White Co. v. Oakland

MidTennFootball

If WC plays with Puckett underneath they will win. If they don't and shoot the ball as soon as they pass the center line it will go as it has the last 4 or 5 games. When you have a guy who is almost 6'7" and he only gets the ball thrown to him 3 or 4 time a quarter something is wrong. If it is a point thing with the guards maybe they need to just quit keeping up with points and play to win the game. Winning the game FOR THE TEAM AND FOR THE SCHOOL should be whats important. When the ball is thrown inside it draws the defense inside and Puckett can and does feed the ball back to an open guard when he does not have a good shot. Somehow after the tournament it seems that all everyone has on their mind is shooting the ball as soon as they get it. Plays have always worked in basketball and they still do but they have to be set up and the coach needs to make them do it. They are a good group of kids so hopefully they will work things out. There is an awful lot of talent on that team to just throw it all away . I heard that Puckett had just gotten over a virous and his sugar was bottoming out in the Lebanon game and that is why he could not get up and down the floor quickly, sometimes he just didn't hardly know where he was.

I know that kids want to play in all their games but sometimes you might be better off if you didn't try to if you're sick.

You do make some very important points about Puckett. Puckett is an important part of this team maybe the most important. But against an undersized team yes you play him inside and most likely he will dominate and yes he will feed it back out if needed. One problem I see for the warriors is if the opponent has one or even two other big men it is extremely hard to feed it over them to him and then harder to score or feed it back out. I could almost see Oakland packing in the zone Tuesday night to try to make WC shoot from outside and if they start hitting as we know they are capable of then it will open up the middle more. Oakland will not just let him have his way because we pass it in to him. I say shoot the three loosen up the middle then balance it out between the two. I also like to see Puckett shoot that 3 point shot. That has to be very intimidating to the other team to see that giant out there shooting a three.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You do make some very important points about Puckett. Puckett is an important part of this team maybe the most important. But against an undersized team yes you play him inside and most likely he will dominate and yes he will feed it back out if needed. One problem I see for the warriors is if the opponent has one or even two other big men it is extremely hard to feed it over them to him and then harder to score or feed it back out. I could almost see Oakland packing in the zone Tuesday night to try to make WC shoot from outside and if they start hitting as we know they are capable of then it will open up the middle more. Oakland will not just let him have his way because we pass it in to him. I say shoot the three loosen up the middle then balance it out between the two. I also like to see Puckett shoot that 3 point shot. That has to be very intimidating to the other team to see that giant out there shooting a three.

I dont think you will see a zone for Oakland, least not for the sake of trying to pack it in against Puckett. Traditionally when Oakland has gameplanned for a pretty good post, alot of the times that player will see consistent double teams when he touches the ball. This time around could very well be different, but I feel good about this matchup, because Oakland always seems to do a good job of getting out and contesting Sparta's shooters.

I think White Co. will take the win. Even though they had a bad game at Lebanon everyone knows they are an excellent ball club. I think that the Warriors were off, but the day out of school could've been part of it. You get off routine and things feel different. Yes, the team may have had a bad playing night and coaching night, but routine does count even though ppl don't realize it. The boys have got to be more encouraged and get out of the rut from their losses. If everything is working for sparta i think Oakland will be blowed out of the gym. Just my opinion though.

I dont think you will see a zone for Oakland, least not for the sake of trying to pack it in against Puckett. Traditionally when Oakland has gameplanned for a pretty good post, alot of the times that player will see consistent double teams when he touches the ball. This time around could very well be different, but I feel good about this matchup, because Oakland always seems to do a good job of getting out and contesting Sparta's shooters.

Dyer tried to double team him and he was feeding it back out to wide open shooters. I will go out on a limb and guess thet Oakland will be a bigger line up than Dyer. Oakland won't be as quick as Dyer they were the quickest team I have seen in a long time maybe the quickest ever .I'd like to say WC pulls this one out they certainly have the talent to do so but who knows they have to put it on the floor.

