Sullivan South Rebels

rebmom4life

It has taken me most of the day to recover from last night and decided to sign on and write a response to this thread. I was in Death Valley when the very first touchdown was scored by Mike Cook in 1981 and I have been a Sullivan South Rebel fan ever since. Over the years we have produced some great teams with many players going on to play at the next level. We also saw some lean years when the program was effectively forfeited. Then came Coach Carter and his staff who from the beginning have been focused on a well organized and diciplined program like that of the 80's teams. The past 4 years have provided a phenominal turn around for this program! We all owe this man and his staff a great deal of respect for what they have accomplished!

As far as the boys (the team, as a mom I still look at them as boys), they came together and have worked very hard to have made it to last nights game. I have had the opportunity to watch many of the seniors play together since 4th grade, having seemingly endless undefeated seasons, and winning championships. In addition, I have witnessed these young men become MEN with roots in their community, their churches, solid in academics, not to mention polite/humble atheletes. My husband and I have had made some of the best friends you could ask for during these years and enjoyed cheering the team on together! For the memories, the thrill of the game, the excellence you have displayed on and off the field, thank you to the Class of 2008! To all of those who will play at the next level we will continue to support you!

This next part is to the football mom's out there. Most of us have already witnessed our son's completing another rite of passage as they walked off the football field for this was the last time that they would ever play high school football and the last time that we would be able to cheer them on. As the tears rolled down my face last night it wasn't because of the loss as I know that each member of the team had played their all throughout the season, but instead because it was the end of a WONDERFUL ride! To the mom's who haven't faced this yet, win or loose next week you will. And to those mom's who are already there, you understand what I am saying.

So to end this;

To the SSHS Rebel underclassmen, you have the ability to continue with the standard that has been placed before you and I have no doubt you will! Continue in this tradition of excellence and be nice to my youngest who will begin this journey next year. This Rebel mom wishes you the BEST!

To the class of 2008 remember; the Thursday night suppers provided at local churches throughout the season and the meaningful messages from their clergy; Friday morning breakfasts with Haynie and crew; Friday morning parades down Moreland; senior players dance during pep ralley;pre-game meals; Rebel camp; bon fire parties; the friendships you made; and the cheer of a supportive crowd... YOU WILL BE MISSED!!

To the momma's out there, enjoy the ride and make every effort to participate in some way to support and encourage your son's.

And lastly, to the senior mom's this is my last load of nasty sweat drenched uniforms to wash, no more ironing the khaki pants and white shirt for away games, no more pregame meals, no more, no more, no more..and graduation looming ever nearer...I'll be thinking of all of you and your husbands too!

Good luck next week Rebels! (I had to say it one last time!) and Morgan Edwards, We love you!!!

Great ride South Rebels you played you heart out.Maryville just had to many weapons.I still say Curt is the best QB thats been around in a long time.I can remember a kid at South back in the late 80s,I beleive his name was Nicky Crawford that went to Yale or Cornell and played 3yrs.there.He was good but I think Curt is better.Rest up Rebels next year is rite around the corner.To the seniors best of luck at being adults and and handling everdays challenges in life.

Rebmom4life,

This was a most touching post from an obviously dedicated and loving mom. I called my wife over to read this one and even she teared up at your writings. It's parents everywhere like you who help mold these young men into productive citizens of tomorrow. You have made a lot of memories as your son has and you also have made life-long friends that will surround you the rest of your life. This is just the beginning of another chapter in your son's life. It too will be enjoyable even though you will be a little more removed from the scenes to come. Sounds like you threw in and worked your butt off as most dedicated parents do. That's why the Coaching staff really appreciates people like you. You can take care of the little things and they can get to the business of coaching. This has been an outstanding time for the South Football team and these young men. For many, it will be a once in a lifetime experience. Aren't you glad you were along for the ride. My hat is off to you dear mom and this old coach's heart aches for the young men who finished their last game. It is truly an emotional moment in their lives. Reality is about to set it and we all know that requires a lot from these young men. They have developed a rapport with the coaches that will carry them through the ups and downs of their lives. "To whom much is given, much is expected" When your son goes on out there in life and begins to give back to the community and to his family (as I expect he already is doing in some ways) you will know he has reached his final touchdown. God bless you "MOM."