Clarksville Slamfest

rileyfrazier

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can we get some names to go with those results?

Overton defeated Clarksville 34-31 in the 3rd place match of the Clarksville Slamfest

103: Ov dec Cl

112: Ov pin Cl

119: Cl dec Ov

125: Ov pin Cl

130: Cl maj dec Ov

135: Cl dec Ov

140: Cl pin Ov

145: Ov pin Cl

152: Cl win by forfeit

*160: Ov dec Cl

171: Ov dec Cl

189: Cl dec Ov

215: Ov pin Cl

Hwt: Cl win by forfeit

*Daniel White dec Brad Weakley 10-4

I've been all around the state and trust me there should of been a lot of stalling calls the other night in that gym up in clarksville, especially at the 171 lb weight class in the finals. The brentwood kids literally backed up 2/3 of the match he did get one take down but that was the only offense he had all night. Then again mid tennessee wrestlers wrestle that way for a reason they know it won't get called. Just an example of how bad one refs idea of a takedown was. both wrestlers were on there feet and one guy got behind the other without the guys hands going to the mat, both wrestlers were still standing. They then went out of bounds and the ref gave the kid a takedown. The coaches protested to the ref that that was not two and the ref said in rebuttle "he got behind him coach" he has to take the kid to the mat to score a takedown. That would work if it was a reversal but not a takedown. The officiating was eye opening. During the finals match when three of the refs were sitting down in chairs to rotate in they had their rule books out looking up stuff. That doesnt seen a very good message to anyone that you know what your doing.

I just wanted to add in that it doesn't worry me so much that the refs had their rule books out and were looking things up. From my view point, that is a good thing. At least they were interested and trying to learn and improve. Nothing worse than when an official even refuses to consult the rule book. I have sadly run into that many times. I would be even more concerned if the reffing was that bad and they weren't looking for things in the rule book!

He(mustain)didnt do anything,young fell on his back for 1/2 a second,but gave up back points,awful!! then the ENTIRE match he ran,he stepped forward,then walked backwards the ENTIRE match,then would stop and hold his eye,then guess what,stepforward,then walk back out of the circle.One time,maybe twice,but he kept doing it until the refs called it,guess what?,they didnt,so he kept running.young scored only because,he tipped toed the line to hold mustain in bounds,twice. Not to take away from brentwood,they wrestled great and if you can get away w/ something and it works then do it. One more thing,let's don't even get started on the kid,that bit Jake Young's arm several times and the REFs did NOTHING!! The tourney was great, all the schools were pretty fun to be around,one or two got a little emotional,but that's high school wrestling. Ooltewah won,which thats 2 tourney wins for the owls. good luck to everybody.

here is my two cents to Mustin's(with no a) defense. Mustin was poked in the eyes more than once. and there is also a rule against hands in the face. but im sure we will see a rematch. maybe in state.

here is my two cents to Mustin's(with no a) defense. Mustin was poked in the eyes more than once. and there is also a rule against hands in the face. but im sure we will see a rematch. maybe in state.

That's all part of our strategy. We spend the last 15 minutes of each practice going over an old Three Stooges video that covers 1. the one hand eye poke, 2. the one hand block with a flattened hand projecting out from the nose bridge, and 3. the two hand eye poke to counter item number 2.

31champ, turn off the computer before mommy catches you again.

I didn't go to the Clarksville tournament but every referee is unconsitent about calls sooner or later. Nobody's perfect. I agree it is hard to wrestle a guy that is stalling, especially if they know what they are doing, but you should still be good enough to find a way to beat the guy. You just have to go out there and find a way to win against different opponents. It's just like that in every sport.

Overton defeated Clarksville 34-31 in the 3rd place match of the Clarksville Slamfest

103: Ov dec Cl

112: Ov pin Cl

119: Cl dec Ov

125: Ov pin Cl

130: Cl maj dec Ov

135: Cl dec Ov

140: Cl pin Ov

145: Ov pin Cl

152: Cl win by forfeit

*160: Ov dec Cl

171: Ov dec Cl

189: Cl dec Ov

215: Ov pin Cl

Hwt: Cl win by forfeit

*Daniel White dec Brad Weakley 10-4

overton winning this one could be predicted, these 2 had a real tight match at the overton fall brawl if i remember correctly. evidently overton's loss at their tournament had them ready to hand clarksville a loss at slamfest. hopefully these two losses are motivators for clarksville high.

