Mr. Football Winners

HEATHHELTON

im from a small town in tennessee and don't follow high school too often, but it sounds like an all out fan battle is going on with this Smyrna kid winning Mr. Football. I wouldn't worry too much about it, if that RB is that good, he'll go on in his career and do great. This award won't affect that. Just Congratulations to all the winners. Talking about east Tennessee kids not doing well against middle and west tennessee, congratulations to Michael Hammons winning the Kicker of the Year, representing a county with only one high school, haha, and getting not only the first ever nomination for Mr. Football but winning it as well. Great kid, and nobody deserved it more. Most talented kicker in the state.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree on several of your points.

3. Rod having signed with the large Orange was a factor. Also Symrna is playing deeper in the play offs. Burnette hasn't signed and won the 4-A award. He like Sterling may not be a D I player but both are exceptional High School Players.

If I am not mistaken, the Mr Football voting deadline was Oct 31. That being said, the "who's still playing" argument is irrelevant. Even if it were Nov. 15, Farragut was still in the mix. Any press member shed light on that date?

Plain and simple..... Rod Wilks IS the best football player (non-lineman) in the state of Tennessee in the 5A classification. Taking nothing away from what Sterling did, but did he play ANY defense.....special teams? I think that aspect is getting lost in all of this. People are only looking at offensive stats. Rod is a COMPLETE football player. He rarely comes off the field. Returning kicks, punt team, you name it.... the only thing I don't remember seeing him play is kick off coverage, which I know he did last year.

this would give credance to the Phillips argument. but in my opinion the award goes to the best back (i.e. single position). its not an award for best athlete or Mr. Multi-Purpose.... though one of those two would be good categories for the Mr. Football to expand.

this would give credance to the Phillips argument. but in my opinion the award goes to the best back (i.e. single position). its not an award for best athlete or Mr. Multi-Purpose.... though one of those two would be good categories for the Mr. Football to expand.

That is the intent of the award....Back stands for Running"Back", Quarter"back", Defensive"Back"....It also includes Wide Receivers. Just because the word back is not in the position, it is still included in the award.

I think changing the name of the category would be the easiest solution. Instead of "Back" and Lineman, you would have "Best Skill" and Best Lineman. That's just my 2 cents worth.

What category should WR's be put into? Or do you just want to leave them out and not recognize them. Personally, I think they should change the category's name to Skill position. They have the "Lineman" award, but they include Line"Backers" in that one. Do you think that is fair? Or are you just griping because the argument fits for your player to win.

Plain and simple..... Rod Wilks IS the best football player (non-lineman) in the state of Tennessee in the 5A classification. Taking nothing away from what Sterling did, but did he play ANY defense.....special teams? I think that aspect is getting lost in all of this. People are only looking at offensive stats. Rod is a COMPLETE football player. He rarely comes off the field. Returning kicks, punt team, you name it.... the only thing I don't remember seeing him play is kick off coverage, which I know he did last year.

As somebody said earlier, the stats are not all that is voted on. It is about their academics and how they carry themselves as people. I cannot imagine a more deserving recipient than Mr. Wilks. Congratulation.

PLAIN AND SIMPLE ...... Andre Sterling should have won this award and the vote shouldn't have even been remotely close !!!! By looking at the stats, it sure does appear the Rod Wilks is a great football player and that he had a great year, but as good as his year was, it wasn't the 4th best year in TSSAA history (think about that for a minute....TSSAA all time history) for cryin' out loud, which is what Andre Sterling just did !!! The bottom line is, the only way to explain the fact that Andre did not get this award despite having had the 4th best season in TSSAA history, is that more voters are from middle TN and were biased towards a more local candidate. No other explanation fits, PERIOD !

That is the intent of the award....Back stands for Running"Back", Quarter"back", Defensive"Back"....It also includes Wide Receivers. Just because the word back is not in the position, it is still included in the award.

I think changing the name of the category would be the easiest solution. Instead of "Back" and Lineman, you would have "Best Skill" and Best Lineman. That's just my 2 cents worth.

read my entire post, and the one i was responding to. i was only saying that playing multiple positions should not give you an upper hand. i know that a WR is considered a back.

I understand Preston Baily, but I think Chris Jordan should have got the the D2-AA Back Award, no offense to Bartholmeau. Chris Jordan was a turf monster going to any school he wants in the SEC.