AH don't worry about sparta no more there not a threat any more not as long as white co. keeps Mitchell as head coach. You should have seen him friday night,he didn't even try to coach his boys in any way,oh wait he did say something about rebounding during one time out, also seen him call a timeout and said nothing when your head coach sets on the bench with his head lookin at his shoes whats your players think,they played like they were coached friday night.Sparta has so much tallent there is no reason for a loss like that.Dyer county was twice the team lebanon is but i will give Mitchell a little credit that was the best game i ever seen him coach while he's been at white co.But anyway if he keeps the same attitude he has had lately and no matter that white co. is the best team in 7AAA (not as long as Mitchell is coach) there not gonna be much a factor in the district this year and it's a shame these Boys should go to State this year.If i had a kid coming up to highschool right now i would be worried,last year we had a winning freshmen team we get rid of the coach and now with more tallent they have a losing freshmen team this year.There is so much tallent right now in sparta from 5th grade through,i just hope sparta can start keeping the good coach's around other then keeping babysitters. As you can tell i'm upset at the basketball program in white co. right now but there is several of us that sat behind the sparta bench friday night that feel the same way and i'm sure they will voice there thoughts to. But if the coaching does not get any better the rest of the way, were in for more beatings not just get beat but took to the wood shed. Oakland will kick our butts 74-52 watch and see.....

This is a terrible post and flat out wrong,you cant coach heart and the boys not all but most just flat out quit on coach the other night.We were not sprinting back on defense you cant coach heart!!!They are capable of bouncing back if they play hard but if they go through the motions tuesday will get ugly.Do you think he coached the lebanon game any different than dyer heck no if you couldn see the difference in intensity by the kids in those two games something is wrong.The kids need to search deep and get back to griitty warriors basketball

AH don't worry about sparta no more there not a threat any more not as long as white co. keeps Mitchell as head coach. You should have seen him friday night,he didn't even try to coach his boys in any way,oh wait he did say something about rebounding during one time out, also seen him call a timeout and said nothing when your head coach sets on the bench with his head lookin at his shoes whats your players think,they played like they were coached friday night.Sparta has so much tallent there is no reason for a loss like that.Dyer county was twice the team lebanon is but i will give Mitchell a little credit that was the best game i ever seen him coach while he's been at white co.But anyway if he keeps the same attitude he has had lately and no matter that white co. is the best team in 7AAA (not as long as Mitchell is coach) there not gonna be much a factor in the district this year and it's a shame these Boys should go to State this year.If i had a kid coming up to highschool right now i would be worried,last year we had a winning freshmen team we get rid of the coach and now with more tallent they have a losing freshmen team this year.There is so much tallent right now in sparta from 5th grade through,i just hope sparta can start keeping the good coach's around other then keeping babysitters. As you can tell i'm upset at the basketball program in white co. right now but there is several of us that sat behind the sparta bench friday night that feel the same way and i'm sure they will voice there thoughts to. But if the coaching does not get any better the rest of the way, were in for more beatings not just get beat but took to the wood shed. Oakland will kick our butts 74-52 watch and see.....

Talent your idea of talent and mine must be different an average 8th grade team last year and a 9th grade team that went 0-25 seriously talent?The 5th and 6th grade teams look good but who knows how much they will develop or grow or even keep playing when they get older.The team we have now is 5 deep we cant get any decent minutes right now from the bench.Kids play with passion and heart when they have to compete in practice but wc has no one to push them so they can step it up or fold the tent its solely up to the kids.They can do it so guys if your reading this leave it on the court play hard and thats all we can ask.

I think White Co. will take the win. Even though they had a bad game at Lebanon everyone knows they are an excellent ball club. I think that the Warriors were off, but the day out of school could've been part of it. You get off routine and things feel different. Yes, the team may have had a bad playing night and coaching night, but routine does count even though ppl don't realize it. The boys have got to be more encouraged and get out of the rut from their losses. If everything is working for sparta i think Oakland will be blowed out of the gym. Just my opinion though.

Sparta may win, but they arent going to blow oakland out of their own gym, or any gym for that matter. If Lebanon is an excellent club, what does that make Oakland? This post just doesnt make sense

I don't know how many times Oakland has been "blowed out" in their own gym, but i guarantee it has only been a handful in the last 20 years. If WC plays really good they will win, but you SELDOM blow Oakalnd out of their gym.

I don't know how many times Oakland has been "blowed out" in their own gym, but i guarantee it has only been a handful in the last 20 years. If WC plays really good they will win, but you SELDOM blow Oakalnd out of their gym.

Ive followed Oakland since the early 90's and no game immediately sticks out that Oakland has gotten blown out at home.

Ive followed Oakland since the early 90's and no game immediately sticks out that Oakland has gotten blown out at home.

The only time I can recall was when White County beat Oakland at Oakland in the district championship of 98 or 99. I think WC led by 20+ or so at the half and cruised to the victory. {maybe 30 points?}

The only time I can recall was when White County beat Oakland at Oakland in the district championship of 98 or 99. I think WC led by 20+ or so at the half and cruised to the victory. {maybe 30 points?}

I remember the game you are talking about, but that game was at Riverdale. White Co. was shooting an insane percentage that night.