You just have to go out there and find a way to win against different opponents. It's just like that in every sport.

WOW, you must of heard a Lou Holtz (ND will go 10-2) pep talk on ESPN.

With the expection of skin diseases, stalling is the biggest problem facing this sport. It's an aquired spectator sport anyway, but if one of the guys is stalling it becomes terrible to watch. Why do you think in free style they have changed the rules to in event of a tie, the last one to score wins? The rules as they are currently written need to be enforced so that the aggressor who stays in the center of the mat is awarded. Most of the refs think stalling is what happens in the last minute of a match by the guy who is ahead.

The very first sentence in the rule book on stalling states, "Each wrestler is required to make an honest attempt to stay within the 10-foot circle and wrestle aggressively". The 10' circle is that center circle. By the rules, if you are started in the middle and take 2 steps back you are then out of the 10' circle and are stalling. When was the last time you saw that called except at the end of a match? If its your "style" to back and circle, then sorry - you can't play this game as that "style" is illegal (not my opinion - stated in the rules 7-6-1) and should be penalized.

It would help if the coaches would take their rule books to the table during these type of matches to inquire of the zebras as to why they are not enforcing the rules of staying in the center circle. I'm continually surprise how some of the coaches never get out of their chairs? Come on, you guys are your team's advocate. Hard to do that job well if you never object.

Walkenvol:

That is an excellent point. As a official that is often criticized for calling stalling more aggressively than most of my counterparts I make every conscious effort to call it in the first period as stringently as I do in the third period and beyond. This is not meant as a criticism of my fellow officials. I have the privilege and honor to work and learn from some of the very best the TSSAA has to offer and feel proud to be representing Middle TN. Given that,stalling is stalling if you are not making an honest attempt to score at ALL times during a match.

I was not at Slamfest on Saturday but I read an earlier post that was critical of a stalling call for the same wrestler in question. I called him for the same penalty at a match previously and was questioned by the coach because "he had shot 15 times during the match and the other wrestler had not". That is great but when the call was made it was made regardless of what he had done prior to the stalling call occuring. Stalling is not hinged on how often during the course of a match one has been the aggressor. This in no way is to make any type of insinuation towards Jake Young either. He is pound for pound one of the best in the state hands down. But as walkenvol stated stalling should be called consistently, fairly and by the rules. Alas it is when interjecting the human element subject to interpretation and that is where the debate begins.

Just my 2 cents

Walkenvol:

That is an excellent point. As a official that is often criticized for calling stalling more aggressively than most of my counterparts I make every conscious effort to call it in the first period as stringently as I do in the third period and beyond. This is not meant as a criticism of my fellow officials. I have the privilege and honor to work and learn from some of the very best the TSSAA has to offer and feel proud to be representing Middle TN. Given that,stalling is stalling if you are not making an honest attempt to score at ALL times during a match.

I was not at Slamfest on Saturday but I read an earlier post that was critical of a stalling call for the same wrestler in question. I called him for the same penalty at a match previously and was questioned by the coach because "he had shot 15 times during the match and the other wrestler had not". That is great but when the call was made it was made regardless of what he had done prior to the stalling call occuring. Stalling is not hinged on how often during the course of a match one has been the aggressor. This in no way is to make any type of insinuation towards Jake Young either. He is pound for pound one of the best in the state hands down. But as walkenvol stated stalling should be called consistently, fairly and by the rules. Alas it is when interjecting the human element subject to interpretation and that is where the debate begins.

Just my 2 cents

I think it is also important to not lump all referees at one tournament as horrible. To say the officiating was horrible is a broad statement and not fair. Most of the issues I saw with stalling and the bite marks on a wrestler were with one referee. This referee was also consistently slow on making his calls. There were some very good knowledgeable referees who I have watched call stalling(John Gannon being one) who were working this tournament. I know I am going to encourage our head referree in middle TN to re-emphasize the stalling issue the next time I see him.

Brentwood is good. They remind me of Cleveland??¦Several studs, lots of energy, every wrestler a fighter, fun to watch. Maybe a year behind where Cleveland is, but they are moving quickly in the right direction.

snip

Maybe because Brentwood's coach Blair prepped at Cleveland?

Congrats to the Owls. I was at the Blackman match on Friday and Ooltewah was impressive.