Maryville 93 Bearden 90 OT

chill

Sounded like a great game. I can't believe this game got no coverage in the Knoxville paper. It was obviously the biggest game of the night between two of the best teams in the state in AAA, and the only game they wrote about was Loudon vs Catholic. As said earlier, the Bulldogs might be in trouble when the rematch comes. If Jenkins and Simpson weren't able to carry them to victory last night, it will get much tougher when Douglas is in the middle. The rematch will also be at Maryville on that rubber floor that I hate so much. I don't remember Humphrey putting up the numbers that Damron did last night. I need to see this kid play.

Covering High School Basketball is an after thought for the Sentinel. Box scores of the games is about as good as it gets.

Damron is a very good shooter/ scores. Automatic from 25 feet is a bit of an exaggeration. I would think that Bearden would be able to defend a little better. Giving up 42 to one player and 93 to the team is a indication of pretty porous defense. Matter in fact Maryville must have taken the night off on defense as well.

I look for Bearden as well as Maryville to be much improved on the defensive end by their next meeting.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Covering High School Basketball is an after thought for the Sentinel. Box scores of the games is about as good as it gets.

Damron is a very good shooter/ scores. Automatic from 25 feet is a bit of an exaggeration. I would think that Bearden would be able to defend a little better. Giving up 42 to one player and 93 to the team is a indication of pretty porous defense. Matter in fact Maryville must have taken the night off on defense as well.

I look for Bearden as well as Maryville to be much improved on the defensive end by their next meeting.

I agree that 93-90 sounds like no defense on the surface, but it was 77-77 at end of regulation, which is still high scoring, but in the era of 3 pointers isn't quite as bad.

But I do agree with you that the defense will be better by both teams the next time they play.

Sounded like a great game. I can't believe this game got no coverage in the Knoxville paper. It was obviously the biggest game of the night between two of the best teams in the state in AAA, and the only game they wrote about was Loudon vs Catholic. As said earlier, the Bulldogs might be in trouble when the rematch comes. If Jenkins and Simpson weren't able to carry them to victory last night, it will get much tougher when Douglas is in the middle. The rematch will also be at Maryville on that rubber floor that I hate so much. I don't remember Humphrey putting up the numbers that Damron did last night. I need to see this kid play.

I remember Humphrey having a night like that. I don't think anyone is making comparisons between the two but Damron is a very good player.

I attended this game last night and I have to say it was one of the best high school basketball games I have ever seen. It was back and forth the whole game and alot of fun to watch.

Both of these teams are coached very well and both have the athletes to take them to state. This will be a battle for the district and region. As for my thoughts on the game: Breaden has more depth than Maryville does right now, that may change however by the time they meet again. Jenkins is Bearden's best player by far however he did guard Damron all night before he fouled out and he put up 42!!! Simpson is a good player down low but did not dominate the boards like I thought he should have... still he scored 27 that shuts me up. Jenkins makes dunking look so easy. And I cant believe the craig kid from bearden is not in the startng lineup, he does the little things so well (boxes out, defends, follows shots) I thought he should have played more. Its obvious Coach Blevins is a fabulous coach and all his Breaden teams are very fundamentaly sound. As for Maryville they do not have much of a bench right bow. They did have some kids that looked like they had potential but when they were in late in the game they looked scared to death. Click is ALOT better than last year... he does a lot of things well nad can even bang down low. Lambert is a pure shooter and when you get up in his face he will take you to the whole. Click and Lambert are capable to put up 20 on any night. Reynolds has developed a mini hook shot that I never saw last year that he scored most of his 17 on. Walker is a solid defender and kept Beardens PG in check all night... he is also a very intense player. And finally, Ill go ahead and make a BOLD prediction: Damron will carry this team back to the state tournament... He shot alot last night, but my lord he hit most of em... that kid is one heck of a player and can drain 3's; he is very quick with the dribble and to the whole before you know it. Coach E does a great job of putting these kids in position to make plays... I like what he is doing at MHS. Also Maryville has the best assistant coach in the state: scott west; now this guy has some intesity

Oak Ridge travels to Maryville on Monday night and I hope they can stay in the gym with this high powered attack. It looks like District Four will be exciting all season long and when the Region rolls around even better. I wish Bearden was on our schedule too. Maybe next year.

