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

WOW ! this maybe a first, but I AGREE with YOU. Not that I don't like or think other sports are important but football is the driving force behind this debate and will be the sport that causes any change that may occur. Now back to my senses , while i was reading the stuff about the other sports it appears that private schools dominate all of the RICH MANS games ex. Golf , Tennis etc.

Question? When was the last time a public school in A/AA won a soccer state title in girls or Boys?

Big G, do you know, Eurosport only goes back to '04. /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Ridgeway boys in 2002. The last year that CAK did not win.

Ridgeway girls in 2001. Their last of 4 straight.