Like usual you make a comment that is insane. Chris Jordan only played in 5 or 6 games all season. He can't stay healthy, and he did nothing against the Big Red in the state championship game. Everybody on here made him out to be superman or something.

I wish CJ good luck at the next level, but he did not deserve this award.

here is my opinion of this...while i am very happy about RIVERDALE players getting the award...i promise you that verge and gaston will be very happy to give that award to anyone for a state championship....a lot of people didnt like that our players kept winning the award but out of all of them NONE of them while i talked to them during the off season or pre season or season ever talked about winning Mr Football they want the team awards while it may be a cliche gaston wanted to win state and verge wanted to win state so take it for what it is worth being nominated is an honor that sports writers has this opinion of you be glad and move on if your guy wins be happy for him if he doesnt then dont worry about it and go win state

GO WARRIORS AND CONGRATS VERGE and CONGRATS TO SPURLOCK FOR BEING NOMINATED wow to guys from one team on the line un real

read my entire post, and the one i was responding to. i was only saying that playing multiple positions should not give you an upper hand. i know that a WR is considered a back.

Why shouldn't it "give you an upper hand?" If a player is more versatile and does several different things at a very high level, shouldn't that count for something? I don't think the award is intended to just take one aspect of a person's game and compare that to one aspect of another person's game. If you just look at Rod's WR stats versus Sterling's RB stats, it does appear to be one-sided. What is not reflected in the stats is that Rod is "PROBABLY" the best Punt returner in the state in 5A, the best Kick Off return man in 5A, and one of the best Defensive Backs in 5A. If you look at Rod's "COMPLETE" body of work this year, versus Sterlings stats in my opinion Rod is the best player in 5A.

I understand that is just my opinion, and others have different ones that they are just as entitled to. Sterling had a great year. There is no denying that. I just think Rod is a little more deserving this year.

Like usual you make a comment that is insane. Chris Jordan only played in 5 or 6 games all season. He can't stay healthy, and he did nothing against the Big Red in the state championship game. Everybody on here made him out to be superman or something.

I wish CJ good luck at the next level, but he did not deserve this award.

Do you pay attention to MBA only? Any fan of high school football would know that Chris Jordan had 'insane' stats over the past 2 years, while all Bart did was block. CJ got shammed. In the only few games he palyed he put up more stats than the entire MBA backfield did this season. What did Bart do to BA the championship game? Nothing, that's right, they had 4 field goals. Picking Bart over Chris Jordan, thats insane, or I am sure there is so amount of money behind it. Learn 2 see stats, noob.

I think that Wilkes playing defense probably helped his case a little bit, but the only people who know for sure is the voters.

Obviously there is no Middle Tennessee bias in 4A though. East Tennesse clean sweep. Just an observation.

As for the Burnette Phillips debate...I watched them both play twice this year. I think that they got it right and here's why.

Burnette has never lost a football game as the starter, and he plays agains much MUCH tougher competition week in and week out. The argument that Phillips lead his team back from deficits only hurts his argument. That just means that those weaker teams from out east were enough to keep him in check so that they could build those leads against his team. That whole offense was built around Curt. That fact coupled with the weakness of that region explains the nintendo numbers that Phillips put up. Maryville is very mulitple on offense and likes to run the football as well as throw it. And I know this didn't play in to the voting, but when the two played on the same field Burnette was the better QB. All in all I think the voters got it right in 4A although there couldn't have been too much complaining if Phillips would have won. He is a pretty darn good athlete, and put up remarkable numbers

WOW! this award is a complete JOKE, this is darn ridiculous. Rod Wilks? are you kidding me? I am sure he is good but he is not andre sterling. The fact that Sterling did not win this award is reason enough to stop giving it. This kid is the BEST football player in the state, I don't care about where you have committed but watching this kid play is something special. This is ridiculous, for a kid to get ripped off like this is not right. I think every voter who had a say in this should take a long look at themselves in the mirror, this is a joke.

Oh and the fact that the Phillips kid didn't win it either is obsurd. Watching him lead his team to the semis with absolutly no help at all was amazing. Watching him run circles around the Maryville defense was spectcular, he completly out performed the Burnette kid. Burnette has a plethora of tremendous athletes to throw the ball to and they are capable of getting open and making plays, Phillips did not have this luxury and had to create plays by himself

Look quit grippin b/c who you like didnt win the award. You dont think watching Rod play is something special?? (Not saying the sterling isnt any good as i am sure he is) but even if sterling won this award you would prob still be on here saying that Rod should have won it.