Oak Ridge is playing very well and is undefeated. They blew out Science Hill in Johnson City. I absolutely believe Oak Ridge can stay on the court with Maryville......... heck it wouldn't surprise me at all if Oak Ridge beat Maryville. I think the key for Oak Ridge is their team chemistry, which I heard was sometimes not that great last year. Quinche Dowdell is maybe the best player in East Tennessee and has already signed D1 with Appalachian State. If they play together, they can play with anybody in the state.

Jenkins is Beardens best defender and Damron scored 42 on him. Damron must be a stud! How tall is he? Who is recruiting him?

Jenkins will struggle to guard quick perimeter players. No knock on him, but he just doesn't have the quickness and footspeed to stay with them. He obviously has the length to bother their shot but if he presses up to stop the shot, they will drive past him.

Damron is about 6"0" and plays like a 2 guard. He's a excellent shooter but not the greatest of athletes. Playing at the next level he's almost a tweener, too small and not athletic enough to play the 2 and not quite quick enough and strong enough as a ball handler to play the 1 at a high level. He's got the attention of the "local" teams (C-N, King, Milligan,etc.) but doesn't have any offers yet. He's in an ideal situation with 2 other perimeter players in Lambert and Click that stretch the defense to prevent helping on him and a great post player in Douglas (and Reynolds to a degree) that will draw double and triple teams leaving the guards with open looks. He will do a great job knocking it down when he gets those looks. The state championship game is a great example. He's a good student and a good kid that will make one of these schools an excellent player. That being said, he's no where close to Lee Humphrey.

Maryville is tough. Damron is a amazing shooter. He can light it up from anywhere on the court. Plus it helps when your 2 and 3 guards dont miss from behind the arch. It will be exciting to see how bad Maryville beats teams when ever they get the big boy back from football.

Don't give the region crown to Maryville just yet. Oak Ridge, Bearden and Farragut all are quite capable teams with experienced coaches. Maryville only has one major contributor on the football team this year, so it is unlikely they will show the improvement into February the have in previous years. I still think the region is a complete toss-up.

I attended this game last night and I have to say it was one of the best high school basketball games I have ever seen. It was back and forth the whole game and alot of fun to watch.

Both of these teams are coached very well and both have the athletes to take them to state. This will be a battle for the district and region. As for my thoughts on the game: Breaden has more depth than Maryville does right now, that may change however by the time they meet again. Jenkins is Bearden's best player by far however he did guard Damron all night before he fouled out and he put up 42!!! Simpson is a good player down low but did not dominate the boards like I thought he should have... still he scored 27 that shuts me up. Jenkins makes dunking look so easy. And I cant believe the craig kid from bearden is not in the startng lineup, he does the little things so well (boxes out, defends, follows shots) I thought he should have played more. Its obvious Coach Blevins is a fabulous coach and all his Breaden teams are very fundamentaly sound. As for Maryville they do not have much of a bench right bow. They did have some kids that looked like they had potential but when they were in late in the game they looked scared to death. Click is ALOT better than last year... he does a lot of things well nad can even bang down low. Lambert is a pure shooter and when you get up in his face he will take you to the whole. Click and Lambert are capable to put up 20 on any night. Reynolds has developed a mini hook shot that I never saw last year that he scored most of his 17 on. Walker is a solid defender and kept Beardens PG in check all night... he is also a very intense player. And finally, Ill go ahead and make a BOLD prediction: Damron will carry this team back to the state tournament... He shot alot last night, but my lord he hit most of em... that kid is one heck of a player and can drain 3's; he is very quick with the dribble and to the whole before you know it. Coach E does a great job of putting these kids in position to make plays... I like what he is doing at MHS. Also Maryville has the best assistant coach in the state: scott west; now this guy has some intesity

Best Assistant in the state haha u got to be kidding me this guy is the biggest joke he couldnt even make it as a girls coach at Maryville so Eldridge needed some help.

Don't give the region crown to Maryville just yet. Oak Ridge, Bearden and Farragut all are quite capable teams with experienced coaches. Maryville only has one major contributor on the football team this year, so it is unlikely they will show the improvement into February the have in previous years. I still think the region is a complete toss-up.

Yea i think ur very right on this one. I would have to say this is a very long season and already crowning Maryville region champs is pretty tough. If im not mistaken other than last year Maryville hadnt got out of the region in a long time since Lees days. I am gonna go on a shot with putting oak Ridge and Bearden on top of the region this year. Repeats only come in football at Maryville.