Best Alcoa Team of All-Time

alcoa06

If that's not the truth, I'll kiss......

I believe that the 2000 team doesnt get as much respect because they didnt have all the D-1A players that 89 and 05 had although they still had 3 play at etsu and 1 go to carson-newman. I believe the reason alcoachamp5 said the 2000 secondary was better is because through 15 games they only gave up 2 td passes (wb and goodpasture, both on 5'2 iven mayes). Also, the numbers that the defense put up that season were unreal. To give up 7.2 ppg though 15 games, with the most points given up is 20 in the state championship game is unheard of. Those numbers include the blowout games when the subs were in. D-1, all-americans or not, when you go 15-0 and give up 7 ppg you have to be included in something. 2005's defense with all of those sec-acc players still gave up 12.3. A lot of the success by the 2005 secondary came because of the 2005 D-line at alcoa, which I would have to say was the best ever, making qbs run for their lives. I would say those three teams, 89,00, 05 are the best three and its a fun debate. I would like to see if one of these teams from the next few years will be able to throw their hats into the race as one of the best. I hope so

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many people have pointed out that 2000 and 1989 were the only two teams to beat Maryville but you must take this into consideration Maryvile was not as dominant those years as they have been in more recent years. In 1989 maryville was 5-5 so that point is null, and in 2000 Maryvile lost its first four games including a 28 point loss to heritage it is pretty obvious to me that that was not a typical maryvile team at that point in the season. Yes Meschendorf was a great player and was probaly the overall MVP of the title game until he left late injured but he was no more talented than Kyrus. The secondary in 2000 played no one that could throw in any half way decent maner. I would also like you to answer me what team threw for more than 100 yds on the 2005 first other than Maryville. Mr.Rainer you should know better than anyone that the speed and agility of the 2000 team would run by the 2005 team but they would not throw on them. This is largely because the wing T prevents the use of drop back passing due to the motion and decption involved in offense. Most all pass plays involve a one step drop or the quaterback to boot out to one side of the field effectivley limiting the play to work to only one side of the field. This is how the offense was intended to work since its inception in bay city michigan.

First off, that 2000 heritage team was probably their best team ever! Did you even come to any games in 2000? If you did then you'd know that we just didn't run the wing t. We went 4 and 5 wide when we threw the ball also, and how dare you say that lanxter was as good as meschendorf! Kyrus made great plays, but he wasn't physical at all. Messy seemed to be in the right place all the time and he was as smart as they come on the field. He did make all-state at safety! 7 from 00 make all-state, now that's hard to do on any team! the 05 team was bigger up front and had play makers, but their db's weren't that great! Good, but not great!

I watched some of the games back then and remember Meschendorf and he was better than Kyrus. Kyrus could run in open field but he was never physical. I would put my money on Sam Thompson making a key open field tackle than Kyrus, in fact I think I remember Sam have a key solo tackle against McCalie in the final minutes.

Sam Thompson reminds me a lot of Jonathon Meschendorf. Meschendorf was faster though. Meschendorf made a great play in the Maryville game that year. He hit Colton Baker and flipped him in the air. The 2000 team was mostly juniors from what I remember. I remember their defense having nearly everyone back for 2001. But! Losing Garner and Meschendorf was too much to overcome. Those guys would clean your clock.

On offense the 2004,06 and 06 teams could big play you but mostly they were a grind it out offense. The 2000 offense didn't have long sustaining drives. They big played you to death. I watched all their games on playback that year. I saw a ton of 1 play 80 yard runs that year.

The 2000 Alcoa team and the 1993 Cleveland team were the fastest teams I ever seen Maryville play. The Cleveland 93 team was by far the most superior team I ever seen a Maryville team play. Imagine Alcoa fans if Alcoa in 2000 averaged 270lbs a man on the Oline that was road graders,Plus a 6'6 tight end. All those guys looked like grown men. One of those linemen had a full grown beard. That is what that Cleveland team had. Skill wise the 93 Cleveland team had Cory Prigmore at quarterback. He was comparable to Michael George. Kevin and Keith Cobb were state champs in track. They both played at Memphis. One of them was the guy who returned the kickoff vs UT in 1996 when Memphis upset UT.Those guys were close to having the same kind of speed Rainer had

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyR-t2fTAn8

Dante Hickey was another stud on that Cleveland team. That guy had NFL written on him but didn't make the grades.

I played on that 89 Kingston team and we were the 2nd best team in the State that year behind Alcoa. You talk about size, speed, and depth, Jamie Henry 6'3 215, Mitchell 6'3 230 and both ran like deer, not to mention Chad Smith, Kevin Jackson, and maybe the fastest player in Alcoa History Billy Williams, two NFL players. Back then only 2 teams made the playoffs and there were only 3 divisions state wide and public and privates were together. As far as AE and Loudon they both were really good with players like Psalm Bailey, Jabbar Troutman, and Joey Hardy, even Harriman was good they went 8-2 and didn't make the playoffs. That 89 team beat a Brentwood Academy team like a drum in the championship game, Alcoa toughest game that year was Kingston. That team could have dominated any team in the state that year, you cant say that about the 2000 team. You mentioned Cory Anderson, he would have had a hard time starting on that 89 team, I saw both teams play, 89 without a doubt is better, this one of the best teams to ever lace it up in the entire state.

I was a member of that 89 Loudon squad, and really remembering not having an answer for Williams. They beat us 20-14 in the first round of the playoffs at Alcoa. Loudon and Kingston were the only teams to touch Alcoa that year.

I was a member of that 89 Loudon squad, and really remembering not having an answer for Williams. They beat us 20-14 in the first round of the playoffs at Alcoa. Loudon and Kingston were the only teams to touch Alcoa that year.

I still own those two playoff games on tape and you guys were pretty good. It seemed like all teams in the area were good and athletic. Even seymour looked good on tape.

Rebelron you always seem to hit it right on the head. All of your post seem to make the most sense out of everyone. I do remember hearing about that 93 cleveland team. I didn't get to see them in person but I heard alot about them.

I remember them too well because they put 70 on the board vs Maryville. I remember me,my brother and some other guys were guessing how many plays it would take Cleveland to score.

• 2 weeks later...